Alpine Info?

david

Nov 6, 2006, 4:50:47 PM11/6/06
I assume many of you are aware of the Alpine project that the Pine team is
doing... it's slipped its date a bit, so public info isn't available.
Since Pine is a newsreader (and a nice one, too), I am assuming that Alpine
is also. Have any of the good folks on this NG had any info on the
newsreader capabilities of Alpine? I posted this also on
news.software.readers because the thought of a new client from the makers
of Pine is exciting news... :) Thanks.
--
_____
david

Mark Crispin

Nov 6, 2006, 5:57:08 PM11/6/06
On Mon, 6 Nov 2006, david wrote:
> I assume many of you are aware of the Alpine project that the Pine team is
> doing... it's slipped its date a bit, so public info isn't available.
> Since Pine is a newsreader (and a nice one, too), I am assuming that Alpine
> is also. Have any of the good folks on this NG had any info on the
> newsreader capabilities of Alpine?

It is a safe assumption that any capabilities possessed by Pine are also
in Alpine. Alpine was originally Pine 5.00, and as such it inherits a
good deal of its code from Pine. But there's a lot that is new too.

A Pine user will find Alpine to be very familiar.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc

david

Nov 9, 2006, 10:12:28 AM11/9/06
On 06 Nov 2006 david read the comp.mail.pine post of Mark Crispin, which
stated...

> On Mon, 6 Nov 2006, david wrote:
>> I assume many of you are aware of the Alpine project that the Pine
>> team is doing... it's slipped its date a bit, so public info isn't
>> available. Since Pine is a newsreader (and a nice one, too), I am
>> assuming that Alpine is also. Have any of the good folks on this NG
>> had any info on the newsreader capabilities of Alpine?
>
> It is a safe assumption that any capabilities possessed by Pine are
> also in Alpine. Alpine was originally Pine 5.00, and as such it
> inherits a good deal of its code from Pine. But there's a lot that is
> new too.
>
> A Pine user will find Alpine to be very familiar.
>
> -- Mark --

I realize any development team can only support so many products. Since
Alpine was originally to be Pine 5.00, does this hint that Pine is in its
autumn years/months? Or does the Pine development team plan to move ahead
with two products - Alpine and Pine? thanks for the info.

--
_____
david

Mark Crispin

Nov 9, 2006, 10:55:08 AM11/9/06
On Thu, 9 Nov 2006, david wrote:
> I realize any development team can only support so many products. Since
> Alpine was originally to be Pine 5.00, does this hint that Pine is in its
> autumn years/months? Or does the Pine development team plan to move ahead
> with two products - Alpine and Pine? thanks for the info.

Alpine is the successor, and hence replacement, for Pine 4.64; just as
Pine 4.64 was the successor, and hence replacement, for Pine 4.63 and all
earlier versions.

Once Alpine is released, I doubt very much that it will be different than
with any other new version of Pine. That is, we'll read messages about
the older versions and answer questions (within reason), but we'll only
develop patches for the current version (which in this case will be
Alpine). If someone has a problem in Pine that's resolved in Alpine, our
advice would be to upgrade to Alpine.

I can't think of any reason not to upgrade to Alpine once Alpine is
released. Most people will probably have "pine" as an alias or link to
"alpine". Alpine reads and uses all the familiar configuration files from
Pine; you will still use your .pinerc files and all your other
configurations. Using Alpine will be just like using a newer, better,
version of Pine.

david

Nov 9, 2006, 12:13:22 PM11/9/06
On 09 Nov 2006 david read the comp.mail.pine post of Mark Crispin, which
stated...

> Using Alpine will be just like using a newer, better,

> version of Pine.
>
> -- Mark --

Okay. I'm psych'd! I'll look forward to it. Thanks for the info. :)

--
_____
david

Allodoxaphobia

Nov 9, 2006, 12:15:08 PM11/9/06
On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 07:55:08 -0800, Mark Crispin wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Nov 2006, david wrote:
>> I realize any development team can only support so many products. Since
>> Alpine was originally to be Pine 5.00, does this hint that Pine is in its
>> autumn years/months? Or does the Pine development team plan to move ahead
>> with two products - Alpine and Pine? thanks for the info.
>
> Alpine is the successor, and hence replacement, for Pine 4.64; just as
> Pine 4.64 was the successor, and hence replacement, for Pine 4.63 and all
> earlier versions.
>
> Once Alpine is released, I doubt very much that it will be different than
> with any other new version of Pine. That is, we'll read messages about
> the older versions and answer questions (within reason), but we'll only
> develop patches for the current version (which in this case will be
> Alpine). If someone has a problem in Pine that's resolved in Alpine, our
> advice would be to upgrade to Alpine.
>
> I can't think of any reason not to upgrade to Alpine once Alpine is
> released. Most people will probably have "pine" as an alias or link to
> "alpine". Alpine reads and uses all the familiar configuration files from
> Pine; you will still use your .pinerc files and all your other
> configurations. Using Alpine will be just like using a newer, better,
> version of Pine.

And, we'll end up with at least 2 ng's here:

comp.mail.pine and comp.mail.alpine

where, just like in:

alt.os.linux.mandrake and alt.os.linux.mandriva

folks will have to follow both ng's and post in both ng's to properly
'cover the bases' when discussing (al)pine.

(-: So, who's this "Al" guy anyway, and how large was his gift to have
his name placed on the product? :-)

Jonesy -- with pine since I cannot remember when....
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
*** Killfiling google posts: <http//jonz.net/ng.htm>

david

Nov 9, 2006, 12:37:27 PM11/9/06
On 09 Nov 2006 david read the comp.mail.pine post of Allodoxaphobia, which
stated...

> And, we'll end up with at least 2 ng's here:
>
> comp.mail.pine and comp.mail.alpine

well, I would hope that you're wrong. If, as Mark indicates, Alpine is an
evolutionary version, renamed because of many new features, that we would
continue with one NG. I like Pine, also, and am inferring from what Mark
shared that it's a better Pine. :)

--
_____
david

Guido Ostkamp

Nov 10, 2006, 1:08:46 PM11/10/06
Mark Crispin <m...@cac.washington.edu> wrote:
> Alpine is the successor, and hence replacement, for Pine 4.64; just
> as Pine 4.64 was the successor, and hence replacement, for Pine 4.63
> and all earlier versions.

'Pine' was an acronym for 'Pine is not ELM'.
What's behind the name 'Alpine'?

Regards,

Guido

Mark Crispin

Nov 10, 2006, 4:06:39 PM11/10/06
On Fri, 10 Nov 2006, Guido Ostkamp wrote:
> 'Pine' was an acronym for 'Pine is not ELM'.

Although that is commonly believed, it is incorrect. LGL (the original
author of Pine) explains in:
http://www.island-resort.com/pine.htm
that Pine's acronym history was
Pine Is Nearly Elm
as Elm was the starting point of Pine, then become
Pine Is No-longer Elm
when the last of the Elm code vanished from Pine, then
Pine Is Neologistically Elm
and finally the offical UW acronym
Program for Internet News & Email

In any case, Pine never stood for "Pine Is Not Elm". We are happy to
acknowledge the influence of Elm, even though there is no longer any Elm
code in Pine.

> What's behind the name 'Alpine'?

I don't think that this has been officially decided yet. Maybe there
won't be one.

david

Nov 10, 2006, 6:05:33 PM11/10/06
On 10 Nov 2006 david read the comp.mail.pine post of Mark Crispin, which
stated...

>> What's behind the name 'Alpine'?

> I don't think that this has been officially decided yet. Maybe there
> won't be one.
>
> -- Mark --

I do hope that my earlier posts didn't unleash an avalanche of negative
comments on the new Alpine. I am enthused that the Pine development group
is doing this and raising Pine to a new level. I do agree that it is
sometimes an adrenaline boost to change the name. Go for it, I say... :) I
signed up as an alpha tester and am looking forward to participating in
what I believe will be a great experience... I applaud the Pine team for
taking this positive move. thanks.. :)

--
_____
david