How do I disable the "Insert" key?

j...@unspameljefe.net

Nov 26, 2007, 4:44:01 PM11/26/07
Much has been written about the PC keyboard's annoying "Insert" key,
and even a few programs have been written to disable it. I have one of
those programs running, and I long ago pulled the key right off the
keyboard, just to keep from hitting it.

But something in the Eudora keypad process toggles it back on. It's
got to be some kind of Ctrl+ or Shift+ deal, as it seems to happens
after I've hit the wrong combination of keys on the left side of my
keyboard. And it's Eudora (6.2) message area-specific. IOW, it only
overwrites in the message body. If I need to correct something in the
Subject header, there's no insert/overwrite problem.

I couldn't find anything in the Eudora Help section. Does anybody know
how to shut the "Insert" feature off by key command?

(And btw, even though I'm getting overwriting in Eudora right now, I'm
not getting it here in Free Agent Reader 1.92. Nor am I getting it in
Word 2000, since I activated CapsUnlock 1.4 and checked "Disable
Insert.")

Thanks!

JJ

Daniel Jacobson

Nov 27, 2007, 2:11:46 AM11/27/07
In article <rsemk3dmnubcr45jf...@4ax.com>, j...@unspameljefe.net says...

Toggle the Insert Key

-OR-

Try:
Add/change the following parm in the eudora.ini file in the
[Settings] section. Eudora Pro 4.1+
AllowOverwriteMode=0

-OR-
<X-Eudora-Option:AllowOverwriteMode=0>

Controls whether or not toggling the Insert key puts the message editor
in to overwrite mode. Helpful for people who use the Ctrl+Insert and
Shift+Insert accelerators for Copy and Paste and have a tendency to
linger on the Insert key after letting go of the Ctrl/Shift key.
--
Over and Out
Daniel Jacobson

j...@unspameljefe.net

Nov 27, 2007, 2:17:52 PM11/27/07
On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 07:11:46 -0000, dani...@iadfw.net (Daniel
Jacobson) wrote:

> Try:
> Add/change the following parm in the eudora.ini file in the
> [Settings] section. Eudora Pro 4.1+
> AllowOverwriteMode=0
>
> -OR-
> <X-Eudora-Option:AllowOverwriteMode=0>
>
> Controls whether or not toggling the Insert key puts the message editor
> in to overwrite mode. Helpful for people who use the Ctrl+Insert and
> Shift+Insert accelerators for Copy and Paste and have a tendency to
> linger on the Insert key after letting go of the Ctrl/Shift key.

I tried the first option, and it worked. Hopefully, that will be the
end of it. Thanks!

JJ

mm

Dec 31, 2007, 12:07:25 PM12/31/07

I've forgotten a lot of the details of this, but Agent has a second
group called something very similar to, but longer than, or exactly
equal to alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.modified and several
years ago, in it, they told me how to disable the insert key in Agent,
by downloading some free exe editor, that finds named items within the
.exe file, the Agent executable, and allows the user to make a change.
It makes a new copy of the agent.exe file and saves the old copy, and
the new one doesn't have overwrite.

It's not a byte-by-byte editor. Or at least not just that. What I did
is find named fields, and they told me which name to look for, and
change the value in that.

I have often wondered how many other programs I use could be modified
with this .exe editor, especially Eudora.

I don't remember any of the details, but if you search google groups
btween 10 years ago and 3 years ago, in that group, for posts written
by meirman att erols dawt com, or maybe mm2005 att bigfoot dawt com,
there will be very few, maybe 3 to 6 posts total, probably all under
the erols name, and most of them will be about this issue. All the
details are given there.

You can probably just search the whole history of that group, because
most of what they write is above my head.

>Word 2000, since I activated CapsUnlock 1.4 and checked "Disable
>Insert.")
>
>Thanks!
>
>JJ

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

John H Meyers

Jan 5, 2008, 4:59:53 AM1/5/08
On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 11:07:25 -0600, for mm:

You did see the simple built-in adjustment for Eudora,
to disable the "Insert" key, without any externl programs?

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows/msg/2af71e310360e74a
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows/msg/5971a3a53f6c88d7