TCL certification

thel...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2005, 9:41:26 AM7/1/05
I am curious if there are offerings of Tcl Certification. My newest
job likes to put letters behind names, and though I have been involved
with Tcl and specifically Oratcl for many years, never thought to
obtain a warranty :).

P.S. I thought about creating an 'Oratcl certified professional' :)

Thanks
-Todd

Mac A. Cody

Jul 1, 2005, 2:49:19 PM7/1/05
The offices at my work have "modular" name plates, so I drafted up
a custom one with my name the old Scriptics Tcl logo and the
title "The Expert Tcl'er". That was enough to keep people guessing
for awhile! ;^)

Mac

P.S. Reverse the "cast" and "com" in my email address to reach me.

Jeff Hobbs

Jul 3, 2005, 12:36:58 PM7/3/05
to thel...@gmail.com
thel...@gmail.com wrote:
> I am curious if there are offerings of Tcl Certification. My newest
> job likes to put letters behind names, and though I have been involved
> with Tcl and specifically Oratcl for many years, never thought to
> obtain a warranty :).

There will be no certification for you until you remember to
always type 'Tcl' instead of 'TCL' (see subject). ;)

Also, question 1 of the certification:

'Tcl' is pronounced:
a) T-C-L
b) Tickle

All those answering (a) will make John unhappy.

--
Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy
http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos

04642920...@t-online.de

Jul 3, 2005, 1:01:21 PM7/3/05
Jeff Hobbs wrote:

> Also, question 1 of the certification:
>
> 'Tcl' is pronounced:
> a) T-C-L
> b) Tickle
>
> All those answering (a) will make John unhappy.

I've allways used option _a_ .
Do I now have to do _TeKaHiri_ ?

PS: as written communication ( eMail, UseNet ) does not carry audio
this has no impact and in the audio exchanges i had with (co)germans
it was allways T-C-L ( Huns and Teutons can not be tickled ;-? )
G!
uwe

Jeff Hobbs

Jul 3, 2005, 2:03:10 PM7/3/05
to 04642920...@t-online.de

I tossed that one up because I know quite a few people who
still persist with T-C-L, as that's how they've always
referred to it. However, Ousterhout's original 1990 USENIX
paper on Tcl did actually specify the pronunciation as the
word Tickle, rather than T-C-L.

Kevin Kenny

Jul 4, 2005, 5:24:45 PM7/4/05
Jeff Hobbs wrote:
> I tossed that one up because I know quite a few people who
> still persist with T-C-L, as that's how they've always
> referred to it. However, Ousterhout's original 1990 USENIX
> paper on Tcl did actually specify the pronunciation as the
> word Tickle, rather than T-C-L.

John was always willing to allow T-C-L in shops where "Tickle"
sounded silly, or worse, obscene. Particularly after the Toronto
conference, where he had a moment of embarrassment explaining
to a Canadian customs official that he was in Canada to attend
a "tickle convention."

"Tai4 ku4" (\u592a\u9177) is an acceptable Mandarin Chinese
pronunciation.

--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin

Alan Folsom

Jul 5, 2005, 8:03:43 AM7/5/05
I once worked on an extension to make SECS (Semiconductor Equipment
Communication Standards) transactions available to Tcl scripts.

It was, of course, referred to as TclSECS, and pronounced the appropriate
way, to the amusement of all, including the customer.

Al

sig...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2005, 8:51:41 AM7/5/05
Well I for one would much rather have a "tickle" involved than a
"python" or a "camel". ; )

miguel sofer

Jul 5, 2005, 8:59:42 AM7/5/05
sig...@gmail.com wrote:
> Well I for one would much rather have a "tickle" involved than a
> "python" or a "camel". ; )

Thank you, this thread helped me understand why we have tcltest and not
the converse ;)

thel...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2005, 1:53:21 PM7/5/05
Maybe I should change the name of oratcl to 'oral'tcl in honor of this
thread?

sig...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2005, 4:22:58 PM7/5/05
thel...@gmail.com wrote:
> Maybe I should change the name of oratcl to 'oral'tcl in honor of this
> thread?

Oh please don't!

Robert