Didn't anyone go to last week's Tcl/Tk Workshop?

Larry W. Virden:

Jul 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/10/95

This is the quietest that I have heard things around the time of a
workshop - did anyone end up attending? If so, how about some trip
reports, pointers to slides, papers, new software, etc.?
--
:s Larry W. Virden INET: larry....@cas.org
:s In search of a new WWW home...

Andy Pierce

Jul 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/10/95
Most of us are still working on understanding Steve Uhler's 8 line html
decoder!! You may not hear much from us for a while!
--
Andy Pierce j...@tc.cornell.edu

Jeffrey Hobbs

Jul 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/10/95
In article <1995Jul10....@chemabs.uucp>,

Larry W. Virden: <lvi...@cas.org> wrote:
>This is the quietest that I have heard things around the time of a
>workshop - did anyone end up attending? If so, how about some trip
>reports, pointers to slides, papers, new software, etc.?

Start at http://tcl-workshop.toronto.onet.on.ca/ and go from there.
It's going to shut down any day now though.
--
Jeffrey Hobbs Office: 503/346-3998
Univ of Oregon CIS GTF email: jho...@cs.uoregon.edu

John Ousterhout

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
In article <1995Jul10....@chemabs.uucp>, lw...@cas.org (Larry W. Virden:) writes:

|> This is the quietest that I have heard things around the time of a
|> workshop - did anyone end up attending? If so, how about some trip
|> reports, pointers to slides, papers, new software, etc.?

There were about 150 people at the workshop, which is by far the largest
attendance of any workshop so far. The slides for my talk on the status
of the Sun Tcl/Tk project can be accessed via the Web via the following URL:

http://www.smli.com/research/tcl/docs.html

I encourage other people to post their trip reports as they become
available.

Mark &

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/13/95
unfortunately, my trip report is probably not suitable for public
consumption. :-) however, here's my entirely subjective list of
workshop "awards":

1. sexiest demo: pad++ (ben bederson), an "infinitely zoomable interface"
which is ideally suited to visualizing and navigating hierarchically
structured information. though you don't have to see it to believe it,
you do have to see it to believe the just amazing performance this
thing has! also incorporates the xerox parc "magic lenses" moveable
filters scheme.. very cool and at better performance than the xerox one!

2. best presentation: to michael mclennan's update on [incr tcl], whose
letterman style top 10 list not only kept everyone entertained, but
communicated a ton of information in such a short time. the
"john says its going in the core" slide was priceless

3. most improved system during the conference: again to ben bederson,
who not only improved the zooming of pad++ images, but also added
video support. (kudos also probably to the batteries in ben's laptop)

4. ugliest code: a hands down win to stephen uhler, who tried to explain
his miniscule html-parsing-by-regular-expression code rather than just
admitting it is write-only code. but geez is that a nice system!

5. favorite tcl limitation: namespace support, which came up not only
in the session devoted to object oriented extensions, but in just
about every other session in the conference

6. most unexpected talk: to brian kernighan, who spent most of his
presentation extolling the virtues of visual basic

7. gastronomical nightmare award: to the caterers at the royal york
who seem to think that meat is the only food group

mark

--
Mark Roseman, Research Associate phone: (403) 220-3532 / 220-6087
Dept. of Computer Science fax: (403) 284-4707

Peter Ruczynski

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/13/95
I have produced a HTML version of the notes posted
here by the Netwaves Corporation a little while ago.

I have mailed them to ask for permission to publish
(just in case) but I don't hold out much hope as the
mail address didn't really look as if it was going to
go to a person, just an account :(

If I get no answer I will presume that it's ok as there
wasn't any copy right on the text.

Which leads me to my next point...

I don't have access to a publicly accessible web server
so would some kind soul care to donate a few K of space
on theirs?

I'd prefer someone with an ftp server I could download
the files onto.

Alternatively, anyone know of any good free servers out there?
[The only one I knew of (Ohio Uni) has had to close it's
doors :-( ]

Pete.

--
Pete Ruczynski, rucz...@x500.bt.co.uk

Andrew Ginter

Jul 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/14/95
ros...@janu.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Mark &) wrote:
>4. ugliest code: a hands down win to stephen uhler, who tried to explain
> his miniscule html-parsing-by-regular-expression code rather than just
> admitting it is write-only code. but geez is that a nice system!

This is the second reference to this code I've seen -- the first referring
to it as an "HTML parser in 8 lines of TCL". Any chance someone will post
it so's we could all have a look at it?

Andrew F. Ginter and...@calgary.hp.com HP-TELNET: 299-4755
Hewlett-Packard, Calgary Product Development Center VOICE: (01)403-299-4755
3030-3 Avenue N.E., Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2A 6T7 FAX: (01)403-272-2299

Steve Uhler

Jul 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/17/95

Here's a 10 line version. I even included a comment -:)

proc HMparse_html {html {cmd HMtest_parse}} {
regsub -all \{ $html {\&ob;} html
regsub -all \} $html {\&cb;} html
set w " \t\r\n" ;# white space
proc HMcl x {return "\[$x\]"}
set exp <(/?)([HMcl ^$w>]+)[HMcl $w]*([HMcl ^>]*)>
set sub "\}\n$cmd {\\2} {\\1} {\\3} \{"
regsub -all $exp $html $sub html
eval "$cmd hmstart {} {} \{ $html \}"
eval "$cmd hmstart / {} {}"