Tcl does not see Win 8.1 clipboard

Gerry Snyder

Aug 31, 2015, 2:59:01 PM8/31/15
I know I used to be able to cut/copy and paste into and from Tcl (with
or without Tk) in Windows, but I can't now, with very limited
exceptions. The situation may have started when I upgraded from 8.0 to
8.1, but I am not sure--pasting into Tcl is not something I do very
frequently.

For instance, I can copy and paste within a tkcon window, but if I have
another tkcon running I cannot copy from one and paste into the other.
And I can copy and paste within a single instance of my SQLite GUI, but
not from one to another.

Interestingly, I can copy from Tcl or Tk and paste into other
applications, but the Ditto clipboard management program does not see
things that have been copied from Tcl. So things kinda work in the "from
Tcl" direction.

But there does not seem to be any way to paste into Tcl except from
within the same running instance of anything.

Any ideas on what I can do to solve (or even help diagnose) the problem?

Gerald W. Lester

Aug 31, 2015, 6:27:38 PM8/31/15
Windows 8, among its other lovely features, seems to have a strange idea of
who "owns" the clipboard (I've notice this with both Tk and non-Tk
applications) for text.

The easiest fix is to select nothing in the window you want to paste into,
do a Control-C in that window, go back to the window you want to copy from,
select the text, Control-C, go back to the window you want to paste into and
do a Control-V.

| Gerald W. Lester, President, KNG Consulting LLC |
| Email: Gerald...@kng-consulting.net |

Gerry Snyder

Sep 1, 2015, 1:30:48 PM9/1/15
Gerald,

Thank you for the reply. I feel confident that your description of the
source of the problem is correct, but your suggested easiest fix does
not work for me.

FreeClipViewer.exe shows the first Control-C clearing the clipboard
contents and the second one setting the clipboard content to the desired
text, but that also seems to remove Tcl's ownership of the clipboard.
Pasting then does nothing.

If you have any other suggested workarounds I would like to try them. It
is not something I need to do often, but not being able to do so once in
a while is a PITA.

Thanks again,

Gerry (another Gerald)

Francois Vogel

Sep 1, 2015, 3:57:42 PM9/1/15
I'm wondering whether the new winClipboard-2.[12] test suite failures
reported here:

http://core.tcl.tk/tk/tktview?name=cc0ba31920

for Win 8.1 could reveal the kind of issue you see.

Francois