ANNOUNCE: Free Access News Server

Scott Reilly

Feb 22, 2001, 2:20:51 AM2/22/01
ANNOUNCE: UTCorp Free Access News Server (FANS)

Unified Technologies Corp. is pleased to announce the UTCorp Free Access
News Server (FANS) -- a public, freely accessible news server which will
mirror select USENET newsgroups. At the moment, it mirrors
comp.lang.tcl and comp.lang.tcl.announce.

The news server runs using TclNNTPD
(http://www.utcorp.net/opensource/tclnntpd/), a newly released,
open-source, TCL-only coded NNTP news server.

With the recent demise of Deja.com, it is quite fortunate that we were
already prepared to release the news server code. And since we have the
capabilities, and seeing a suggestion by Laurent Duperval, we decided
to host a news server to mirror the TCL newsgroups. We are considering
mirroring other newsgroups and likely some on a per request basis, but
we aren't taking requests just yet.

The news server is still in its alpha stage and should be used as such.
Though we don't believe you'll encounter any errors, if you do we'd
appreciate if you let us know: fans...@utcorp.net.

WHERE CAN I LEARN MORE?
----------------------
You can view the homepage for that package here:
http://www.utcorp.net/opensource/freeusenet/

HOW DO I ACCESS IT?
----------------------
The following information is all that is necessary to connect to the
news server:

HOST: mirror.utcorp.net
PORT: 119

If you need help, visit the FANS homepage for more information on
connecting to the news server.

WHY IS IT FREE?
----------------------
UTCorp believes in the free availability of information. The USENET
postings are public discussions and can be of great importance and
convenience. Deja.com had been a major USENET portal for many and its
demise made us realize how much, at least for ourselves, we had come to
depend on the services it offered. Since we had already developed our
own news server (TclNNTPD -- http://www.utcorp.net/opensource/tclnntpd/)
and possess the resources and capabilities, we decided to host a free
access news server. With the help of the open source community of
developers we hope to expand this first step into an significant open
source service/project that can fill the void left by Deja.com and more.

We would greatly appreciate any and all feedback! Email us concerning
this project at: FA...@utcorp.net

Scott Reilly
Unified Technologies Corporation
www.utcorp.net/opensource/freeusenet/

[[Send Tcl/Tk announcements to tcl-an...@mitchell.org
Send administrivia to tcl-announ...@mitchell.org
Announcements archived at http://www.egroups.com/list/tcl_announce/
The primary Tcl/Tk archive is ftp://ftp.neosoft.com/pub/tcl/ ]]