new hosting for SRFI effective July 7th, 2015

Arthur A. Gleckler

Jul 1, 2015, 5:30:48 AM7/1/15
to srfi-a...@srfi.schemers.org

Dear Schemers,

On July 7th, we are going to change the email and web hosting used for SRFI. Most of the work is already done, but on the 7th, we'll update the DNS entries for srfi.schemers.org. At that point, the web site will be hosted on a new server, and the mailing lists will be run by Simplelists.com rather than by the editors themselves. I'm hoping that this will minimize the maintenance workload, e.g. for fighting spam.

Please be patient for a few days after that while we work out the inevitable kinks. All subscriptions to SRFI mailing lists have been transferred to Simplelists, and while I've tried to anticipate any problems, it's possible that a few new messages to the discussion lists will be lost. I'll send a follow-up message to srfi-announce once everything appears to be in order. Please contact me at srfi at speechcode.com if you notice any problems.

In the process of making this change, I'm making some improvements, too. You can already see some of them on srfi.speechcode.com, the testing domain. For example:

  • The home page for each SRFI, e.g. SRFI 0, includes a link to a Git repo on Github.com that includes the entire history of the SRFI code and document, converted from CVS. All code archives are expanded in place in the Git repo. Forking an SRFI, e.g. during the discussion period or while porting to a particular Scheme implementation, will just be a matter of clicking the Fork button or doing a git clone. During the discussion period for each SRFI, I'm happy to post updates on behalf of authors who would like to continue to work that way, but forks and pull requests should make the process of revising code and documents easier.
  • A complete archive of all SRFI code and documents is on the home page, too, so if you want every SRFI, not just one, you don't have to download a separate repository for each. Just look for srfi.tgz.
  • The existing mailing list archives are preserved on srfi.schemers.org, but new messages will be archived at srfi-email.schemers.org, where Simplelists provides search as well as chronological and thread views. Every existing SRFI archive now includes a link to the new archives. My plan is to copy all existing messages into the new archives so that one only need look in one place for the discussion about each SRFI. However, I haven't finished that work.

In the long term, I'm hoping to make other improvements, e.g. to make the SRFI site more readable, especially on mobile devices, and to automate much of the routine editorial work, following Michael Sperber's excellent example.

Thank you to Michael Sperber and the other editors for their years of service and, in advance, to Matthew Flatt for making the DNS updates. Thanks, too, to the authors of all SRFI and to everyone who has contributed to the discussion over the years. Let's keep this tradition going!

Regards,

Arthur A. Gleckler