Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Ethan Furman

Sep 30, 2016, 1:15:03 PM9/30/16
Lawrence D'Oliveiro is banned from Python List until the new year.

If his posts show up somewhere else (e.g. Usenet), please ignore them. If you must respond to him please trim out his text so the rest of us don't have to deal with him.

--
Python List Moderators

Rustom Mody

Oct 1, 2016, 12:34:01 AM10/1/16
Sure Lawrence was/is being rude/difficult/whatever but does it warrant that much
severity?

If we consider the 4 cases (I know in recent times) that have been banned
1. Mark Lawrence
2. Thomas Lahn
3. jmf
4. and now Lawrence d'Oliveiro

that is also the (my subjective) order of rudeness (jmf is never rude but
highly troublesome)

Of course you/other-mods will have your own metrics
But please run your own abuse-metric-eval on this case again
And there is found a bug therein consider toning down 2 months to (say) 2 weeks

None of the above gainsays the fact that you folks — list-mods — do a onerous
splendid, mostly invisible job. For which thanks!

Rustom Mody

Oct 1, 2016, 12:38:03 AM10/1/16
On Saturday, October 1, 2016 at 10:04:01 AM UTC+5:30, Rustom Mody wrote:
> On Friday, September 30, 2016 at 10:45:03 PM UTC+5:30, Ethan Furman wrote:
> > Lawrence D'Oliveiro is banned from Python List until the new year.
> >
> > If his posts show up somewhere else (e.g. Usenet), please ignore them. If you must respond to him please trim out his text so the rest of us don't have to deal with him.
> >
> > --
> > Python List Moderators
>
> Sure Lawrence was/is being rude/difficult/whatever but does it warrant that much
> severity?
>
> If we consider the 4 cases (I know in recent times) that have been banned
> 1. Mark Lawrence
> 2. Thomas Lahn
> 3. jmf
> 4. and now Lawrence d'Oliveiro
>
> that is also the (my subjective) order of rudeness (jmf is never rude but
> highly troublesome)

I meant to say “in decreasing order”

Bob Martin

Oct 1, 2016, 2:20:00 AM10/1/16
Why can't you block "PEDOFILO"?

Chris Angelico

Oct 1, 2016, 2:24:56 AM10/1/16
I've no idea who you're talking about, so my guess is that those posts
already aren't making the leap to the mailing list. The newsgroup
isn't under the same governance, so if you're reading netnews, you
have to manually killfile people.

<<<
"Excellent. What is a killfile?"

"Uh. It's a list of usernames/topics/news items etc that you wish the
news- reader to automatically skip so you don't have to wade through
rubbish"

"Uh No. Remember I said pertaining to Operations. A killfile is in fact
a file with a list of names of people you are going to have killed."

"Oh. Of course."

-- The BSMFH, formerly and subsequently known as the BOFH

ChrisA

Paul Rubin

Oct 1, 2016, 2:29:51 AM10/1/16
Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> writes:
>> Why can't you block "PEDOFILO"?
> I've no idea who you're talking about

That's the weird Italian spam that the newsgroup has been getting for a
while. I've been wondering for a while if anyone knows what the story
is, i.e. why it's on comp.lang.python but not on other newsgroups that
I've noticed.

Gregory Ewing

Oct 1, 2016, 9:05:44 PM10/1/16
> On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 23:29:41 -0700, Paul Rubin <no.e...@nospam.invalid>
> declaimed the following:
>
>>That's the weird Italian spam that the newsgroup has been getting for a
>>while. I've been wondering for a while if anyone knows what the story
>>is, i.e. why it's on comp.lang.python but not on other newsgroups that
>>I've noticed.

The Spanish Inquisition is trying to get the Pope
impeached, or something?

--
Greg

Bob Martin

Oct 2, 2016, 3:06:11 AM10/2/16
It's in several of the groups that I follow.

Skip Montanaro

Oct 2, 2016, 9:01:13 AM10/2/16
On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 1:05 AM, Bob Martin <bob.m...@excite.com> wrote:

> It's in several of the groups that I follow.

Yeah, we've been struggling with it over at mail.python.org. While incoming
mail has all sorts of spam fighting bells and whistles, messages arriving
from Usenet only has the SpamBayes filter. I'm sure I have a few more of
these messages held. I will continue to train on these messages to try and
get it to suppress them better.

Skip

Skip Montanaro

Oct 2, 2016, 9:05:40 AM10/2/16
If you have one or more of these messages saved, please forward it along to
me (in its entirety, headers and all). Attaching it as a compressed tar
file will help sneak it past other spam filters.

Thanks,

Skip

On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 8:00 AM, Skip Montanaro <skip.mo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 1:05 AM, Bob Martin <bob.m...@excite.com> wrote:
>
>> It's in several of the groups that I follow.

Marko Rauhamaa

Oct 2, 2016, 10:15:05 AM10/2/16
Skip Montanaro <skip.mo...@gmail.com>:
> Yeah, we've been struggling with it over at mail.python.org. While
> incoming mail has all sorts of spam fighting bells and whistles,
> messages arriving from Usenet only has the SpamBayes filter. I'm sure
> I have a few more of these messages held. I will continue to train on
> these messages to try and get it to suppress them better.

I'd imagine just having a list of 100 Italian words should give you a
pretty accurate spam score. Extra points for all caps.

Marko

Skip Montanaro

Oct 2, 2016, 10:34:18 AM10/2/16
On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 9:14 AM, Marko Rauhamaa <ma...@pacujo.net> wrote:

> I'd imagine just having a list of 100 Italian words should give you a
> pretty accurate spam score. Extra points for all caps.

Thanks, but that's not how SpamBayes works. Have a look here if you're
interested:

http://www.spambayes.org/

You might find the Background link particularly interesting.

Skip