Perl 5.0 Docs. ASCII Please!!

Ricardo Nassif

Oct 24, 1994, 8:46:29 PM10/24/94
Tim Bunce (Tim....@ig.co.uk) wrote:
-> In article <Duncan_McIntyre/HP6300_Q2....@desk.hp.com> Duncan_McIntyre/HP63...@desk.hp.com (Duncan McIntyre) writes:
-> >Is there any chance of putting a version of the 5.0 docs out there in ftp-land
-> >as plain-text ASCII (or PCL) files?
-> >
-> Umm, maybe a pod2text converter is called for.

-> Anyone fancy having a go?

Why not, at least temporarily, simply convert perl5.000-doc.ps to
ascii?
--
|"There is grandeur ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| Ricardo Nassif |||||||
| in this view ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| r...@netcom.com |||||||

Jeff Licquia

Oct 25, 1994, 5:39:01 AM10/25/94
In article <rn0Cy7...@netcom.com> r...@netcom.com (Ricardo Nassif) writes:

>Tim Bunce (Tim....@ig.co.uk) wrote:
>-> In article <Duncan_McIntyre/HP6300_Q2....@desk.hp.com> Duncan_McIntyre/HP63...@desk.hp.com (Duncan McIntyre) writes:
>-> >Is there any chance of putting a version of the 5.0 docs out there in ftp-land
>-> >as plain-text ASCII (or PCL) files?
>-> >
>-> Umm, maybe a pod2text converter is called for.

>-> Anyone fancy having a go?

> Why not, at least temporarily, simply convert perl5.000-doc.ps to
>ascii?

Or, if you want:

#!/bin/sh

pod2man
for thisfile in `ls *.man`
do
groff -mandoc -Tascii $thisfile > $thisfile.txt
done

# and, for a final twist if necessary
cat *.txt > perl5.000.doc.ascii

Oops! Did I just write a shell script? Not a perl script?

BLESS ME LARRY, FOR I HAVE SINNED!!!

:-)

Duncan McIntyre

Oct 21, 1994, 9:34:46 PM10/21/94
Is there any chance of putting a version of the 5.0 docs out there in ftp-land
as plain-text ASCII (or PCL) files?

I don't have access to a PostScript printer, ghostscript is too slow, and even
if I could send to a PS printer, experience tells me that 240 odd pages-worth
will crash halfway through and I'll never manage to get the lot printed :-(

Thanks!
Duncan_McIntyre @grenoble.hp.com

"I am drunk, and you madam are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober...."

Daniel Faken

Oct 25, 1994, 12:20:24 AM10/25/94
In article <rn0Cy7...@netcom.com> r...@netcom.com (Ricardo Nassif) writes:
> Tim Bunce (Tim....@ig.co.uk) wrote:
> -> In article <Duncan_McIntyre/HP6300_Q2....@desk.hp.com>
Duncan_McIntyre/HP63...@desk.hp.com (Duncan McIntyre) writes:
> -> >Is there any chance of putting a version of the 5.0 docs out there in
ftp-land
> -> >as plain-text ASCII (or PCL) files?
> -> >
> -> Umm, maybe a pod2text converter is called for.
>
> -> Anyone fancy having a go?
>
> Why not, at least temporarily, simply convert perl5.000-doc.ps to
> ascii?

Maybe someone has already said this, but why not just read the .pod files???

This is what I do.

Daniel Faken
absi...@u.washington.edu

BIU

Oct 26, 1994, 7:01:35 AM10/26/94
In article <Cy6H...@ig.co.uk> Tim....@ig.co.uk (Tim Bunce) writes:
>In article <Duncan_McIntyre/HP6300_Q2....@desk.hp.com> Duncan_McIntyre/HP63...@desk.hp.com (Duncan McIntyre) writes:
>>Is there any chance of putting a version of the 5.0 docs out there in ftp-land
>>as plain-text ASCII (or PCL) files?
>>
>Umm, maybe a pod2text converter is called for.
>
>Anyone fancy having a go?

whats wrong with pod2man followed by 'nroff -man'
(and optionally followed by perl -ne 's/_\cH//;print;')
--
Jack j...@biu.icnet.uk

If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
-- Maslow

Duncan McIntyre

Oct 26, 1994, 7:03:34 PM10/26/94
In article <Cy6H...@ig.co.uk> Tim....@ig.co.uk (Tim Bunce) writes:
>From: Tim....@ig.co.uk (Tim Bunce)
>Subject: Re: Perl 5.0 Docs. ASCII Please!!
>Date: Mon, 24 Oct 1994 13:04:48 +0000

>In article <Duncan_McIntyre/HP6300_Q2....@desk.hp.com>
>Duncan_McIntyre/HP63...@desk.hp.com (Duncan McIntyre) writes:

>>Is there any chance of putting a version of the 5.0 docs out there in ftp-land
>>as plain-text ASCII (or PCL) files?
>>

>Umm, maybe a pod2text converter is called for.

>Anyone fancy having a go?

>>Duncan_McIntyre @grenoble.hp.com

>Regards,
>Tim Bunce.

Someone here was able to print it for me (merci Dominique). But I do
think an ASCII version would be a nice thing to make available - not everyone
has access to Postscript printers.

BTW. Good job on the docs. They're really readable. I can't wait to try some
of it out!

Jerry Whelan

Oct 26, 1994, 4:03:21 PM10/26/94
In article <Cy6H...@ig.co.uk>, Tim Bunce <Tim....@ig.co.uk> wrote:
-} In article <Duncan_McIntyre/HP6300_Q2....@desk.hp.com> Duncan_McIntyre/HP63...@desk.hp.com (Duncan McIntyre) writes:
-} >Is there any chance of putting a version of the 5.0 docs out there in ftp-land
-} >as plain-text ASCII (or PCL) files?
-} >
-} Umm, maybe a pod2text converter is called for.
-}
-} Anyone fancy having a go?

This is simple:

pod2man file.pod | nroff -man | col -b > file.txt

Philip Hazel

Oct 27, 1994, 10:17:52 AM10/27/94
In article <Duncan_McIntyre/HP6300_Q2....@desk.hp.com>, Duncan_McIntyre/HP63...@desk.hp.com (Duncan McIntyre) writes:

|> I don't have access to a PostScript printer, ghostscript is too slow, and even
|> if I could send to a PS printer, experience tells me that 240 odd pages-worth
|> will crash halfway through and I'll never manage to get the lot printed :-(

It is not difficult to chop the PostScript up into chunks of, say, 30
pages, as I did when printing this large file.

--
Philip Hazel University Computing Service,
ph...@cus.cam.ac.uk New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QG,

Eric Silber

Oct 27, 1994, 3:26:31 PM10/27/94
Would it fit into the the scheme of things (NO PUN!) to extend Perl so that
a perl program could be compiled into a portable intermediate binary format?
I.e. compiled into some kind of byte code? This could allow for:

1) the runtime performance boost of a compiled program
2) a non-transparent format than can be delivered to the end user without
explicitly making the src visible.
3) a machine-independent compiled format

I don't know how this might be implemented. I suspect it's not feasible
(would require major changes in perl internals ???? )

Tim Bunce

Oct 28, 1994, 6:41:04 AM10/28/94

I'm very well aware of this but it requires nroff (not readily
available on VMS, MS-DOS, AmigaDOS etc).

This is one of the reasons Larry moved away from *roff format for the
Perl 5 documentation. The P in pod can also stand for portable.

Regards,
Tim Bunce.

Edward Hartnett

Oct 28, 1994, 8:26:53 AM10/28/94

>> pod2man file.pod | nroff -man | col -b > file.txt

T> I'm very well aware of this but it requires nroff (not readily
T> available on VMS, MS-DOS, AmigaDOS etc).

T> This is one of the reasons Larry moved away from *roff format for the
T> Perl 5 documentation. The P in pod can also stand for portable.

Sorry if I appear to be a yokal, but what is this pod stuff anyway?
I've never heard of it before now.
--
Edward Hartnett e...@larry.gsfc.nasa.gov
(301) 286-2396 fax: (301) 286-1754

"Tut! Tut!" cried Sherlock Holmes. "You must act, man, or you are
lost. Nothing but energy can save you. This is no time for dispair."

Walter Tautz

Nov 2, 1994, 8:52:23 PM11/2/94
matthew green (m...@mame.mu.OZ.AU) wrote:
: e...@larry.gsfc.nasa.gov (Edward Hartnett) writes:

: Sorry if I appear to be a yokal, but what is this pod stuff anyway?

: I've never heard of it before now.

: plain old documentation. it's a format larry designed recently
: for use by perl5. the ideas are it's easy of use, and that you
: write some translator from pod to some other markup language
: (two of these exist currently - pod2man and pod2html), so you
: can read it how ever you want.

: .mrg.
How about a pod2latex translator. Walter

Larry Wall

Nov 7, 1994, 8:46:14 PM11/7/94
In article <399fon$f...@nermal.cs.uoguelph.ca> wta...@uoguelph.ca (Walter Tautz) writes:
: How about a pod2latex translator. Walter

Nothing gets done without someone doing it.

Larry