system() question

David Andre

Nov 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/6/95
I posted this around a week or 2 ago. I haven't seen any response yet.

Can anyone help me with this??

The ypcat command below is essentially returning a list of machines. Let's
say I wanted to do an ls on each machine in @LIST. How can that be done?
I thought the following might work, but it didn't. It does the rsh to the
machine *first*, then does the ls locally on the machine this script is
run from. Can anyone help?? I would like it to do the ls on the machine I
am rsh'ing to.

I can do this in a shell script, I'm just wondering how it can be done
in Perl.

Thanks In Advance for your help,
-David

#!/usr/sbin/perl
#
#
#

@LIST=`ypcat -k platforms | sort | cut -f1 -d" "`;

foreach (@LIST) {
system("rsh $_ ls");
sleep(2);

}

exit;

--

David Andre
<an...@hks.com>

Robert Paul Braddock

Nov 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/6/95
David Andre (an...@argo.hks.com) wrote:
: I posted this around a week or 2 ago. I haven't seen any response yet.
Annoying, isn't it? I never get answers to questions in newsgroups.

: system("rsh $_ ls");
This command works as expected for me. Maybe you want to specify a
directory to ls instead of your home directory, so you can be sure it is
behaving as you think? Or perhaps you have a wierd rsh...

" Thus to be lost and thus to sink and die, // Robert Braddock
Perchance were death indeed!" // xet...@rice.edu

Michael Schilli

Nov 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/6/95
David Andre (an...@argo.hks.com) wrote:
: I posted this around a week or 2 ago. I haven't seen any response yet.

: @LIST=`ypcat -k platforms | sort | cut -f1 -d" "`;

: foreach (@LIST) {

: system("rsh $_ ls");

: sleep(2);

: }

Your ypcat command is appending newlines to the hostnames.

foreach (@LIST) {
chop; #<--- Yeah!

system("rsh $_ ls");

sleep(2);
}

should do the trick.

-Michael.

Steve Pacenka

Nov 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/7/95
xet...@rice.edu (Robert Paul Braddock) wrote:

>Annoying, isn't it? I never get answers to questions in newsgroups.

This pushed my button; sorry for length.
----

In a friendly place like comp.lang.perl.misc, where there a quite a few people
who really want to help others, a question might go unanswered for one or more
of the following reasons:

1. The subject line did not make it seem like an answerable question to anyone
who read the subject line but decided not to read the posting.

This is very important in a group with lots of traffic. For example, I try to
read (and answer if I can help) all DOS/Windows Perl questions since there are
very few people who answer these. I screen messages to read based on subject
lines, so if someone does not include a hint of DOS or Windows in their subject
I may never read their message.

2. No one reading the question understood it well enough to make any comment.

(Sadly, some of this comes from the imposition of English as
comp.lang.perl.misc's sole language.)

3. No one reading the question knew the answer.

4. The subject line or the question were not relevant to the newsgroup.

In comp.lang.perl.misc, there are quite a few questions that have to do with
Unix, DOS, webserver setup, and CGI that are only weakly related to the Perl
programming language itself. Other newsgroups can be better places to ask
these. Crossposting to two or three newsgroups when there is a complicated,
combination problem (such as WindowsNT + NTPerl + CGI on a particular webserver)
can be useful.

5. The answer is in the Meta-FAQ or FAQ and all readers who know the answer have
gotten tired of answering the same question over and over again.

It's not too much to expect a Usenet reader to scan recent messages for answers
to their question, and to consult a FAQ, before posting the question, is it?
The Perl FAQs have all kinds of useful info in them, more refined than one can
reasonably expect from a one-shot answer in a follow-up posting.

<down off soapbox>

-- that feels better, SP

Mark-Jason Dominus

Nov 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/7/95
In article <47lc8q$o...@argo.hks.com> an...@argo.hks.com (David Andre) writes:
> I thought the following might work, but it didn't. It does the rsh to the
> machine *first*, then does the ls locally on the machine this script is
> run from. Can anyone help??
>
> @LIST=`ypcat -k platforms | sort | cut -f1 -d" "`;
>
> foreach (@LIST) {
> system("rsh $_ ls");
> sleep(2);
> }

Yep.

> The ypcat command below is essentially returning a list of machines.

It's returning a list of machines, one per line. So the elements of
@LIST all end with newlines, and when you interpolate one into that
system command, you get something like

system("rsh plover
ls");

That's two commands, not one.

You need to remove the newlines from those hostnames before you use
them. Try

> foreach (@LIST) {
chop;

> system("rsh $_ ls");
> sleep(2);
> }

That's what `chop' is for.

> I can do this in a shell script...

That's because in a shell script, `...` transforms all the newlines
into spaces, so you don't have this problem of newlines being retained
in newline-separated items. Instead, you have the problem of not
being able to tell where lines end, which is usually worse.

Fred Kulack

Nov 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/7/95
> I can do this in a shell script, I'm just wondering how it can be done
> in Perl.
>
> @LIST=`ypcat -k platforms | sort | cut -f1 -d" "`;
>
> foreach (@LIST) {
chop;
> system("rsh $_ ls");
> sleep(2);
>
> }

You'll need to chop the newline from $_ prior to using it in the middle of the system call like that. Shells don't keep those around, perl does by default.

Fred Kulack Team OS/2 is for EVERYONE!
Open Systems Enablement - CPA (Internal : kulack@rchland )
IBM Rochester, MN (Internet : kul...@vnet.ibm.com )
ph: 507.253.5982 (Tie line : 553.5982 )
WWW Internal Page (Personal Page http://w3.rchland.ibm.com/~kulack/ )
--

Fred Kulack Team OS/2 is for EVERYONE!
Open Systems Enablement - CPA (Internal : kulack@rchland )
IBM Rochester, MN (Internet : kul...@vnet.ibm.com )
ph: 507.253.5982 (Tie line : 553.5982 )
WWW Internal Page (Personal Page http://w3.rchland.ibm.com/~kulack/ )

Randal L. Schwartz

Nov 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/7/95

Steve> (Sadly, some of this comes from the imposition of English as
Steve> comp.lang.perl.misc's sole language.)

I don't have a problem with people posting in another language. I
just won't be able to help them. After all, I'm an American,
therefore I speak only one (human :-) language. (I lost track at
about 60 languages on my resume, but 59 of those are computer
languages.)

print "Just another Perl hacker," # but not what the media calls "hacker!" :-)
# legal fund: $14811.84 collected, $129659.85 spent; email fu...@stonehenge.com for details
Email: <mer...@stonehenge.com> Snail: (Call) PGP-Key: (finger mer...@ora.com)
Web: <A HREF="http://www.teleport.com/~merlyn/">My Home Page!</A>
Quote: "I'm telling you, if I could have five lines in my .sig, I would!" -- me

Tom Christiansen

Nov 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/7/95
to mer...@stonehenge.com

:
:Steve> (Sadly, some of this comes from the imposition of English as
:Steve> comp.lang.perl.misc's sole language.)
:
:I don't have a problem with people posting in another language. I
:just won't be able to help them. After all, I'm an American,
:therefore I speak only one (human :-) language. (I lost track at
:about 60 languages on my resume, but 59 of those are computer
:languages.)

Como se llama alguien que habla dos idiomas?
Bilingue.

Et quelqu'un qui parle *plus* de deux langues?
Polyglote.

And one who speaks but one sole language?
American.
(or English... or Australian)

It's rather embarassing, sometimes, to be an American. Although this year
I'll've been to Europe five times before the year's through, plus about a
dozen countries, and I can assure you that it is deeply appreciated by the
natives when you at least try to speak their language, even though they'll
almost certainly speak English better than you speak their language. :-(

--tom
--
Tom Christiansen Perl Consultant, Gamer, Hiker tch...@mox.perl.com

A woman needs a little more weird today than normal. --Andrew Hume

Norm Babcock

Nov 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/8/95
In article <ukohuoe...@kelly.teleport.com>,

mer...@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) wrote:
>I lost track at
>about 60 languages on my resume, but 59 of those are computer
>languages.)

ROTFLMAO. A little levity is good for any news group..:)

Regards, Norm
"Civiization is a method of living, an attitude of equal
respect for all men" Jane Addams(1860-1935)
"If I can start it, I can fly it, drive it, or program it"

Richard L. Wixom

Nov 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/8/95
In article <ukohuoe...@kelly.teleport.com>, mer...@stonehenge.com says...

>Steve> (Sadly, some of this comes from the imposition of English as
>Steve> comp.lang.perl.misc's sole language.)

>I don't have a problem with people posting in another language. I
>just won't be able to help them. After all, I'm an American,

>therefore I speak only one (human :-) language. (I lost track at

>about 60 languages on my resume, but 59 of those are computer
>languages.)

Perhaps we should adopt Perl as the standard language for posts to this
newsgroup. After all, if we can write poetry in Perl, why not articles :).

Regards, r...@msg.ti.com

sonny

Nov 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/8/95
eng...@teleport.com (Norm Babcock) wrote:
>In article <ukohuoe...@kelly.teleport.com>,
> mer...@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) wrote:
>>I lost track at
>>about 60 languages on my resume, but 59 of those are computer
>>languages.)
>
>ROTFLMAO. A little levity is good for any news group..:)

Ahh, but how many of those are "dead" computer languages ...

--
sonny parafina <s.pa...@access.texas.gov>
Solid Waste Services

Larry Wall

Nov 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/8/95
In article <47lc8q$o...@argo.hks.com>, David Andre <an...@argo.hks.com> wrote:
: The ypcat command below is essentially returning a list of machines. Let's

: say I wanted to do an ls on each machine in @LIST. How can that be done?
: I thought the following might work, but it didn't. It does the rsh to the

: machine *first*, then does the ls locally on the machine this script is
: run from. Can anyone help?? I would like it to do the ls on the machine I
: am rsh'ing to.
:
: @LIST=`ypcat -k platforms | sort | cut -f1 -d" "`;
:
: foreach (@LIST) {
: system("rsh $_ ls");
: sleep(2);
:
: }

Debugging lesson #1. If you were to print the command before passing it
to system, all would suddenly be made clear.

Hint: try saying chop(@LIST) before the loop.

Larry

Mark-Jason Dominus

Nov 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/9/95
In article <47lss5$k...@larry.rice.edu> xet...@rice.edu (Robert Paul Braddock) writes:
> Annoying, isn't it? I never get answers to questions in newsgroups.

There are a lot of reasons, many of which get repeated over and
over again, many of which don't. Some of the reasons you hear a lot
are: Questions are incoherently phrased. Questions have the form `my
code doesn't work' and don't include the code. Questions include the
code, and it's 200 lines long, and comp.lang.perl is not a debugging
service. Nobody knows the answer to the question. The question is so
badly punctuated that nobody can bear to read it. Questions aer
written by a non-native speaker of English and the native speakers who
are trying to understand it can't. (That's a shame, but it does
happen. I often wish that these people would post in their native
languages. I'd love to see more discussion in languages other than
English. Some Dutch guy tried posting all his comp.lang.c articles in
Dutch a few years ago, and all the Americans flamed him. How
humiliating for me!)

Apart from these oft-mentioned reasons are many others that are
not so often discussed, because anyone who tries to bring them up gets
flamed. But it's the truth: I know the reason I don't answer more
questions is because so many of them questions are so damn stupid.
They're stupid in a lot of different ways, but they're still stupid.
I don't want to suggest that that's why your questions go unanswered.
I don't know what you're asking. No doubt the reason your questions
go unanswered is because they're so deep and interesting that nobody
really knows the answer.

The most common stupid question is the one from someone who has
some high-level problem that they need solved. They have an idea that
they'd like to do it in perl, and they don't really know perl. So
instead of learning perl, they post to comp.lang.perl.misc.

Now don't get me wrong. I don't have any problems answering the
questions of someone who's trying to learn perl. I love THOSE
qusetions. But these people don't seem to be asking useful questions
for that.

Today, for example, I saw a question from a guy who wants to get a
list of hostnames out of nslookup. `How do I do that?' he says. And
it's hard to know what to make of that. What does he mean? Does he
not know how to open a pipe? Is his `open' command failing? What's
going on here? I can't give a useful answer without understanding the
problem. Having your `open' fail is a problem. Wanting to list
hostnames is not a problem; it's a desire.

Here are some similar questions that would have made more sense to me:

1. ``I'm a lazy asshole and I can't be bothered to learn to
program myself, but I know if I post here you'll give me
something for free.''

(OK, fair enough. At least I can send him a rate card.)

2. ``I'm trying to use `open' to talk to nslookup, but...
...here's my code; what's wrong?''

(Good question.)

3. ``I know perl has a `system' command for running programs,
but I can't see how to get my commands into nslookup
once I have run it.''

(Good question.)

4. ``I'm trying to use `getprotobynumber' to talk to nslookup...''

(Good question.)

See, I'm not just biting people's heads off, here. #4 is a good
question, because it gives me something to work with. OK, he has a
very weird idea about interprocess communication, but that's
ignorance, and that's what we're here to correct. He doesn't know
about `open'; I can refer him to the manual.

Here's another example: Some guy wants to assemble a list of email
addresses . ``How do I do that?'' he wants to know. Well, duh. Get a
big pad of paper and read news for a couple days and write down all
the addresses you see. Problem solved. What's it doing in
comp.lang.perl?

Oh, you wanted to do it in perl. Well, I guess I'd open a socket
to the NNTP server and send it some XHDR commands for the `From'
lines. But that's not Perl; you could do that in any language. I
could do it in Bourne Shell for you if I'm allowed to use a little
external thingie to handle the socket parts for me. What's it doing
in comp.lang.perl?

Oh, you wanted us to write the program for you? Wait, let me send
you my rate card.

Someone posted yesterday asking how to get the data from a file
where the start and end of the data is marked by keywords. Same thing
going on here. ``Well, here's how you solve your problem: First you
go take an introductory class in programming and learn to write
programs in some language. Then you go to the bookstore and buy this
book by Wall and Schwartz, it's really good. Read the book carefully
and try out the examples. Then if you still have general questions
like `How do I do this' instead of `I thought that this code would do
X but instead it does Y' you hire a professional to write your program
for you. Or you could just skip right to step 3. Want my rate
card?''

The worst stupid questions are the ones that come from people who
have no business asking them. The most perfect example of this that I
could have imagined was in comp.unix.questions a couple of years ago.
Some guy came and asked how you could tell if a file is a hard link.
My jaw flapped open and it's stayed open since then. I couldn't have
been any more stumped if he'd asked why Bodhidharma came from the
West. What do you say to this guy? Do you tell him the truth, that
all files are hard links, that even symbolic links are hard links?
He's not going to understand you; you might as well keep your mouth
shut. Do you tell him the truth, that the answer won't do him any
good because he doesn't know what a hard link is, so why did he bother
asking in the first place? No, that'll just make him mad. I followed
that message for the next couple weeks, and nobody said anything.
What could you say? The guy had no business asking the question and
no use for the answer. Maybe the right answer would have been to cut
off his finger or something. I dunno.

Some questions get ignored because they're boring. Someone asked
today how to compare two variables (I assumme he means the contents of
those variables) to see if they're exactly the same. You've gotta be
in an awfully good mood to take the time to answer that. Maybe
someone will. Maybe I will.

If I answer that one today, maybe he'll be back tomorrow asking
how to check to see if two variables contain different values. Maybe
I won't. What I find incredible is that if you tell these people to
go read the manual and come back in two weeks, you sometimes get
jumped on for not being helpful to beginners. Bah. If everyone todl
these people to go read the manual, they'd eventually figure out that
that's what you have to do ,and then I wouldn't have to spend so much
of my life dealing with incompetent programmers.

Some questions are logically nonsensical because the querent
thinks they know more than they do. A lot of these have the form
``How do I use X to accomplish Y?'' There's nothing wrong with this,
except that sometimes X is a chocolate-covered banana and Y is the
integration of European currency systems. I always get stuck on
these, probably because I can't get rid of the idea that the person
really has a good reason for wanting to use X. I know a half-dozen
easy simple ways to accomplish Y, but I can't imagine what X has to do
with it. This is a problem for me in my day job, too. Clients are
always saying to me ``We want to use product X to do multimedia
development on the world-wide web,'' and all I can think is ``Well,
gee, what would you want to go and do that for?'' Sometimes it turns
out that they want to do it because they want to impress the
manufacturers of X, and I don't work on those jobs.

The flip side of this is a questions like ``I want to accomplish
X, but I don't want to use Y. What can I use instead?'' Which,
again, is sometimes reasonable, and then sometimes X is closing a
filehandle and Y is the `close' function.

The questions I like the best are the ones that go like this:

``I want to accomplish X.

I thought that the following code fragment would do it:

But instead it does Y.

Why is that?''

This one is also pretty good:

``I want to accomplish X.

I thought I might be able to use facility Y.

But Y doesn't seem like it's quite right,
because of Z.

What should I use instead of Y, or how can I overcome Z?''

When I ignore these, it's usually because I don't know the answer.
There were an awful lot of them today. It makes me very happy.

There you go; a 160-line dissertation on why questions go unanswered.
Now don't let me hear you saying nobody ever answers your questions.

Mike Heins

Nov 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/9/95
Tom Christiansen <tch...@mox.perl.com> writes:
[mailed and posted]

> [courtesy cc of this posting sent to cited author via email]

>In comp.lang.perl.misc,
> mer...@stonehenge.com writes:
>:>>>>> "Steve" == Steve Pacenka <sp...@cornell.edu> writes:
>:

>:Steve> (Sadly, some of this comes from the imposition of English as

>:Steve> comp.lang.perl.misc's sole language.)
>:
>:I don't have a problem with people posting in another language. I
>:just won't be able to help them. After all, I'm an American,

>:therefore I speak only one (human :-) language. (I lost track at

>:about 60 languages on my resume, but 59 of those are computer
>:languages.)

>Como se llama alguien que habla dos idiomas?
> Bilingue.

>Et quelqu'un qui parle *plus* de deux langues?
> Polyglote.

>And one who speaks but one sole language?
> American.
> (or English... or Australian)

>It's rather embarassing, sometimes, to be an American. Although this year
>I'll've been to Europe five times before the year's through, plus about a
>dozen countries, and I can assure you that it is deeply appreciated by the
>natives when you at least try to speak their language, even though they'll
>almost certainly speak English better than you speak their language. :-(

Unfortunately, we are spoiled. The darn persistence and diligence of
the Europeans in learning English means we don't have to have another
language to get along quite passably.

One point in our defense is that as residents of the largest truly
unilingual nation, we rarely get a chance to practice the languages we
do learn. If we regularly ran across French, (suisse?)German, and
Italian in everyday life, as the Swiss do, we might do just a bit
better.

Go to China and see what percentage of their people speak another
language that is not a dialect of Chinese.

Regards,
Mike Heins

PURCHASE JAMES SPENCER

Nov 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/9/95
sonny (so...@i-link.net) wrote:

: eng...@teleport.com (Norm Babcock) wrote:
: >In article <ukohuoe...@kelly.teleport.com>,
: > mer...@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) wrote:
: >>I lost track at

: >>about 60 languages on my resume, but 59 of those are computer
: >>languages.)
: >

Mike Heins wrote:

>Go to China and see what percentage of their people speak another
>language that is not a dialect of Chinese.

10% of the Chinese indigenous speak *English* "to get along quite passably".
10%!!!!!! Think about that!! That represents 120 million people.
That is just under half the population of good old USA!!

"truly unilingual nation"!!! Come on!! What about Spanish!!

--

James Purchase, lcg...@usthk.ust.hk
Hong Kong University of Science & Technology

Mike Heins

Nov 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/9/95
PURCHASE JAMES SPENCER (lcg...@uxmail.ust.hk) wrote:

: sonny (so...@i-link.net) wrote:
: : eng...@teleport.com (Norm Babcock) wrote:
: : >In article <ukohuoe...@kelly.teleport.com>,
: : > mer...@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) wrote:
: : >>I lost track at
: : >>about 60 languages on my resume, but 59 of those are computer
: : >>languages.)
: : >

: Mike Heins wrote:

: >Go to China and see what percentage of their people speak another
: >language that is not a dialect of Chinese.
:
: 10% of the Chinese indigenous speak *English* "to get along quite passably".
: 10%!!!!!! Think about that!! That represents 120 million people.
: That is just under half the population of good old USA!!

I stand corrected, if that is the case. What other languages do they
know?

: "truly unilingual nation"!!! Come on!! What about Spanish!!

What large block of Spanish-speaking people are you talking about? Brazil
speaks Portugese (and probably ), and I don't believe there are any countries that
come close to the US in size. I stand by my assertion that we are by
far the largest unilingual nation.

Regards,
Mike

Will Morse

Nov 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/9/95
In article <47oonh$7...@csnews.cs.colorado.edu>,

Tom Christiansen <tch...@mox.perl.com> wrote:
> [courtesy cc of this posting sent to cited author via email]
>
>In comp.lang.perl.misc,
> mer...@stonehenge.com writes:
>:>>>>> "Steve" == Steve Pacenka <sp...@cornell.edu> writes:
>:
>:Steve> (Sadly, some of this comes from the imposition of English as
>:Steve> comp.lang.perl.misc's sole language.)
>:
>:I don't have a problem with people posting in another language. I
>:just won't be able to help them. After all, I'm an American,
>:therefore I speak only one (human :-) language. (I lost track at

>:about 60 languages on my resume, but 59 of those are computer
>:languages.)
>
>Como se llama alguien que habla dos idiomas?
> Bilingue.
>
>Et quelqu'un qui parle *plus* de deux langues?
> Polyglote.
>
>And one who speaks but one sole language?
> American.
> (or English... or Australian)
>
>It's rather embarassing, sometimes, to be an American. Although this year
>I'll've been to Europe five times before the year's through, plus about a
>dozen countries, and I can assure you that it is deeply appreciated by the
>natives when you at least try to speak their language, even though they'll
>almost certainly speak English better than you speak their language. :-(
>
>--tom
>--
>Tom Christiansen Perl Consultant, Gamer, Hiker tch...@mox.perl.com
>

>A woman needs a little more weird today than normal. --Andrew Hume

Richard Feynman (I'm probably misspelling that) had some interesting
observations on this in one of his books. It seems he taught in Brazil
for a while. He found that he should speak Portuguse to the students
and they should speak English to him. The reason is that we are better
at filling in the gaps in a structure we already understand than at
creating structure around small samples of something we don't really
understand. While it is absolutely true that more non-English speakers
have a smattering of English than English speakers have a smattering of
anything else, it is also true that the ability of an English speaker
to piece together fractured English will be roughly equal to the ability
of a language X speaker to piece together fractured X.

FWIW

Will

--
# Gravity, # Will Morse
# not just a good idea, # BHP Petroleum (Americas) Inc.

Sergio Gelato

Nov 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/10/95
[This thread is straying away from perl-related issues. Might be time to move
it to another newsgroup, but which one?]

In article <47rsq4$3...@cheyenne.iac.net>, Mike Heins <mi...@iac.net> wrote:

>Tom Christiansen <tch...@mox.perl.com> writes:
>>It's rather embarassing, sometimes, to be an American. Although this year
>>I'll've been to Europe five times before the year's through, plus about a
>>dozen countries, and I can assure you that it is deeply appreciated by the
>>natives when you at least try to speak their language, even though they'll
>>almost certainly speak English better than you speak their language. :-(

>Unfortunately, we are spoiled. The darn persistence and diligence of

>the Europeans in learning English means we don't have to have another
>language to get along quite passably.

Wrong. You would be amazed at the number of people who have told me they
could not participate in some technical newsgroups because their English
was not good enough. Usually these people can read English but dare not
write it. You'll get along, as you say, but will be missing a lot of
opportunities for communication.

>One point in our defense is that as residents of the largest truly
>unilingual nation, we rarely get a chance to practice the languages we
>do learn. If we regularly ran across French, (suisse?)German, and
>Italian in everyday life, as the Swiss do, we might do just a bit
>better.

Truly unilingual? Interesting how whenever I visit Manhattan I easily
get a chance to speak three or four languages on any given day. True,
Manhattan is only an island off the coast of your country; but most
people in the US should at least be running across Spanish on a regular
(if not quite daily) basis.

I am not convinced that Americans (and Britons and Irish) are that much
worse than the rest when it comes to speaking foreign languages. I'll
always remember those times when I recommended such and such a book to
some fellow physics students at a Swiss university only to hear them whine
"je ne peux pas le lire, il est en anglais"!
--
Sergio Gelato
Swiss joke:

Steve Pacenka

Nov 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/10/95
r...@msg.ti.com (Richard L. Wixom) wrote:

>Perhaps we should adopt Perl as the standard language for posts to this
>newsgroup. After all, if we can write poetry in Perl, why not articles :).

We had better not let Randal see this. Have you ever tried to parse JAPHian?

-- SP

PURCHASE JAMES SPENCER

Nov 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/10/95
Mike Heins (mi...@iac.net) wrote:

>What large block of Spanish-speaking people are you talking about?

>Brazil speaks Portugese ....I don't believe there are any countries

>that come close to the US in size. I stand by my assertion that we are by
>far the largest unilingual nation.

I was asserting that the US is *not* a unilinguagl nation. Have you thought
about how many hispanics make up the US population, and the rate at which
they are increasingly proportionally? In parts of California everything
official is in both English and Spanish. In any case you get taught to say
things like exit (salida) thanks to 'Sesame Street'! In terms of offical
languages you are probably right, but I think that demographic changes will
force some linguistic variation upon English-speaking US citizens.

James Purchase, lcg...@usthk.ust.hk Tel: 2358 7862
Hong Kong University of Science & Technology Fax: 2335 0249

Mike Heins

Nov 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/10/95
: Mike Heins (mi...@iac.net) wrote:

: >What large block of Spanish-speaking people are you talking about?
: >Brazil speaks Portugese ....I don't believe there are any countries
: >that come close to the US in size. I stand by my assertion that we are by
: >far the largest unilingual nation.

: I was asserting that the US is *not* a unilinguagl nation. Have you thought
: about how many hispanics make up the US population, and the rate at which
: they are increasingly proportionally? In parts of California everything
: official is in both English and Spanish. In any case you get taught to say
: things like exit (salida) thanks to 'Sesame Street'! In terms of offical
: languages you are probably right, but I think that demographic changes will
: force some linguistic variation upon English-speaking US citizens.

True, changes are afoot. But we were discussing the woeful state of
lingual talents and practices in the U.S., and I was merely trying to
assert that there were more reasons than sheer arrogance.

I WISH we would learn more and practice more languages. We are part
of a world which is changing and becoming less and less fixated on national
boundaries and religious and cultural differences, at least from a
commercial standpoint. 8-)

We are in a position analogous to that IBM was in 12 years ago. They were
not rushing to be UNIX and MS-DOS compliant -- they figured they had the
world by the tail, and were formulating their plans for OS/2 and the PS/2.

But our position is also analogous with Microsoft's. For at least the
moment, everyone else has to be compatible with us. How long that lasts
I can't say.

Regards,
Mike Heins

Doug McNaught

Nov 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/10/95
In article <MJD.95No...@plover.com> m...@plover.com (Mark-Jason Dominus) writes:

[...]

>There you go; a 160-line dissertation on why questions go unanswered.
>Now don't let me hear you saying nobody ever answers your questions.

Couldn't agree more. The ones that bug me are where the question could
either be answered with a modicum of thought, or by--gasp--an
*experiment*! "Does X do Y when given parameter Z?" Try it and find
out! That's what the debugger is for!
OK, OK, enough ranting. I guess I'm grouchy because I didn't write any
Perl today.

--
Doug McNaught Systems Integrator Towson State University
Internet: do...@midget.towson.edu *or* mcnau...@toe.towson.edu

Message has been deleted