Announcing: The Perl Institute: Helping people help Perl help people

Randal Schwartz

Nov 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/4/96
to perl5-...@nicoh.com

Larry Wall, Tom Christiansen and I announce the formation of The Perl
Institute, a non-profit organization. Larry will have a more detailed
statement shortly, but the executive summary looks like this...

Our Mission is: To help people help Perl help people

Our Goals are:

To help keep Perl useful by...

Matching projects to people
Staying ahead of the technical curve
Providing centralized information to a decentralized community

To help keep Perl available by...

Guaranteeing development continuity
Providing an interface between the commercial and freeware
communities
Promoting Perl's strengths to potential Perl programmers

To help keep Perl free by...

Supporting the existing volunteer efforts
Matching people to projects
Interfacing between the freeware and commercial communities

We invite you to become a member of The Perl Institute today. Besides
helping to further the above goals, your membership gets you a free
one-year subscription to The Perl Journal, as well as discounts on Perl
books, and cool T-shirts at "the store." Early members also get really
cool low-numbered easy-to-memorize membership numbers, something to show
your grandkids when they become member number 5,743,391. (:-)

Find out more about the Institute by surfing to http://www.perl.org/ or
send a message to our info-bot at <in...@perl.org>. If you have questions,
write us at t...@perl.org. Pass the word along...

Email: <mer...@stonehenge.com> Snail: (Call) PGP-Key: (finger mer...@ora.com)
Web: <A HREF="http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/">My Home Page!</A>
Quote: "I'm telling you, if I could have five lines in my .sig, I would!" -- me