16-Bit Java Browser?

Andrew Seigner

Mar 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/16/96
Has anyone out there seen a Java capable browser that can run on windows 3.x? Both
Netscape and Hotjava require NT or 95 to view java applets. I don't have the horsepower
to run NT and don't even get me started on 95. Can someone please help?
Siggy

Avi

Mar 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/17/96
Sorry, I have not heard of any Java capable browsers for Windows 3.x. Actually
I did hear somewhere that IBM was working on something for Win 3.x, but I'm not
sure exactly what. You might want to keep an eye on http://www.browserwatch.com,
they keep a comprehensive list of all web browsers.

Anyway, I have partitioned my hard disk on my PC to run both DOS/Windows & Linux.
With Linux I can use a port of the JDK to develop my own Java applets, and also
surf the net with a Java enabled Netscape. I realize this is probably more involved
than upgrading to Win95, but Linux has many other benefits you will never get from
Microsoft.

Jamie

Timothy Weaver

Mar 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/18/96
er...@unixg.ubc.ca (Eric Gisin) wrote:

>Andrew Seigner <si...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>Has anyone out there seen a Java capable browser that can run on windows 3.x? Both
>>Netscape and Hotjava require NT or 95 to view java applets. I don't have the horsepower
>>to run NT and don't even get me started on 95. Can someone please help?
>> Siggy
>

>There might be Win3.1 Java-capable browser soon, but it will probably be
>32-bit. Microsoft's Internet Explorer is a Win32S application.
>
>Take a look at the "Java Browsers" article in the latest JavaWorld
>Online. Its interesting that IBM ported the JDK, but not a browser. I'd
>think the Win3.1 masses need the browser, not the JDK.
>
>Eric Gisin, er...@unixg.ubc.ca

Actually, IBM has done both. They are adding Java capabilities to
their Web Explorer browser. There is a technology demo of it available
right now.

Marc Thibault

Mar 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/18/96
er...@unixg.ubc.ca (Eric Gisin) wrote:
>Take a look at the "Java Browsers" article in the latest JavaWorld
>Online. Its interesting that IBM ported the JDK, but not a browser. I'd
>think the Win3.1 masses need the browser, not the JDK.

The masses may need the browser, but Java needs the JDK. For Java
to really take off as a standard, it needs to harness the power
of the PC development universe. "C" was a cult language until
compilers for the PC became available and a few million programmers
started to use it. If Java had a $50 compiler that ran in 16-bit
Windows, and a stand-alone execution environment (Netscape rapes
5 layers of the ISO model to make sure there's a physical network
in there somewhere), the supply side of the equation would be
satisfied overnight.

--
Cheers,
Marc

---
This is not a secure channel; Assume nothing.

Marc Thibault Information Systems Architect
http://www.synapse.net/~mthibault
Key fingerprint = 76 21 A3 B2 41 77 BC E8 C9 1C 74 02 80 48 A0 1A

Eric Gisin

Mar 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/18/96
Andrew Seigner <si...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Has anyone out there seen a Java capable browser that can run on windows 3.x? Both
>Netscape and Hotjava require NT or 95 to view java applets. I don't have the horsepower
>to run NT and don't even get me started on 95. Can someone please help?
> Siggy

There might be Win3.1 Java-capable browser soon, but it will probably be
32-bit. Microsoft's Internet Explorer is a Win32S application.

Take a look at the "Java Browsers" article in the latest JavaWorld

Online. Its interesting that IBM ported the JDK, but not a browser. I'd
think the Win3.1 masses need the browser, not the JDK.

Eric Gisin, er...@unixg.ubc.ca

Eric Gisin

Mar 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/19/96
Marc Thibault <ma...@tanda.on.ca> wrote:

>er...@unixg.ubc.ca (Eric Gisin) wrote:
>>Take a look at the "Java Browsers" article in the latest JavaWorld
>>Online. Its interesting that IBM ported the JDK, but not a browser. I'd
>>think the Win3.1 masses need the browser, not the JDK.

>The masses may need the browser, but Java needs the JDK. For Java

>to really take off as a standard, it needs to harness the power
>of the PC development universe. "C" was a cult language until
>compilers for the PC became available and a few million programmers
>started to use it. If Java had a $50 compiler that ran in 16-bit
>Windows, and a stand-alone execution environment (Netscape rapes
>5 layers of the ISO model to make sure there's a physical network
>in there somewhere), the supply side of the equation would be
>satisfied overnight.

Anyone who can install JDK 1.0 and write a simple applet will have *no*
trouble installing Win95/NT or Linux, in fact we were probably the first
to upgrade from Win3 to Win95 (or ignore Windows in favour of UNIX).

JDK, with it's UNIX-like installation and poor documentation, is not
suitable for the type of person who is reluctant to trash Windows 3.1.
(I'm not saying we won't see Visual Java, but it will be 32-bit)

Programmers were the first to abandon the 16-bit 8086 environments. Even
DOS game programmers have moved to 32-bit DOS extenders. Anyone have
figures on the number of people who have downloaded JDK 1.0?

Eric Gisin, er...@unixg.ubc.ca

Scott Deeg

Mar 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/19/96
In article <314B41...@earthlink.net>, Andrew Seigner <si...@earthlink.net>

wrote:
> Has anyone out there seen a Java capable browser that can run on windows 3.x?
> Both
> Netscape and Hotjava require NT or 95 to view java applets. I don't have the
> horsepower
> to run NT and don't even get me started on 95. Can someone please help?

Siggy,

No, there is as yet no 16bit java implementation. There are several issues that
make Win3.x a poor candidate for a port (no multitasking, no long file names)
that IBM claims to have solved, but I haven't heard of anything being released.

You might want to try:
http://ncc.hursley.ibm.com/javainfo/activities.html

Scott Deeg

ghost

Mar 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/22/96
Avi <ha...@frb.gov> wrote:

>Sorry, I have not heard of any Java capable browsers for Windows 3.x. Actually
>I did hear somewhere that IBM was working on something for Win 3.x, but I'm not
>sure exactly what. You might want to keep an eye on http://www.browserwatch.com,
>they keep a comprehensive list of all web browsers.

I heard at a recent Java conference at Sun Microsystems in Scotland
that IBM had licenced the code and were producing a browser for Win
3.1. No completion dates were given, but as the info was from an
official source, expect something soon.
Ghost / Martin L. Gill, Msc.
Consultant Programmer, Virtual Byte Cafe Ltd.
VBC is a member of the Scottish Internet Business Association

Email: mg...@taynet.co.uk

Dave Scherman

Mar 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/23/96
Andrew Seigner wrote:

> Has anyone out there seen a Java capable browser that can run on windows 3.x?

I'm a complete newbie here myself, but I've been able to view a few Java
applets on my current setup: 486DX2, WfWG 3.11, Netscape 2.00, Win32s v.1.30.
I don't get the audio portion. Some scripts will run once and then not a
second time, some will not run at all, but some do work fine. I'm not
knowledgeable enough to explain why any of this is, but it's been enough to
pique my interest. With NT 3.51 prices coming down, I'll probably upgrade to
32-bit soon. As a beginning developer of web content, I sure won't be able to
ignore this stuff for long.

Dave

Kandasamy

Mar 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/24/96
Java capable browser is available only on 32 bit OS.
But Javascripts can be run on 16bit Netscape 2.01

Dave Scherman wrote:

> Andrew Seigner wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone out there seen a Java capable browser that can run on windows 3.x?

> --
|Plans Proposals & Projects, 16, Periyar Street, Gandhi Nagar |
|(Consultants) Saligramam, Madras 600 093 India. |
| ___ ___ ___ Phone/fax/modem : 91-44-4831145 |
|| _ \ _ \ _ \ Email/FINGER : p.b...@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in |
|| _/ _/ _/ |
||_| |_| |_| <URL:http://www.lookup.com/homepages/66039/home.html>|

Michael LavallF

Mar 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/29/96
In article <314d3af...@news.primenet.com>,

twe...@npt-tech.com (Timothy Weaver) wrote:
>Actually, IBM has done both. They are adding Java capabilities to
>their Web Explorer browser. There is a technology demo of it available
>right now.

That technology demo is IBM WebExplorer, an OS/2 application.
IBM hasn't released any Java related stuff for the Windows platform
yet.

--
Michael Lavallee | E-Mail: mlav...@ViaNet.on.ca | North Bay Ontario
Team OS/2 Canada | http://tnt.ViaNet.on.ca/pages/mlavalle | -=[C A N A D A]=-