Forth makes history

Mark Wills

Nov 12, 2014, 11:42:11 AM11/12/14
The EAS Philae Lander has just landed on a comet, the first
time that it's ever been done. It's a first for Forth, too.
The Lander's CPU is a radiation-hardened RTX2010, a native
Forth CPU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTX2010

Thanks to Julian Skidmore for the heads-up via the Fignition
list.

Mark

Mark Wills

Nov 12, 2014, 11:50:36 AM11/12/14

rickman

Nov 12, 2014, 12:23:25 PM11/12/14
From the SGF site,

The Harris RTX2010 processor "is a stack based, Forth language oriented
processor with an exotic and challenging instruction set."

I'm not sure why they felt the need to say that.

--

Rick

Andrew Haley

Nov 12, 2014, 1:02:46 PM11/12/14
"Exotic and challenging," bah. If you say RTX2010 is exotic and
challenging, I'm going to raise you Itanium. Now, *that* is exotic
and challenging.

Andrew.

jda...@ifbyphone.com

Nov 13, 2014, 11:26:06 AM11/13/14
On Wednesday, November 12, 2014 10:50:36 AM UTC-6, Mark Wills wrote:

> http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/experimentDisplay.do?id=PHILAE%20%20%20-04

This last link appears broken. Could you provide an updated one? Thanks!

visua...@rocketmail.com

Nov 13, 2014, 12:08:38 PM11/13/14

Paul E Bennett

Nov 13, 2014, 12:17:02 PM11/13/14
Try this one:-

<http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/experimentSearch.do>

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET.....<email://Paul_E....@topmail.co.uk>
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy.............<http://www.hidecs.co.uk>
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-510979

visua...@rocketmail.com

Nov 13, 2014, 6:36:08 PM11/13/14
On Thursday, November 13, 2014 12:17:02 PM UTC-5, Paul E Bennett wrote:
> Try this one:-
> <http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/experimentSearch.do>

More than 30,000 people are watching now:
http://new.livestream.com/ESA/cometlanding

Found at
http://www.wired.com/2014/11/rosetta-philae-comet-landing-success/?mbid=nl_111214