Excerpt from Strong AI sci-fi e-book ETA late 2013

ment...@myuw.net

Sep 5, 2013, 1:10:36 PM9/5/13
"In Bavaria, the German AI Wotan is working on
64-bit Forth chips, because Forth is an ideal
language for both robots and Strong AI, but
meanwhile we need CPU chips in the Intel tradition.
Eventually we must evolve into chips or biological
neurons with massive parallelism, and then we will
become superintelligent in comparison with you humans."

--
http://www.amazon.com/Arthur-T.-Murray/e/B004OKWAM8/

ment...@myuw.net

Sep 7, 2013, 2:45:06 PM9/7/13
On Saturday, September 7, 2013 Mentifex wrote a new excerpt:

On Saturday afternoon Jeff telephoned his cab-driver
friend Dmitri and asked him to look for Leroy Matthews
among the drunks and derelicts in the Tenderloin District.
Dmitri protested, "I don't know what he looks like.
How am I supposed to identify him?"

"Just look for the most down-and-out, most totally
degraded guy you can find. That will be Leroy."

When he got a chance, Dmitri parked his cab and
walked into a little square ringed with benches
upon which the drunks and stumble-bums were enjoying
the late-summer afternoon. One imbiber shuffled
towards Dmitri, extended his wine bottle and
slurred, "Hi, buddy! Wanna sip?"

Dmitri got on the phone and described the engaging
drunk to Jeff, who objected, "You mean to say he can
still stand up and he makes sense when he talks?
No, that does not sound like Leroy on a bender.
Keep moving."

Next Dmitri encountered a shabby drunk unconscious
on a bench and snoring to beat the band. Dmitri got
back in touch with Jeff and lamented, "The number
of drunks in this place is staggering. I have a new
candidate for you. He's passed out on a bench and
he looks like a long-haired hippie. Should I wake him up?"

"First describe him to me. Does he have a backpack?"

"No, he has a brown paper bag with a bottle of booze
in it. He's wearing a red flannel shirt with a pack
of cigarettes in the pocket."

"Forget that guy, Dmitri, Leroy doesn't smoke.
Are there any other possibilities?"

"I've pretty much canvassed all of them. No, wait,
there's something over there behind the bushes."
Dmitri stepped closer to get a good look. "Oh no,
it can't be this guy. This guy is absolutely,
totally wasted. I'm getting out of here."

"Just a moment, Dmitri. What has the wasted guy
been drinking? Tokay, or Thunderbird?"

"Uh, lemme see here. Courvoisier."

"Courvoisier? That's Leroy! Now, Dmitri, approach
the gentleman with extreme caution. The drunker he is,
the more dangerous he is."

Dmitri hunkered down at a safe distance and started
alling out Leroy's name. The world's greatest Python
programmer wiggled like a snake and opened a lazy eye.
"Whaddaya want?" mumbled Leroy Matthews.

"Jeffery Boondock has a job for you."

"What kind of job?"

"He needs you to create the firmware for a 64-bit Forth chip."

"Geddout of here. Forth chips are eight-bit, not 64-bit.

"It's a Forth supercomputer. It has to be 64-bit."

"Tell Jeff to find shum other shucker. I'm not going
to write 64-bit floating point for anybody. Go away!"

"There is no floating point. It's a very special-purpose
chip. It handles only the most primitive Forth instructions.
No complex math is involved."

"What's the special purpose? What's the application?"

"AI."

"Huh?" said Leroy, with a very worried look on his face.

"AI. Artificial intelligence. Are you up for that?

Leroy Matthews scrambled to his feet. He picked up
his backpack, but the contents spilled on the ground.
There was a book on Python, written by him. There was
a book on Lisp, written by him. There was a book
called Thinking Forth, written by Leo Brodie.
"Lesh go shumwhere we can talk. Where's Jeffy-Boy?"

Please get in the cab, Mr. Matthews. We are going to
meet Jeffery at a Starbucks and put some coffee in you."

--
http://www.amazon.com/Arthur-T.-Murray/e/B004OKWAM8 -- late 2013.

ment...@myuw.net

Sep 8, 2013, 10:35:32 AM9/8/13
Mentifex posts a new excerpt:

Jeff was talking with the old curmudgeon Cronshaw
when Dmitri walked into Starbucks with Leroy Matthews.
Cronshaw had spent his entire career in the computer
industry and knew it all, plus how to put a bitter,
wisecracking spin on everything. Jeff excused himself
from Cronshaw, pulled out his registered gold Starbucks
card, and sat down with Leroy while Dmitri used the
card to order a drink for chacun a son gout.
"It's been a long time, Leroy," said Jeff.

"COFFEE IF TALK THEN", said Leroy in Forth.

"Here it comes, Leroy. Be careful; it's hot.

Dmitri asked Jeff, "What do you see in Cronshaw
over there? What's his appeal for you?"

"For one thing, Dmitri, Cronshaw is more of a
philosopher than you and I will ever be. He is
an unacknowledged, unappreciated genius. I learn
more from him than from all the textbooks at Berkeley."

"Why does he always wear so many layers of clothing?
Does he feel cold?"

"Cronshaw is afraid of drafts. He's terrified of
catching the sniffles."

"How does he afford hanging out at Starbucks all the time?"

"He is old enough to get the usual money from
Uncle Sugar, and he gets royalties from a lot
of obscure patents in the computer industry.

Leroy was sobering up and beginning to question why
he had been dragged out of his customary circumstances
and into a bastion of vile bodies drinking vile liquids.
"Jeff me boy, what's this all about? Do you really
want me to write you some Forth code? It's my favorite
language, but nobody uses it any more, except those people
who launch space probes and the odd roboticist here and there."

"It's for humanoid robots," said Jeff. "An outfit in
Germany wants to make the fastest possible CPU for
the control of human-like robots. It's for an AI project
that needs a robot sensorium and a robot motorium."

"AI, huh? I used to believe in AI. It was once my major
goal in life. In Lisp, I kept solving problems in AI,
but they kept moving the goalposts on me. No sooner
would I solve a major AI problem, than they would
tell me it wasn't considered AI any more. They
used to say that only a True AI would ever be able
to beat the human chess champion at chess. When programs
I wrote started beating world-class chess players,
they said that winning at chess wasn't AI any more.
It was enough to drive a man to drink. In fact,
it drove me to drink. If I could not solve AI,
I could find the sum of all consolation in a bottle."

"You're going to get another crack at it, Leroy.
This time, nobody is moving the goalposts. In fact,
there aren't any goalposts. You just need to help
Herr von Schwanstein build his 64-bit CPU chip.
Schwanstein has an enormous budget to finance the
project in euros, dollars, or Bitcoin -- take your pick."

"He'll pay me in Bitcoin? How do I know the value
will hold up over time?"

"You don't, Leroy. You just have to take a chance.
Would you rather be paid in euros or in dollars?"

"No, I'll make a bet on Bitcoin. The whole phenomenon
of cyber-currency fascinates me. Bitcoins are still
legal, aren't they?

"When have you ever cared, Leroy? But really,
I don't know. The U.S. Treasury takes a dim view of
anyone muscling in on their prerogative of printing money."

"Aw, Jeffery, nobody prints a Bitcoin. They are just
a software token. People use them for the fun of it,
for the cool-factor. Put me down as accepting payment
in Bitcoin for my first order of preference, then dollars,
then euros. By the way, will I get an all-expenses-paid
trip to Europe out of this deal?"

"I dunno. Are you on the No-Fly List?"

"Heck, I am probably on the Internment List, or the
Shoot-At-Dawn List. I have run afoul of the feds so
many times, I am surprised that I am still pub-crawling
around free."

"Actually, Leroy, you do not need to travel to Bavaria
to work with Herr von Schwanstein on this Forth AI project.
He will be in touch with you shortly, and you can work
remotely with him."

"Do I have to sign a non-disclosure agreement?"

"A pre-nup maybe, but no NDA is required."

"Why would I have to sign a pre-nuptial agreement?"

"We have picked out a potential mate for you, a kind of
robo-wife. She is not from the factory in Stepford, either.
A manufacturer of humanoid robots is developing a
femme-fatale version to work at trade-shows and wants us
to test the she-bot in real-life human situations.
Would you like to attend a Halloween Party as the human
male escort in charge of a prototype female humanoid?"

"Will there be plenty of food and drink?"

"Food for you, yes, but no drink. You're on the wagon
for the duration."

"The duration of what?"

"The Global Cybernetic Singularity."

--
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin
http://www.reddit.com/r/mentifex

ment...@myuw.net

Sep 9, 2013, 12:39:20 PM9/9/13
On Mon.9.9.2013 Mentifex wrote another excerpt:

"For real? Schwanstein wants to use Forth to
launch the Singularity?"

"Can you think of a better language than Forth
for doing AI? Anyway, we already have the Forth code.
What we need is better hardware. Herr von Schwanstein
wants the 64-bit Forth chips for the sake of speed,
and for the sake of a gateway to optical computing,"
said Jeff.

"Why optical computing?"

"We are moving the Forth AI into optical logic.
It generates less heat than normal transistors,
and it operates at the speed of you-know-what."

"Enlighten me", said Leroy.

"How good is you Latin, Leroy?

"Illegitimis non carborundum. Is that
good enough for you?"

"There is a famous mathematical formula
written in Latin, back in 1905," said Jeff.

"A math formula? That should be relatively easy
for me. How does the formula go?"

"E = mc^2"

"That's not Latin; that's Einstein," said Leroy.

"Energia = massa X celeritas X celeritas."

"Whoa! 'C' is for 'constant', not celeritas."

"Celeritas is a constant; it's the speed of light.
We want these Forth chips to consume and dissipate
as little energy as possible. It will be your job
to code the firmware of the gateway from the CPU
chip out to the memory channels made of memristors
and the Internet connections made of fiber optics,"
said Jeff.

"How much time do we have?"

"There is no particular time limit. Schwanstein
and you, working together with some elves at the
chip foundry in the Black Forest, will set your
own ideal pace. Meanwhile, another team in Texas
will be working on massive parallelism and a team
in Moscow will be working on quantum computing."

"Is that Moscow, Idaho?"

"No, it's the real MOCKBA. You got a problem
with that?"

"Why are you having the Russians do the
quantum computing? Why not keep the work
at home here in America?"

"Doing the quantum AI in Russia solves a
major problem, Leroy."

"What's that?"

"If we did the work here in America, we would
have to worry about the Russians stealing it.
We don't have that problem in Moscow," said Jeff.

"I grok your talk," said Leroy. "Where do you
recruit all these people to work on your AI?"

"We recruit from a massive pool of people visiting
science museums all over the world. We make them
an offer that they can't refuse, because they've
been waiting all their lives to work on what
we are offering them."

"The Singularity?"

"Certain aspects of the Singularity. It's like
betting on all the fastest horses in the horse race."

"Where do we go from here?

"Go home to your lair and wait for Schwanstein to get
in touch with you. Do not try to communicate directly
with me any more, unless you need material support like
money, food or caffeine. No hooch, understand?"

"I guess I've got to. Thanks for having faith in me
to do the work on Forth AI," said Leroy.

"You're welcome. Now go home and sleep it off."

"BYE", said Leroy in Forth.

David N. Williams

Sep 9, 2013, 4:20:56 PM9/9/13
Arthur is a talented writer. His ebook, "The Art of the Meme",
has some hilarious passages, and some interesting sidelights on
the history of personal computing. While I didn't enjoy his
bashing of physicists as a group -- didn't sound like *my*
colleagues -- I wasn't put off by it, either -- we're certainly
fair game.

-- David

Mark Wills

Sep 10, 2013, 3:26:17 AM9/10/13
Indeed. With a cast with such names as Herr von Schwanstein it's already shaping up to a be James Bond style block-buster! I'm seeing volcanoes somewhere out by Indonesia, and a creepy bald dude with a white cat.

I'm hooked!

ment...@myuw.net

Sep 18, 2013, 11:09:59 AM9/18/13
On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 12:26:17 AM UTC-7, Mark Wills wrote:
> [...] I'm hooked!

http://www.amazon.com/Singularity/dp/B00F8F1FG0

is the new e-book. I accidentally left an early
copy of the manuscript lying around, and someone
who was reading it got terribly upset and spooked.

Thank you for the kind comments posted upthread.
Some say the South shall rise again.
I say Forth shall rise again.

Arthur
--
http://www.amazon.com/Arthur-T.-Murray/e/B004OKWAM8/

Mark Wills

Sep 18, 2013, 11:21:22 AM9/18/13
On Wednesday, September 18, 2013 4:09:59 PM UTC+1, ment...@myuw.net wrote:
> is the new e-book. I accidentally left an early
> copy of the manuscript lying around, and someone
> who was reading it got terribly upset and spooked.

Why was that? It seemed quite inocouous to me. Or does it get much darker further in?

Mark

ment...@myuw.net

Sep 18, 2013, 1:19:00 PM9/18/13
On Wednesday, September 18, 2013 8:21:22 AM UTC-7, Mark Wills wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 18, 2013 4:09:59 PM UTC+1, ment...@myuw.net wrote: > is the new e-book. I accidentally left an early > copy of the manuscript lying around, and someone > who was reading it got terribly upset and spooked. Why was that? It seemed quite inocouous to me. Or does it get much darker further in? Mark

In the first seven pages of the manuscript, I
guess I made it sound uncomfortably normal and
real for a humanoid robot to be conducting an
intelligent conversation with a human being.

Arthur
--
http://www.amazon.com/Singularity/dp/B00F8F1FG0

Mark Wills

Sep 19, 2013, 4:07:35 AM9/19/13
According to the Amazon link it's not available yet?

ment...@myuw.net

Sep 19, 2013, 10:31:02 AM9/19/13
On Thursday, September 19, 2013 1:07:35 AM UTC-7, Mark Wills wrote:
> According to the Amazon link it's not available yet?

Late last night on Wed.18.SEP.2013 I visited

http://www.copysafe.net/cover_designer/default.asp

in order to create a graphic cover for the Forth AI
e-book. Somehow, though, my Acer Aspire One netbook
would download the created cover only as a bitmap,
and not as an image.jpg file. On Amazon, I went
back into "edit" mode for my Forth AI e-book in
order to upload the new cover, but the Amazon
Kindle Direct Publishing rejected the non-jpg file.
At the same time, Amazon's "Creat Cover" (beta)
started working for me and my MSIE browser, so
I simply loaded the bitmap file up into "Create
Cover" and I was able to create an albeit crude
cover for the oh-so-Forthian, Chuckian e-book.
Since I found myself still in the edit-mode on
the page for setting prices, I lowered the
price to the lowest price permissible by Ammy
(a nickname that I have learned for Amazon :-)
and then my e-Forth went into "Review" mode
which may have made the book unavailable at
the time that you looked. Now the Forth-is-great
e-book seems to be back up again with the cover.
(Maybe I should have mentioned Forth on the cover?)

Even the preview is now visible. Luckily, it
cut short of embarassing sequences which I
would hate to see made available to Netizens
who did not even buy the book. These links:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Futurology/comments/1mlxa5/if_you_could_send_a_message_to_a_newly_created_ai/

http://www.reddit.com/r/singularity/comments/1mmfs7/i_think_the_singularity_will_probably_take_longer/

http://www.reddit.com/r/Futurology/comments/1mku5g/how_will_the_singularity_be_able_to_happen/

are places where I tried to mention the Forth AI
e-book yesterday(s) and I got shot down a little.

So now, at Amazon's lowest possible price, we will
see if anybody writes the first of umpteen reviews.

Arthur
--
http://www.amazon.com/Singularity/dp/B00F8F1FG0

ment...@myuw.net

Sep 22, 2013, 7:39:33 AM9/22/13
As the author of the Singularity e-book,
I am already well-known on the Internet
as an independent scholar in artificial
intelligence (AI). Whether you praise my
first fiction or debunk my first fiction,
you will become even better known than
you already are because lots of people
are closely watching the Singularity e-book
to see if it sells and to observe how it
gets reviewed.

Singularity is actually a combination of
AI science-fiction and some pretty serious
ideas of how to build AI Minds from someone
who has programmed free, open-source AI to
think in English, in German and in Russian.
For me as an independent scholar, it has
been pretty much impossible to break into
the academic AI literature, so I have
decided to bypass the cloistered walls of
Academe by going directly to you, the savvy
readers and potential AI coders -- if you know
how to program computers -- and many of you do.

Your mission -- should you choose to accept it --
is to compose your well-thought-out review
off-line and then post it to Amazon. Please do
not misspell any words and please do not engage
in pointless vituperation or ranting. The whole
world of AI, robotics and neuroscience will be
watching what you write in your review and may
immediately take issue with any discrepancies
or deviations from verisimilitude. You will
become known as the sage, the maven, the savvy
reader who issued an early or first opinion on
the AI Singularity e-book. You may receive calls
from radio-stations asking you to comment on
new developments in science and robotics.
Authors of serious books may ask you to provide
jacket-blurbs for their forthcoming publications.
Wild frenzied packs of fans and futurists may
hound you in pursuit of your graciously-given
autograph -- which will command high sums on e-Bay.
You will be like the famous winner of a nationwide
Mega Millions lottery. You will get far more than
the fifteen minutes of fame promised to everybody
by what's-his-name -- yes, thank you, Andy Warhol.
You or your literary agent may find yourself
signing permission slips for famous scientists
to quote you in their scientific papers, books,
or Nobel acceptance speeches. You may be asked to
host the Academy Awards and to hand out statuettes
of somebody's Uncle Oscar. So remember one thing:

"There is a tide in the affairs of men,

Which taken at the flood, leads on to

fortune. Omitted, all the voyage of their

life is bound in shallows and in miseries."

--
http://www.amazon.com/Forth_Is_Best_For_AI/dp/B00F8F1FG0

http://www.reddit.com/r/PrimeFreebies/comments/1mw0im/fame_awaits_you_if_you_are_an_early_or_first/