Disaster.. I have lost my source code.

Craig Westlake

Apr 13, 2002, 10:29:17 AM4/13/02
I dont think I am going to have much luck, but I have recently had a
disaster and lost the latest version of the source I was working on. I have
a backup from a few days ago, but would love not to have to remember what I
have done. Is there an application to reverse engineer an .exe to recover
my source.

Cheers

Craig

Duane Bozarth

Apr 13, 2002, 10:52:24 AM4/13/02

Yes, it's called "backup" <G>...

No, sorry...there are decompilers, but they produce assembler and can't
recover the actual code...probably more difficult to re-engineer your
code changes from that than to simply recode it...

Randy Birch

Apr 13, 2002, 12:28:17 PM4/13/02
Sorry, no. You have now graduated to next level of awareness .. saving
often. Load your backup, and approach it with the idea you can do better the
second time around.

(Back in The Old Days when I was the moderator of the Fidonet VB forum, I
lost my entire drive. While not even a 1/50th the size I have now with all
my demos, I was devastated. Thankfully all the fido regulars had kept copies
of the routines I'd posted over the past couple of years, and while not
perfect I did recover about 40% of my original source. The moral .. make
backups part of the normal development process, not something done every
month containing a "v"). I know this doesn't address your problem but you
can take solace in realizing everyone goes through this, or a form of this,
at one time or another. Remember the adage .. "its not if your hard drive
will fail, its when".

--

Randy Birch
MVP Visual Basic

*BASIC: Briskly Achieved Solutions Impossible in C*

"Craig Westlake" <westlak...@saambulance.com.au> wrote in message

Michael Carton

Apr 13, 2002, 12:56:25 PM4/13/02
Randy Birch wrote:

> "Craig Westlake" <westlak...@saambulance.com.au> wrote in message
> > I dont think I am going to have much luck, but I have recently had a
> > disaster and lost the latest version of the source I was working on. I
> > have a backup from a few days ago, but would love not to have to remember
> > what I have done. Is there an application to reverse engineer an .exe
> > to recover my source.

> Sorry, no. You have now graduated to next level of awareness .. saving

> often. Load your backup, and approach it with the idea you can do better the
> second time around.

Better yet: use Source Safe or one of the open-source equivalents. Have the
Source Safe database on another PC or back up the Source Safe database.

--
MikeC

Please reply to the group.

Mike Labosh

Apr 13, 2002, 4:20:45 PM4/13/02
Microsoft Visual SourceSafe.

put it on a big box with a tape backup setup on a schedule.

Another fav of mine is PKZIP. I archive the entire project directory
tree with folders, and the current date works well as a filename:

20020413.ZIP = today's backup.

A 100MB ZIP drive is a handy thing too. On occasion when I had to fly
out on-site and I was paranoid about metal detectors & my laptop, I
zipped up the stuff for the client project and emailed it to myself,
that way, if anything happened, I could get the code by checking my
mail.
--
Peace & happy computing,

Mike Labosh, MCSD MCT
"Feed the children! Save the whales! Free the mallocs!" --Unknown

Larry Linson

Apr 13, 2002, 8:03:59 PM4/13/02
Good suggestion, yours and Michael's, for the coporate developer, but not
feasible for a good many independent developers who don't have a "big box"
in their home network (if, indeed, they have a home office network at all,
it is likely to be peer-to-peer).

Mike Labosh <mla...@vbsensei.com> wrote in message

Mike Labosh

Apr 13, 2002, 8:21:19 PM4/13/02
> Good suggestion, yours and Michael's, for the coporate developer,
but not
> feasible for a good many independent developers who don't have a
"big box"
> in their home network (if, indeed, they have a home office network
at all,
> it is likely to be peer-to-peer).

I am a laid off programmer. This is pronounced indie / contractor /
consultant. :)

My "big box" is a dual PII 350MHz with 10 gigs and 256 megs. not a
"big box" by today's standards. I run W2K Server on it and it is the
thing that hosts vbsensei.com. I do all my work on my laptop and keep
backups of it in source safe on my server.

Advice for indies -- get more machines. When you wake up at 3:00 am
with a wizardly distributed revelation, you can't jump out of bed and
try it out unless you have the hardware. I acquired 3 bitty boxes (P
166 / 64MB / 6.4 GB) that I use for these purposes (as well as the
occasional Quake-athon weekend LAN party)

my laptop is the most expensive machine by far. The rest I built at
bottom dollar to get just enough bang for the least bucks and there is
no way I would ever go back to just one machine.

javalab

Apr 13, 2002, 8:23:30 PM4/13/02
an ibm 60gb ide hd is around $150-200 here (italy). scsi 18 uw, $300.
backing up hd2hd or better pc2pc is the fastest and easiest way for me.
if laptop, home pc, work pc and servers get broken at once, someone nuked
me. in case, why bother ? :)
ciao, andrea
--
http://www.sundaysw.com

"Larry Linson" <larry....@ntpcug.org> ha scritto

> Good suggestion, yours and Michael's, for the coporate developer, but not
> feasible for a good many independent developers who don't have a "big box"
> in their home network (if, indeed, they have a home office network at all,
> it is likely to be peer-to-peer).
>
> Mike Labosh <mla...@vbsensei.com> wrote in message

> > Microsoft Visual SourceSafe.

Mike Labosh

Apr 13, 2002, 9:43:11 PM4/13/02
> if laptop, home pc, work pc and servers get broken at once, someone
nuked
> me. in case, why bother ? :)

Thats what you get for being so close to the middle east :)

Frank Adam

Apr 13, 2002, 9:56:31 PM4/13/02
On Sat, 13 Apr 2002 16:28:17 GMT, "Randy Birch" <r...@mvps.org> wrote:

>Sorry, no. You have now graduated to next level of awareness .. saving
>often. Load your backup, and approach it with the idea you can do better the
>second time around.
>
>(Back in The Old Days when I was the moderator of the Fidonet VB forum, I
>lost my entire drive. While not even a 1/50th the size I have now with all
>my demos, I was devastated. Thankfully all the fido regulars had kept copies

Indeed, i was a moderator for the C_ECHO at one stage. We were not so
hush hush about our codes back then. and a fair few of us had a very
deep message base. 100-200 Megs like mine were not uncommon.

But yeah, great idea let's all post our source codes here for safe
keeping... Rick goes first ;-)

Regards, Frank

Randy Birch

Apr 13, 2002, 11:50:19 PM4/13/02
> But yeah, great idea let's all post our source codes here for safe
> keeping...

Hmm .. 392 meg, 11,869 files, 1490 folders. Don't think so <g>.

Rick Rothstein

Apr 14, 2002, 3:20:06 AM4/14/02
> But yeah, great idea let's all post our source codes here for safe
> keeping... Rick goes first ;-)

I have attached a copy of every piece of (source) code I've ever written to this message
<g>.

Actually, I have no need to store my source code for safe keeping. I usually just throw it
away once I make my executable. None of my software ever goes past Version 1.0. Ahhh, the
benefits of being perfect. <g>

Rick

Rick Rothstein

Apr 14, 2002, 3:29:46 AM4/14/02
I search the local computer store ads looking for those CD-R sales where you can buy
blanks for a few pennies after mail-in rebates. I buy all the free ones (after rebate) and
usually those that work out to a dime or less per disk. Currently, I have about 600 blanks
in my closet. I use these to back up my program's code every day. Once the CD-R's are full
and old enough, I simply throw them away. (Note: If you need to bring back code from a
CD-R, don't forget to remove the Read Only status that each file has after you copy them
back into your hard drive.)

Rick

"Larry Linson" <larry....@ntpcug.org> wrote in message

Frank Adam

Apr 14, 2002, 3:45:03 AM4/14/02
On Sun, 14 Apr 2002 07:20:06 GMT, "Rick Rothstein"
<rickNOS...@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote:

>> But yeah, great idea let's all post our source codes here for safe
>> keeping... Rick goes first ;-)
>
>I have attached a copy of every piece of (source) code I've ever written to this message
><g>.

LOL.. my master plan foiled again :-)

>Actually, I have no need to store my source code for safe keeping. I usually just throw it
>away once I make my executable. None of my software ever goes past Version 1.0. Ahhh, the
>benefits of being perfect. <g>

I start with version 2.2 revision 5, it makes my software look more in
line with a product written using MS technology. :-)

Regards, Frank

Rick Rothstein

Apr 14, 2002, 4:14:03 AM4/14/02
> >I have attached a copy of every piece of (source) code I've ever written to this
message
> ><g>.
> >
> LOL.. my master plan foiled again :-)

Sorry... but my code base is not really all that special. If your thinking is that I have
some large store of code that I use for answering questions on the various newsgroup,
you'll be disappointed to know that I don't. Yes, when facing previously asked questions,
I recycle code that I've previously posted; however, all of that is available via a search
of Google using my name as the search string. (You should add a "vb" to the search string
as I'm also quite active in an anagramming newsgroup.)

> >Actually, I have no need to store my source code for safe keeping. I usually just throw
it
> >away once I make my executable. None of my software ever goes past Version 1.0. Ahhh,
the
> >benefits of being perfect. <g>
> >
> I start with version 2.2 revision 5, it makes my software look more in
> line with a product written using MS technology. :-)

Oh no, I would never do that. There is no way I want to be associated with Microsoft's
theory of program development and release <g>.

Rick

Rick Rothstein

Apr 14, 2002, 4:26:34 AM4/14/02
> > >I have attached a copy of every piece of (source) code I've ever written to this
> message
> > ><g>.
> > >
> > LOL.. my master plan foiled again :-)
>
> Sorry... but my code base is not really all that special. If your thinking is that I
have
> some large store of code that I use for answering questions on the various newsgroup,
> you'll be disappointed to know that I don't. Yes, when facing previously asked
questions,
> I recycle code that I've previously posted; however, all of that is available via a
search
> of Google using my name as the search string. (You should add a "vb" to the search
string
> as I'm also quite active in an anagramming newsgroup.)

Damn! I meant to add that... for questions that have not been asked previously (and
assuming the question deals with an area of VB that I am familiar with), I invent my
solutions on the spot. I live for these type of questions. I have always liked doing
puzzles, but they tend to be "artificial". But, when some poses a question requiring an
"odd" algorithm... well, to me, that is the ideal puzzle -- challenging and of practical
use. So, as you can see, I don't really have a "store" of interesting code.

Rick

javalab

Apr 14, 2002, 5:10:16 AM4/14/02

"Rick Rothstein" <rickNOS...@NOSPAMcomcast.net> ha scritto

dont throw it away.
donate it to the hungry coders.

j.panting.and.begging :)

Red Galaxy

Apr 14, 2002, 1:09:11 PM4/14/02
The benefits of bein perfect...is fine until you want to extend your program
with new features! I'd keep the code, lol

Paul

"Rick Rothstein" <rickNOS...@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message

javalab

Apr 14, 2002, 8:00:11 PM4/14/02

"Mike Labosh" <mla...@vbsensei.com> ha scritto

> > if laptop, home pc, work pc and servers get broken at once, someone
> nuked
> > me. in case, why bother ? :)
>
> Thats what you get for being so close to the middle east :)

tectonics is on my side, and thanks to vb i'm already used to epochs :)

a.