Eclipse: running on server error: "Multiple Contexts have a path of ..."

Woland

Feb 4, 2008, 10:31:48 AM2/4/08
Hi all!

I'm having a problem running my web project on server (Tomcat 5.5 or
Tomcat 6.0) from Eclipse IDE 3.3 WST.
Whenever I try to run my project on server, during the publishing
process I get the following error:

Multiple Contexts have a path of "/Project_Name"

I've tried many thing to solve it including making a new workspace
directory.

Any ideas?

xlucio...@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2008, 9:19:17 AM2/14/08

Hello

Try to rename the Project / Properties / WebProject Settings to
Project_name2 for example.
Works fine for me.

Now why this $#%#*# happen, I simplily don't know!!!

kennis...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2008, 4:31:12 AM3/3/08

Actually it's really simple. The server.xml file is corrupted by
Eclipse!!! How it happens I don't know, there could be many reasons
internal to Eclipse WST guts. So, like I found out many times with
Eclipse, don't be afraid to do some XML file surgery.

Open the corrupted server.xml file by selecting it in Eclipse.
Do a search for the particular path ( /Project_Name ) ...
notice how there are multiple Context tags using the same path? Remove
the unwanted ones and live will be good yet again.

No thanks, just making the programmer world a better place

Daniel Gressmann

feit...@gmail.com

Mar 22, 2008, 3:13:57 AM3/22/08
> Daniel Gressmann- 隐藏被引用文字 -
>
> - 显示引用的文字 -

Thank you!
I met this problem then I goole it
find you method, and take a try. Now it can work!
Thank you !!!^_^

swat...@gmail.com

Jul 23, 2012, 10:25:21 AM7/23/12
Thank Tou ssoooooo much Daniel....:) :)

On Monday, 3 March 2008 15:01:12 UTC+5:30, (unknown) wrote:
> On 14 feb, 15:19, xlucio.fla...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On 4 fev, 12:31, Woland <thewol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all!
> >
> > > I'm having a problem running my web project on server (Tomcat 5.5 or
> > > Tomcat 6.0) from Eclipse IDE 3.3 WST.
> > > Whenever I try to run my project on server, during the publishing
> > > process I get the following error:
> >
> > > Multiple Contexts have a path of "/Project_Name"
> >
> > > I've tried many thing to solve it including making a new workspace
> > > directory.
> >
> > > Any ideas?
> >
> > Hello
> >
> > Try to rename the Project / Properties / WebProject Settings to
> > Project_name2 for example.
> > Works fine for me.
> >
> > Now why this $#%#*# happen, I simplily don't know!!!
>
> Actually it's really simple. The server.xml file is corrupted by
> Eclipse!!! How it happens I don't know, there could be many reasons
> internal to Eclipse WST guts. So, like I found out many times with
> Eclipse, don't be afraid to do some XML file surgery.

try...@gmail.com

Oct 1, 2012, 6:02:49 AM10/1/12
The corruption of the server.xml file is done by the Server´s plugin. Every time the war is Added (for example, if you remove and add it again) Eclipse creates a new Context tag in the server.xml file.

2408.s...@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2012, 6:07:16 AM11/21/12
Thnks a lot Guys.
I too was having the same issue.
Now its working fine.
Can u suggest why this issue comes...

cs9...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2013, 10:43:57 AM2/20/13
xlucio...@gmail.com於 2008年2月14日星期四UTC+8下午10時19分17秒寫道:
xlucio...@gmail.com於 2008年2月14日星期四UTC+8下午10時19分17秒寫道:
That really help me out, thanks a lot!!

sndpde...@gmail.com

Mar 14, 2013, 2:52:36 AM3/14/13
i had same proble but as u told us i rename it LoginExample to LoginExample2 but its not working still plz help me out here my boss is ssssoooo...........

sun...@i10n.com

Mar 21, 2013, 9:49:49 AM3/21/13
Solution is this ....

In your tomcat conf directory, edit server.xml. My guess is that in there you have two entries for teh same context. Look for two occurrences of the same line. The line will look like the following, where "someApplication" would be your context root.keep one path

<Context docBase="someApplication" path="/someApplication" reloadable="true" source="org.eclipse.jst.jee.server:someApplication"/>

ksev...@gmail.com

Mar 27, 2013, 7:16:43 PM3/27/13
Thank you so much Daniel!

poonam....@gmail.com

May 7, 2013, 5:27:36 AM5/7/13
Thanks for the answer it resolved my query .

Cheers,
Poonam Shah

santhosh...@gmail.com

Aug 13, 2013, 3:46:01 AM8/13/13
Its the best solution... Thank you Daniel Gressmann
Really i tried a lot to get the solution but finally i got this answer.
:) :)

yellowston...@gmail.com

Aug 29, 2013, 1:04:28 PM8/29/13
I tried this and solved it.
1.delete the server folder in workspaces.
2.delete the server within eclipse.
3.add new server in eclipse

deepak...@gmail.com

Nov 28, 2013, 7:24:20 AM11/28/13
Thanks Kennis, It really helped me...

amr.el...@gmail.com

Jul 23, 2014, 7:52:15 AM7/23/14
thanks, that solved the problem.(remove the duplicated context node from server.xml file)

comeo...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2014, 9:05:30 PM8/17/14
2014년 7월 23일 수요일 오후 8시 52분 15초 UTC+9, amr.el...@gmail.com 님의 말:
> thanks, that solved the problem.(remove the duplicated context node from server.xml file)

very good good good answer ! thanks !!!

mohammadi...@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2014, 2:52:57 AM10/11/14
hi there,
I had the same problem, finally I could solve it easily.
In some cases like mine, you are not allowed to change the project's name, so we need to find a way to solve the problem.
The solution is that you just close the server in Eclipse, then try to create a new server, at the end you can run the project and enjoy.

Regards,
Farid Ghareh Mohammadi

trupti.p...@vitstudent.ac.in

Dec 30, 2017, 4:19:20 AM12/30/17
Thank Daniel. I was in trouble first due to tomcat port numbers and then server.xml. but finally it's working.Thanks