UMN Gopher(d) released under the GPL!

Steve Kostecke

Sep 1, 2000, 7:00:02 PM9/1/00

The UMN Gopher(d) has been released under the GPL and is now a part
of Debian GNU/Linux.

http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/net/gopherd.html
http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/net/gopher.html

--
____
||k || Steve Kostecke <st...@kostecke.net>
||__||
|/__\| Public Key at gopher://kostecke.net or `finger st...@kostecke.net`

Cameron Kaiser

Sep 2, 2000, 12:42:07 AM9/2/00
st...@kostecke.net (Steve Kostecke) writes:

>The UMN Gopher(d) has been released under the GPL and is now a part
>of Debian GNU/Linux.

No more UMN licensing restrictions?

--
Cameron Kaiser * cka...@stockholm.ptloma.edu * posting with a Commodore 128
personal page: http://www.armory.com/~spectre/

Steve Kostecke

Sep 2, 2000, 4:00:02 PM9/2/00
In article <ey%r5.1010$M7.1...@sol.newscene.com>, Cameron Kaiser
wrote:

>st...@kostecke.net (Steve Kostecke) writes:
>
>>The UMN Gopher(d) has been released under the GPL and is now a part of
>>Debian GNU/Linux.
>
>No more UMN licensing restrictions?

The license for gopherd v2.3 has not changed.
The license for gopherd v2.3.1 is GPL.

From the Copyright file:

Gopher software distribution for UNIX
Copyright (C) 1991-2000 University of Minnesota

This package (Gopher software distribution for UNIX)
originally had different copying restrictions.
It is now distributed under the GPL.

The source is available from:
ftp://boombox.micro.umn.edu/pub/gopher
or the mirror gopher://quux.org/

The Debian package of gopherd includes the security fix from bugtraq.

Cameron Kaiser

Sep 2, 2000, 10:59:01 PM9/2/00
st...@kostecke.net (Steve Kostecke) writes:

>>>The UMN Gopher(d) has been released under the GPL and is now a part of
>>>Debian GNU/Linux.

>>No more UMN licensing restrictions?

>The license for gopherd v2.3 has not changed.
>The license for gopherd v2.3.1 is GPL.

Fantastic. Is this one the version that incorporates the buffer overflow fix?

Cameron Kaiser

Sep 2, 2000, 10:59:02 PM9/2/00
Never mind, I should read the whole post in future. :-P