X10 & automation in Manchester?

Sigurgeir Orn Jonsson

Oct 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/3/96

I'll be in Manchester, England in about a week and I was wondering if
you know of any X10 and/or automation retail store there?

With beforehand thanks,.
Sigurgeir Jónsson
| Sigurgeir Jonsson | Email: sig...@rhi.hi.is |
| | WWW: http://www.rhi.hi.is/~sigurgj |
| Student of Economics | SMail: Borgarholtsbraut 14, 200 Kopav, Iceland |

John Perry

Oct 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/10/96

I'm interested in controlling our house with X10, so I would be interested to
know the answer if there are any stores in the UK that sell X10 or anything
similar.

John Email: jo...@redoak.demon.co.uk
PGP 2.6.2 public key available

Robert Eaton

Oct 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/13/96

In article <325d359...@news.demon.co.uk>, John Perry
<jo...@redoak.demon.co.uk> writes

>I'm interested in controlling our house with X10, so I would be interested to
>know the answer if there are any stores in the UK that sell X10 or anything
>similar.
>
>sig...@rhi.hi.is (Sigurgeir Orn Jonsson) wrote:
>
>> I'll be in Manchester, England in about a week and I was wondering if
>>you know of any X10 and/or automation retail store there?

X10 kit *was* available in the UK from an Electrical Wholesale company
called Willow Vale who have a Head Office in Reading (01734 876444).
They would supply over the counter or do mail order against a Credit
Card - throughout Europe. They supplied appliance and lighting modules
to fit all styles of European outlets.

I'm not sure, though, that you can still get it through them, but you
might like to try, as it was easy to convince them that you were a Trade
customer, and hence get a 33% discount from the (highly inflated) UK
prices....

AFAIK the X10 equipment does not have CE approval, so cannot be supplied
(legally ?) since 1st Jan this year. There has been some talk of
approval being just a few weeks away for several months now.

However....this newsgroup had a posting recently from a company called
Laser business systems who are offering to supply X10 kit - I took note
of this in case I have to replace or add to any of my current setup, but
I haven't yet been in touch with them, so I'd be interested in how you
get on.

Their catalogue is available on www.io.com/~lbs.

It looks as if they import from the USA and convert to European voltage
and frequency standards. But they aint as cheap as Willow Vale, so try
them first !

Make sure you get UK style equipment - USA style plugs are dangerous
(and illegal) on European voltages .

Best of luck.

Robert Eaton

rob...@resplace.demon.co.uk

David Buckley

Oct 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/15/96

In article <325d359...@news.demon.co.uk> jo...@redoak.demon.co.uk (John Perry) writes:
> I'm interested in controlling our house with X10, so I would be interested to
> know the answer if there are any stores in the UK that sell X10 or anything
> similar.

Bit of a grey area at the mo.

Watch this space!

--
----------------------------------------+------------------------------------
David Buckley of Electric Solutions Ltd | Email: dbuc...@esl.tex.com

Mark McCall

Oct 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/16/96

jo...@redoak.demon.co.uk (John Perry) wrote:

>I'm interested in controlling our house with X10, so I would be interested to
>know the answer if there are any stores in the UK that sell X10 or anything
>similar.

Look here...

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/1155/index.html

Mark McCall

Hans Attersjo

Oct 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/22/96

Or look at for some information on international X10 dealers and how to
use and buy X10 equipment for 220V. There is also some information on
how to modify 110V X10 equipment to 220V(240V),

Hans Attersjo
ESO, La Silla, Chile
www.io.com/~hattersj
hatt...@io.com

~hattersj

Hans Attersjo

Oct 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/23/96

Sorry if reposting. It seems like I managed to attach my home page
instead of the URL to it! Did not even not know that it could be done!
:~) I am not sure that all news readers can handle that. This is what
I wanted to say:

Or look at www.io.com/~hattersj for some information on international

X10 dealers and how to use and buy X10 equipment for 220V. There is

also some information on how to modify 110V X10 equipment to 220V(240V).

Mark McCall

Oct 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/24/96

ma...@mmhost.thegap.com (Mark McCall) wrote:

>jo...@redoak.demon.co.uk (John Perry) wrote:

>>I'm interested in controlling our house with X10, so I would be interested to
>>know the answer if there are any stores in the UK that sell X10 or anything
>>similar.

>Look here...

>http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/1155/index.html

>Mark McCall

OK folks, change that...

The NEW (permanent) URL for UK Home Automation is...

http://www.btinternet.com/~uk.homeautomation/

Sorry about that. Normal service will now be resumed!

Mark McCall

John Perry

Oct 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/25/96

jo...@redoak.demon.co.uk (John Perry) wrote:

>I'm interested in controlling our house with X10, so I would be interested to
>know the answer if there are any stores in the UK that sell X10 or anything
>similar.

Well. I have followed up on this all and Celtel have none in stock as no CE
approval; Lazer Business Systems have limited sticks and no CP290, as these
have been discontinued, as I'm told; Circuit dont stock them and neither do
Smart House Systems.

I have faxed X-10 Europe in Paris and should have a catalogue in a few days.
I'll post the details here after it comes.

Also, thanks Robert for the details via snail mail.

Mark McCall

Oct 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/26/96

jo...@redoak.demon.co.uk (John Perry) wrote:

>jo...@redoak.demon.co.uk (John Perry) wrote:

Hi people

I too faxed X10 Europe about 8 weeks ago but they didn't get back to
me. I actually faxed ALL the X10 offices round the world. Only Hong
Kong replied to me. The guy there put me in touch with a European
distributor but his prices were crazy!

Your best bet is Laser Business Systems. Just lift the phone and you
will have X10 units in a couple of days!

John - be interested to know if you hear anything else.

Regards

Mark McCall

Mark....@btinternet.com
http://www.btinternet.com/~uk.homeautomation/

David Buckley

Oct 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/28/96

In article <326fcb3d...@news.demon.co.uk> jo...@redoak.demon.co.uk (John Perry) writes:
> jo...@redoak.demon.co.uk (John Perry) wrote:
>
> >I'm interested in controlling our house with X10, so I would be interested to
> >know the answer if there are any stores in the UK that sell X10 or anything
> >similar.
> >
> Well. I have followed up on this all and Celtel have none in stock as no CE
> approval; Lazer Business Systems have limited sticks and no CP290, as these
> have been discontinued, as I'm told; Circuit dont stock them and neither do
> Smart House Systems.
>
> I have faxed X-10 Europe in Paris and should have a catalogue in a few days.
> I'll post the details here after it comes.

I've done some recent digging around on this.

If you want proper european X-10 kit, it can be sourced. However, it is
expensive, for example an appliance module in UK money is about 55 quid,
including VAT, without P&P.

I've therefore decided I'm not going to make my fortune by selling
european X-10, it's just too dammed expensive!

Stuff currently available appears to be:

TW7223 Interface, like TW523 but 230V
Lamp module
Appliance module

Plus the DIN rail mount stuff, though why anyone would want anything
except the phase coupler (about 70 quid inc VAT) is beyond me...

I'd advise you to use the excellent UK developed AppCon system, start at
www.quantech.co.uk, it'll save you a ton of money!

kf...@netvigator.com

Oct 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/29/96
to Mark....@btinternet.com

> Hi people
>
> I too faxed X10 Europe about 8 weeks ago but they didn't get back to
> me. I actually faxed ALL the X10 offices round the world. Only Hong
> Kong replied to me. The guy there put me in touch with a European
> distributor but his prices were crazy!
>
> Your best bet is Laser Business Systems. Just lift the phone and you
> will have X10 units in a couple of days!
>
> John - be interested to know if you hear anything else.
>
> Regards
>
> Mark McCall

> Mark....@btinternet.com
> http://www.btinternet.com/~uk.homeautomation/
Hello,

Sorry to interrupt.

In am in Hong Kong and want to buy some X10 products. As you said, the
company I contacted is crazy on their price and I want to know which
company in the world selling 220V X10 products? The company I contacted
is located in the Tsimshatsui district.

Hope you can help.

Reguards.

K. F. Tai

John Perry

Oct 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/29/96

Well, I have the tech brochure which is very comprehensive and also various
small leaflets on the X-10 modules, but no prices. I am desperate for 20-30
appliance modules, and associated controllers. I'll fax them again for
prices. It is a pity that Maplin do not do these products.