GIF pronuciation

Bruce Cox

Mar 20, 1989, 7:35:52 PM3/20/89

I was just wondering on the pronunciation of GIF. A friend of mine says
it as Jif (like the peanut butter) and I say it as G-if (with a guh sound).

Bruce Cox UUCP: a...@mace.cc.purdue.edu BITNET: cl...@purccvm.bitnet
Purdue University "Of All The Things I've Lost, It's My Mind I Miss The Most"

Kenn Barry

Mar 21, 1989, 1:22:37 AM3/21/89
In article <20...@mace.cc.purdue.edu> a...@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Bruce Cox) writes:
>I was just wondering on the pronunciation of GIF. A friend of mine says
>it as Jif (like the peanut butter) and I say it as G-if (with a guh sound).

Per the docs, your friend is right. Personally I always call it
G-I-F, even so.

Kayembee

jo...@trsvax.uucp

Mar 22, 1989, 1:23:00 PM3/22/89

>>I was just wondering on the pronunciation of GIF. A friend of mine says
>>it as Jif (like the peanut butter) and I say it as G-if (with a guh sound).
>
> Per the docs, your friend is right. Personally I always call it
>G-I-F, even so.
>
> Kayembee

They consumed an inordinate amount of time on Compu$erve discussing this
without any good answer coming out of it. Besides, if we say it is pronounced
one way or the other we'll break the names of half the programs out there :-).
The GIFFER and Giffy are two good examples...

If it matters to you, the author of the original specification said he
pronounces it Jif, but also admitted that he would pronounce it most any way
for a paycheck :-).

John Munsch