texturing "around a corner" (such as a candy cane) ?

Tim

Aug 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/31/98
i'm wondering if there is an easy and effective way to texture around
curves other than making lots of different surfaces and texture patches.

recently i was trying to texture a suguaro-type cactus and ran into some
problems. for the sake of argument, let's say the shape is a "candy
cane" because the problem is the same.

how could you effectively apply a texture of diagonal red-and-white
lines to a candy-cane shape and get the desired result? the only method
i could come up with was to start with a cylinder, apply and cylindrical
map, and then use bones to bend in into the cane shape. this method
isnt' the most desirable cuz (1) it takes a bit of setup time (2) you
don't have the same precision in determining the shape of your object
with this method and (3) i know i'm no adept and believe a more
efficient way probably exists.

any assistance appreciated,

tim

David Goerndt

Aug 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/31/98

Tim wrote in message <35EB122A...@xmission.com>...

Morph Targets, make two objects, one straight, then bend to desired shape.
Texture straight obj, morph into bent obj.

Steve Hoefer

Aug 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/31/98
Well, I don't know if it's easier, but you can also make an unbent version,
save it, bend it, save it. Use the second one as a 100% morph target for
the first one and you'll get the same results...

Ideally Lightwave needs to support UV mapping. If you got the money to
throw down on a plug-in you can get one from Cinegraphics.
http://www.cinegraphics.net/Products/uview.html
And it has some nice game-oriented things like vertex coloring, etc. But at
$700 for the whole shebang it a bit much unless you really need the
features...

steve
steven(at)balo(dot)com

Atomic Skull

Sep 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/1/98

>how could you effectively apply a texture of diagonal red-and-white
>lines to a candy-cane shape and get the desired result? the only method
>i could come up with was to start with a cylinder, apply and cylindrical
>map, and then use bones to bend in into the cane shape. this method
>isnt' the most desirable cuz (1) it takes a bit of setup time (2) you
>don't have the same precision in determining the shape of your object
>with this method and (3) i know i'm no adept and believe a more
>efficient way probably exists.
>
>any assistance appreciated,
>
>tim

Use a morph target....

--
-=Atomic Skull=-

See my 3-D anime character page, www.jps.net/cerebros

EileenRA

Sep 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/1/98
>Ideally Lightwave needs to support UV mapping. If you got the money to
>throw down on a plug-in you can get one from Cinegraphics.
>http://www.cinegraphics.net/Products/uview.html

Just think.. if LW supported UV I wouldn't be so sad that I can't afford
Cinegraphics plugin. :-(
Eileen Davidson

Steve Hoefer

Sep 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/1/98
Yeah, it's high on my wishlist...

It's a shame that I occasinally have to change the geometry of a model jsut
so I can texture it in a timely manner...

steve
steven(at)balo(dot)com
EileenRA wrote in message
<199809011906...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

3DI

Sep 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/2/98

You can do object modifications like bend, twist, shear, taper etc. directly
in layout by using the "Deform" displacement plugins (under the objects
panel). This allows you to modify an objects geometry and the objects maps
will change with it. With this you don't have to load in a morph
source/target set, depending on what needs to be done.
So in the case of doing a candy cane, its just a matter of loading a
straight tube into layout ( make sure you have enough sub-divisions to make
a smooth bend) , apply your texture map, create and place two nulls to
control the bend, then go into the displacement map plugins and select
Deform::Bend. Assign one null to be the base (where on the object the bend
will take place)
and assign the other as the "handle", which will control the amount and
direction of the bend. Move the handle null around and watch the object
bend.
You can animate by keyframing the nulls. I've done some real cool object
modifications using this feature without having to fuck with bones, I.K., or
morphing.

Arnie

Sep 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/2/98
3DI wrote:

> You can do object modifications like bend, twist, shear, taper etc. directly
> in layout by using the "Deform" displacement plugins (under the objects
> panel). This allows you to modify an objects geometry and the objects maps
> will change with it. With this you don't have to load in a morph
> source/target set, depending on what needs to be done.

Heck, you could model in the stripes, and twist the cane in the same
way, before bending it.. all in layout, no maps needed.

--
** Bulk Mailer: Mail to these leeches!

magn...@ultramail.com
cyb...@hotmail.com