Abbreviations used in font names?

gloom

Jun 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/24/99
Anybody know where I can find information about abbreviations commonly used in
font names such as MT and OsF? What do they stand for? Thanks.

--
gloom

Rodger Whitlock

Jun 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/24/99
gloom <gl...@multiweb.nl> wrote:

>Anybody know where I can find information about abbreviations commonly used in
>font names such as MT and OsF? What do they stand for?

These don't all represent the same information.

Here are a few I know. Others can add to this list -- although this may already
be covered by an FAQ somewhere:

1. Abbreviations for type foundries

MT=Monotype
CG=Compugraphic (now part of Agfa)
FC=FontClub
BQ=Berthold
BT=Bitstream
DTL=Dutch Type Library

2. Other abbreviations

OsF=old style figures
SC=small caps

--
Rodger Whitlock

RotoChicken

Jun 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/24/99
I always wondered what SSK meant also. It sounds cool.

Roto

Jeff Rankin-Lowe

Jun 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/25/99

Rodger Whitlock wrote:

Here are three more:

ICG = Image Club Graphics
LET = Letraset

Exp = Expert Set (i.e. ligatures, etc)

I've also seen SSK and SWFTE but don't know what they stand for.

Jeff

gloom

Jun 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/25/99

I've also seen "Ep" for expert sets. (Kines MM Expert)
Here's a couple more I don't know:

LP? (as in Florens LP)
URW? (Is a german font software maker, but it's webside won't reveal what URW
stands for)
EF? (example: Commercial Script EF)
MVB ? (example: Bossa Nova MVB)

I've found FF means FontFont (Fontshop)

Thanks so far,

--
gloom

GF

Jun 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/25/99
OsF: Oldstyle figures, meaning figures (numbers) that do not all have the
same height: the zero is very similar to a small letter o, and the other
figures reach above or below, just like lower-case letters do

SC: Small caps, meaning the font has small upper-case letters instead of
lower-case letters

Company abbreviations

AT: Agfatype

ATF: American type founders

BT, SWA: Bitstream

DTC: Dutch Type Collection

ITC: International Typeface Corporation

LET: Letraset

MT: Monotype

A capital "D" at the end of the name of an URW font means that they consider
it a display face, whereas "T" stands for a text face

gloom <gl...@multiweb.nl> wrote in message

> Anybody know where I can find information about abbreviations commonly
used in

> font names such as MT and OsF? What do they stand for? Thanks.
>
> --
> gloom

Andre G Isaak

Jun 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/25/99
In article <3772F61C...@multiweb.nl>, gloom <gl...@multiweb.nl> wrote:
>Jeff Rankin-Lowe wrote:
>>
>> Rodger Whitlock wrote:

>> > BQ=Berthold

BE is what I've usually seem for Berthold

>LP? (as in Florens LP)

Letterperfect?

>URW? (Is a german font software maker, but it's webside won't reveal what URW
>stands for)

Unternehmensberatung Karow Rubow Weber GmbH

>EF? (example: Commercial Script EF)

Elsner and Flake

--
Andre G Isaak agi...@linguist.umass.edu
Department of Linguistics (413) 586-8949 (Res)

Char

Jun 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/25/99
Here's a list, primarily from a Precision Type catalog dated 1994. They
are mostly the codes they put next to the font names in their catalog to
indicate the foundry; some are their own invention, others are in common
use or used by the
foundry itself.

Some of these appear in font names, some don't. I've put an asterisk
next to the ones that I have seen as part of font names.

Font Foundry Codes
AD Adobe
AG* Agfa, AgfaType
AI* Alphabets, Inc.
AA Anderson Agency
BR Bear Rock
BT* Bitstream
BS Blue Sky Research
CG* Compugraphic
CG Carolyn Gibbs
CA Cassady & Greene
CC Carter & Cone Type
DS David Siegel
DV Diehl.Volk
DN DNA
EEL Eastern European Library
ET The Electric Typographer
EF* Elsner+Flake
EM Emdash
FB The Font Bureau
FB FontBank
FC The Font Company
FF Famous Fonts
FLF* Fluent Laser Fonts from Cassady & Greene
GCL Glasnost Cyrillic Library
GG General Glyphics
HF HandCrafted Fonts
IM Image Club
ICG Image Club Graphics
II Isis Imaging
ITC*
JH Joshua Hadley
KT Kappy Type
LA Lanston Type Company
LD Lazy Dog Foundry
LET* Letraset
LS Letraset
LP Letter Perfect
LT Linotype-Hell
LL Luiz Da Lomba
MT* Monotype
NX NIMX
PS Page Studio
PL Paul Lang
PV Peter Von Zezschwitz
PY PolyType
RR Red Rooster
RS* Reasonable Solutions
RS* (I can't think of his name ...)
RT Russian Type Foundry
RP Rutherford Press
SM Steve Matteson
ST Stone Type Foundry
TF TreacyFaces
TX T-26
TD Monotype Type Designers of the World
UD U-Design Type Foundry
URW* URW
VM Vanguard Media

Thomas Ferguson

Jun 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/25/99
BE is what Adobe uses for its version of Berthold designs. BQ (Berthold
Quality) is the designation used by Berthold.

http://www.adobe.com
http://www.bertholdtypes.com/home.html

-Tom

Ky Kernal

Jun 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/25/99
A pretty good list can be found at

http://user.online.be/gd33771/suffix.html
The Kernal
There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

gloom

Jun 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/26/99

Thanks, I think you even got some that aren't listed on the page Ky pointed to.

--
gloom

gloom

Jun 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/26/99

Great! Thanks!

--
gloom

JKTACKETT

Jun 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/26/99
Just to complete your inventory,
SWFTE was used by a company
named SWIFTE which is probably
not still in business. They had
some big problems with their
kerning tables.

Keith Rhodes

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
RotoChicken wrote:

> I always wondered what SSK meant also. It sounds cool.
>
> Roto

I believe SSK means SoftKey.

I bought a CD made by SoftKey / Southern Software named
"3003 Fonts", each font name ends in SSK.

"3003 Fonts" is a bit of a misnomer, in reality, there are
about 800 fonts, each one is in TrueType and PostScript Type
1 for WinDoze / UNIX and in some other format for MacOS. And
then there are some fonts that are identical, but are saved
under two or three names... And a few are really crappy. But
still, at around US$15, it was fair value for money.

Keith

gloom

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
I'm still wondering about the ODS suffix in some Adobe type names.
Nueva Roman ODS for example. Anybody have an idea about that one?

--
gloom