RE: Pop song phone number goes up for auction [Telecom]

Neal McLain

Aug 22, 2009, 10:59:47 PM8/22/09

I wrote:

>> How is it pronounced? "702 four million"?
>> "702 ... four-oh-oh ... oh-oh-oh-oh"?

Richard responded:

> Four-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh with an emphasis on each -oh.
> It was an ad on local TV, so no area code is necessary.

Except that NPA 702 only covers Clark County. Lincoln and Ney
Counties (including Town Pahrump) are also "local" to (same DMA as)
Las Vegas, but they're in NPA 775.

Neal McLain

Richard

Aug 24, 2009, 11:44:06 AM8/24/09

Approximate populations:
Lincoln County: <4,000
Nye County: 44,375
Clark County 2,000,000

Clark County contains about 97% of their audience. No point in
wasting air time with an area code.

Neal McLain

Aug 25, 2009, 1:26:07 PM8/25/09

Richard wrote:

> Approximate populations:
> Lincoln County: 4,000
> Nye County: 44,375
> Clark County 2,000,000
>
> Clark County contains about 97% of their audience. No point in
> wasting air time with an area code.

Acknowledged. Still, I'm surprised that the station's management didn't
insist on including the entire DMA's audience. In the broadcast
business, advertising rates are based on TV homes in the entire DMA, not
just homes in the county of license.

Neal McLain

Robert Bonomi

Aug 27, 2009, 1:55:35 PM8/27/09
In article <4A93C8AC...@annsgarden.com>,

The station management "DOESN'T CARE" _what_ the content of the ad is. Well,
as long as it won't get them _legal_ trouble for airing it, that is. If you
want to buy air time to advertise something that's only available in a 6 block
radius, that's just _fine_ with the station. You _will_ pay the same rate as
someone who's advertising something with national availability -- but that's
*your* (the advertiser, that is) choice.

The Kaminsky Family

Aug 28, 2009, 11:15:09 AM8/28/09

Think about it from the audience perspective. Folks outside NPA 702
fully understand that any number they get from a Las Vegas station
without an NPA refers to 702, and anyone who advertises a number in
775 (or 800 or whatever) on a Las Vegas station will clearly state the
correct NPA.

It is no different here in Silicon Valley - if you see an ad in a San
Jose newspaper, they do not have to say NPA 408 (although most folks
do state the NPA - as the paper is delivered into at least NPA 650,
and probably 510 and 831 as well). Ditto for a San Francisco paper -
NPA 415 is understood.

Things may be different in places far from an NPA boundary, especially
where the local NPA has not changed from its original value, but that
is not the case in Lincoln and Nye Counties.

Mark

Neal McLain

Aug 29, 2009, 9:12:17 AM8/29/09
Robert "The Punctuator" wrote:

> Neal McLain <nmc...@annsgarden.com> wrote:

>> Acknowledged. Still, I'm surprised that the station's management
>> didn't insist on including the entire DMA's audience. In the
>> broadcast business, advertising rates are based on TV homes in the
>> entire DMA, not just homes in the county of license.

> The station management "DOESN'T CARE" _what_ the content of the ad
> is. Well, as long as it won't get them _legal_ trouble for airing it,
> that is. If you want to buy air time to advertise something that's
> only available in a 6 block radius, that's just _fine_ with the
> station. You _will_ pay the same rate as someone who's advertising
> something with national availability -- but that's

I guess it depends on the individual station's management. In my
experience, most stations do indeed care.

But I agree that some don't. Pat Townson once posted a story about a
Chicago radio station that continued to give its call-in number with
only seven digits even after 312 had been split into five area codes.

Neal McLain

Neal McLain

Aug 29, 2009, 4:33:40 PM8/29/09

Kaminsky Family <kami...@kaminsky.org> wrote:

> Think about it from the audience perspective. Folks outside NPA
> 702 fully understand that any number they get from a Las Vegas
> station without an NPA refers to 702, and anyone who advertises
> a number in 775 (or 800 or whatever) on a Las Vegas station
> will clearly state the correct NPA.

I agree, but that wasn't my point. My point was (and is) that many/
most TV station managements (or at least their ad sales departments)
DO care, notwithstanding what [Mister] Bonomi says.

> It is no different here in Silicon Valley - if you see an ad in
> a San Jose newspaper, they do not have to say NPA 408 (although
> most folks do state the NPA - as the paper is delivered into at
> least NPA 650, and probably 510 and 831 as well). Ditto for a
> San Francisco paper - NPA 415 is understood.

I've never worked in the newspaper industry, so I'm not familiar with
their concerns. I suspect that most display ads, and classifieds
received online, are printed as received without editing. As for
classifieds taken by phone, I guess it's up to the individual ad-
takers.

What really baffles me are 7D phone numbers on delivery vehicles.

Neal McLain

Robert Bonomi

Aug 29, 2009, 4:35:01 PM8/29/09
In article <4A98ABDF...@annsgarden.com>,

Neal McLain <nmc...@annsgarden.com> wrote:
>Robert "The Punctuator" wrote:
>
> > Neal McLain <nmc...@annsgarden.com> wrote:
>
> >> Acknowledged. Still, I'm surprised that the station's management
> >> didn't insist on including the entire DMA's audience. In the
> >> broadcast business, advertising rates are based on TV homes in the
> >> entire DMA, not just homes in the county of license.
>
> > The station management "DOESN'T CARE" _what_ the content of the ad
> > is. Well, as long as it won't get them _legal_ trouble for airing it,
> > that is. If you want to buy air time to advertise something that's
> > only available in a 6 block radius, that's just _fine_ with the
> > station. You _will_ pay the same rate as someone who's advertising
> > something with national availability -- but that's
>
>I guess it depends on the individual station's management. In my
>experience, most stations do indeed care.

_VERY_FEW_ stations

>But I agree that some don't. Pat Townson once posted a story about a
>Chicago radio station that continued to give its call-in number with
>only seven digits even after 312 had been split into five area codes.

For historical accuracy, 312 has been split _twice_. Both times the split
introduced _one_ additional area-code.

The original split, 1989 retained 312 for the City of Chicago proper, and put
all the suburban areas into 708. In 1996, 708 was split (3 ways), adding 630
and 847. In 1997, 312 was split for the second time (2 ways), retaining 312
for the city center, and adding 773 for the outlying 'ring', still within the
city limits. In 2002, 224 was added as an overlay for 847. In 2007, 331 was
added as an overlay for 630. And, in November of this year, 872 will be added
as an overlay over _both_ 312 and 773. Area-code 464 is being held in reserve
to overlay 708, when needed.

Neal McLain

Aug 29, 2009, 7:58:26 PM8/29/09
> Kaminsky Family <kamin...@kaminsky.org> wrote:
> > Think about it from the audience perspective. Folks outside NPA
> > 702 fully understand that any number they get from a Las Vegas
> > station without an NPA refers to 702, and anyone who advertises
> > a number in 775 (or 800 or whatever) on a Las Vegas station
> > will clearly state the correct NPA.
>
> I agree, but that wasn't my point. �My point was (and is) that many/
> most TV station managements (or at least their ad sales departments)
> DO care, notwithstanding what [Mister] Bonomi says.
>
> > It is no different here in Silicon Valley - if you see an ad in
> > a San Jose newspaper, they do not have to say NPA 408 (although
> > most folks do state the NPA - as the paper is delivered into at
> > least NPA 650, and probably 510 and 831 as well). Ditto for a
> > San Francisco paper - NPA 415 is understood.
>
> I've never worked in the newspaper industry, so I'm not familiar with
> their concerns. �I suspect that most display ads, and classifieds
> received online, are printed as received without editing. �As for
> classifieds taken by phone, I guess it's up to the individual ad-
> takers.
>
> What really baffles me are 7D phone numbers on delivery vehicles.
>
> Neal McLain

Furthermore, I suspect there are a lot of Chronicle readers who don't
understand what the unstated area code should be. If they see a
seven- digit number, they just dial it without thinking. Those of us
who subscribe to T-D know enough about the telephone system to insert
the proper area code. But the population as a whole includes lots of
young, elderly, and just plain busy people who aren't as attuned to
such things as we are.

Remember the story about President Carter's "Call the President" at
900-242-1611. Folks all over the country with 242-1611 numbers
started getting calls for Carter.

Neal McLain

wdag

Aug 29, 2009, 7:58:26 PM8/29/09
"Neal McLain" <nmc...@annsgarden.com> wrote in message

> What really baffles me are 7D phone numbers on delivery vehicles.

1) Vehicle is only driven in region with one area code for landline
and cell phones.

2) In regions with multiple area codes (like NYC), vehicle's owner has
the same number in all such codes.

3) Vehicle's owner only cares about business from one area code,
and_doesn't care_ if "outsiders" are (mis)lead to call the wrong
number.

The Las Vegas ads cited sound like case (3) to me. Wonder if there's
any rules being violated for (implicitly) soliciting "wrong number"
calls by this practice...

Neal McLain

Aug 29, 2009, 7:58:25 PM8/29/09
On Aug 29, 3:35�pm, bon...@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:
> In article <4A98ABDF.4050...@annsgarden.com>,

> Neal McLain �<nmcl...@annsgarden.com> wrote:
>
>> Robert "The Punctuator" wrote:

So if a Chicago TV station broadcasts a seven-digit phone number, how
would the average viewer know which of those seven area codes to stick
in front of it? Or are you saying that Chicago TV stations are among
the "_VERY_FEW_" that care about such things?

Neal McLain

har...@hallikainen.com

Aug 30, 2009, 2:21:32 PM8/30/09
In the 1970s, I worked for a radio station in Santa Maria, CA, at the
very north end of Santa Barbara county. You cross the Santa Maria
river and you're in San Luis Obispo county. Santa Maria had GTE with a
step switch. San Luis Obispo county had Pacific Telephone with a
variety of switches, but all used 7 digit or area code plus 7 dgit
dialing. The switch in Santa Maria, though, would absorb the first two
of the seven digits, so most people just dialed five digits. Most
radio ads gave the 5 digit phone number which half the listening area
(but a much smaller portion of the population) could not dial. I
always thought that was strange at the time.

Harold