ANSI SQL

p...@york.cs.ucla.edu

Oct 11, 1989, 4:19:33 PM10/11/89
Hello,
I will appreciate it if any one can give me a direction
to find the ANSI SQL Document. I think it could be
Document ANSI X3.135-1986. New York, 1986.

Thanks

Charles Po
INTERNET: p...@york.cs.ucla.edu
p...@cs.ucla.edu
(213) 825-7307

Merrill Holt

Oct 12, 1989, 3:11:50 PM10/12/89
In article <27...@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> p...@CS.UCLA.EDU (Cherng-Fong Po (Charles)) writes:
> I will appreciate it if any one can give me a direction
> to find the ANSI SQL Document. I think it could be
> Document ANSI X3.135-1986. New York, 1986.

The document is ANSI X3.135-1986 or ISO 9075:1987, however you may wish
to get the 1989 version which has already been published by ISO (ISO
9075:1989) and will be published shortly by ANSI as replacements for
the earlier standards. The ANSI and ISO documents are identical (ISO
9075:1987 == ANSI X3.135-1986 and ISO 9075:1989 == ANSI X3.135-1989).

The 89 standard has a new facility called the Integrity Enhancement
Feature (referential integrity, defaults and check). The 86 standard
is a subset of the 89 standard. This subset, which is conformance
levels 1 and 2, is the same. All of these standards are known
informally as SQL 1 as compared to future drafts which are referred to
as SQL 2 and 3.

SQL 1 SQL 86 ANSI X3.135-1986 ISO 9075:1987
level 1 DML & DDL
level 2 DML & DDL

SQL 89 ANSI X3.135-1989 ISO 9075:1989
level 1 DML & DDL
level 2 DML & DDL
IEF - new for 89

SQL 2 * Future revisions of SQL
SQL 3 *

You may also be interested in ANSI X3.168-1989 which makes the embedded
languages a standard. The X3.135 included the embedded languages as
annexes which were not officially part of the standard.

One convenient but not the cheapest source (they accept phone orders
charged to credit cards and will ship by overnight) is:

Global Engineering
2805 McGaw Ave
Irvine, CA 92714
800 854-7179

I have no connection with GE except as a customer.
I am a member of the X3H2 SQL and X3H2.1 RDA committees.

Hope this helps

Michael Vernick

Oct 13, 1989, 5:54:27 PM10/13/89
Can somebody point me in the right direction to obtain
the ANSI SQL standard description.