Replicator and AWS

nikosv

Apr 12, 2014, 4:11:05 PM4/12/14
Is there a guide (aside the manual...) or any pointers detailing what's needed for setting up the Ingres replication facility ?
It's needed for one way mirroring of a local database to another database (preferably Ingres) which would be set up on Amazon-AWS

Larry West

Apr 13, 2014, 8:37:50 PM4/13/14
to Ingres and related product discussion forum
,

Sent from my iPad

> On Apr 12, 2014, at 1:11 PM, nikosv <nikos.v...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Is there a guide (aside the manual...) or any pointers detailing what's needed for setting up the Ingres replication facility ?
> It's needed for one way mirroring of a local database to another database (preferably Ingres) which would be set up on Amazon-AWS

Ingres Forums

Apr 14, 2014, 5:09:12 PM4/14/14

Your best bet IS the manual.
Try docs.actian.com and look for the Replicator user guide.
This direct link might work for you too.
http://docs.actian.com/?aspectfilter=Version_Ingres|Ingres%2010S#b75629t75690n/s-1/s3601/s3620/s3620b57252

--
daryl...@ingres.com
daryl...@ingres.com's Profile: http://community.actian.com/forum/member.php?userid=736

nikosv

Apr 23, 2014, 4:14:03 AM4/23/14
Hi Daryl, thanks for replying. Another aspect is how to set up replication for working with SSL, in like how to encrypt communication between the two nodes (linux/local<---->AWS) ? Or put simply, how can a session be encrypted when connecting to a Vnode (set up through netutil) ?

thanks

Alex Hanshaw

Apr 23, 2014, 4:39:21 AM4/23/14
to Ingres and related product discussion forum
Ingres 10.2 will provide encrypted communications over Ingres Net. The lead platform a64.lnx is currently in QA.

Alex

--
Alex Hanshaw
Director, Engineering

nikosv

Apr 23, 2014, 6:44:36 AM4/23/14
Is there a workaround till then ? something that can be used for older versions as well?

Ingres Forums

Apr 23, 2014, 7:05:36 AM4/23/14

nikosv;48607 Wrote:
> Is there a workaround till then ? something that can be used for older
> versions as well?
When possible I greatly prefer to do disk-level replication. When it is
possible it offers many advantages, of which one is secure transmission.
The product I use is 'DoubleTake'
(http://www.visionsolutions.com/Products/DT-Avail.aspx) but there are
others.

Disk-level replication works well for maintaining a cold standby system
or when you can afford to shut the destination Ingres installation down
briefly for a refresh, such as an office-hours reporting system say.
It does not work well when you want to replicate to a different version
or even a different product, or you require continuous availability.

Disk-level replication can also take care of your non-database assets
too, like configuration files, data files, applications and reports, and
so on.

--
rhann
rhann's Profile: http://community.actian.com/forum/member.php?userid=131

nikosv

Apr 23, 2014, 8:46:52 AM4/23/14
sounds interesting,worht trying out. and what about a workaround for encrypting the session to a Vnode until ingres 10.2 arrives ? How can current clients use SSL?

Ingres Forums

Apr 23, 2014, 10:43:48 AM4/23/14

> what about a workaround for encrypting the
> session to a Vnode until ingres 10.2 arrives ?
> How can current clients use SSL?

You could try stunnel. There's a useful page on the wiki about setting
it up.
GJ

'Encrypted IngresNet With Stunnel - Ingres Community Wiki'
(http://community.actian.com/wiki/Encrypted_IngresNet_With_Stunnel)

--
geraintjones
geraintjones's Profile: http://community.actian.com/forum/member.php?userid=57763