[Info-Ingres] Qld Ingres User Group July 2014 Meeting Invitation - Actian Vortex - Vector hadoop edition - THIS AFTERNOON

Paul White

Jul 29, 2014, 7:55:55 PM7/29/14
to openroa...@googlegroups.com, Ingres and related product discussion forum

From: HOWELL John
Sent: Wednesday, 30 July 2014 9:52 AM
Subject: REMINDER: Qld Ingres User Group July 2014 Meeting Invitation - Actian Vortex - Vector hadoop edition - THIS AFTERNOON

Qld Ingres User Group

      July 2014 Meeting

All Welcome

Date :              Wednesday 30 July 2014

Time :             4:00pm for a 4:10 pm start

Venue :          Fraser Island Conference Room,

 Level 3, 400 George Street, Brisbane City

Agenda :       4:10 pm          Welcome from QIUG President, John Howell

                                                Lucky Door Prize

4:15 pm          Actian Vortex – Sidney Glenn, Actian Corporation.

Sidney will be letting us know more about Actian’s new Vortex product, also known as Vector Hadoop edition. This product allows SQL queries to be run on Hadoop clusters by embedding the Vector (previously known as Vectorwise) database engine in hadoop nodes and has many other significant advantages in dealing with big data.

The CEO of Actian says "By tightly embedding our record-breaking SQL engine within every node of Hadoop, our platform transforms how customers will use Hadoop and delivers a solution that is years ahead of the competition." According to the company's benchmarking, Actian SQL in Hadoop is up to thirty times faster than Impala, its closest competitor.

See http://www.actian.com/products/analytics-platform/hadoop/

and http://wwwcdn.actian.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/PB02-ActianAnalyticsPlatform-HadoopSQL.pdf

5:00 pm          Questions

5:10 pm          Networking, Nibbles and Refreshments complements of Actian Corporation.

No need to RSVP at this stage, just turn up!

Call for Presenters and Topics

Member presentations underpin the success of any user group.  The QIUG would love to hear about your experiences with Ingres or any related product/topic.  We also welcome 10 minute "What do I do" and "Tips and Tricks" presentations where you tell us about your environment or any hints or techniques or what you have done in the past.  If you would like to present, or even suggest a topic, contact us on the QIUG email.

Useful Links

Actian website  - http://www.actian.com/

Pervasive Software - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pervasive_Software

Paraccel, Inc. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraccel

Versant - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versant

The Actian Community Wiki is a great source of information and links about  Actian and the Ingres RDBMS :

Actian Community Wiki – http://community.actian.com/wiki/Welcome_to_the_Ingres_Community

Upcoming Ingres Webinars  - http://www.actian.com/about/events

UK Ingres User Association  -  http://www.iua.org.uk/

Ingres User Forum  -  http://community.actian.com/forum

Ingres News Group  -  http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.ingres/topics

Williams Ingres Database Reference (as always) -  http://ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au/~yuan/Ingres/ingres.html

Andy

Jul 31, 2014, 3:35:10 AM7/31/14
to info-...@kettleriverconsulting.com
Hi All,

Not sure which version of Ingres I should be using - Ingres 10 or Ingres 10S, just putting together a new server running Ubuntu 12.04

Intel i7 4th Gen ??, 16Gb Ram, 1Tb 7200 hd.

Do not plan to use any Geo-spatial mumbo jumbo - excuse my ignorance - I am busy and I live in a hole...

Tried both on this machine and both seem to run slow - creating databases, importing data, etc. Did not install Replicator/Star/Tuxedo

Ingres 10S seems to freak out at big queries - errors in QSF

Ingres 10 seems to freak out when compiling some of the esqlsc files -
ingres/lib/libq.1.so: undefined reference to `IIG4chkobj'
ingres/lib/libq.1.so: undefined reference to `IIG4fdFillDscr'
ingres/lib/libq.1.so: undefined reference to `IIG4icInitCall'
ingres/lib/libq.1.so: undefined reference to `IIG4vpValParam'
ingres/lib/libq.1.so: undefined reference to `IIG4bpByrefParam'
ingres/lib/libq.1.so: undefined reference to `IIG4drDelRow'
ingres/lib/libq.1.so: undefined reference to `IIG4irInsRow'
ingres/lib/libq.1.so: undefined reference to `IIG4seSendEvent'
ingres/lib/libq.1.so: undefined reference to `IIG4udUseDscr'
ingres/lib/libq.1.so: undefined reference to `IIG4ccCallComp'
ingres/lib/libq.1.so: undefined reference to `IIG4gaGetAttr'
ingres/lib/libq.1.so: undefined reference to `IIG4saSetAttr'
ingres/lib/libq.1.so: undefined reference to `IIG4s4Set4GL'
ingres/lib/libq.1.so: undefined reference to `IIG4acArrayClear'
ingres/lib/libq.1.so: undefined reference to `IIG4grGetRow'
ingres/lib/libq.1.so: undefined reference to `IIG4rrRemRow'
ingres/lib/libq.1.so: undefined reference to `IIG4srSetRow'
ingres/lib/libq.1.so: undefined reference to `IIG4ggGetGlobal'
ingres/lib/libq.1.so: undefined reference to `IIG4sgSetGlobal'
ingres/lib/libq.1.so: undefined reference to `IIG4i4Inq4GL'
ingres/lib/libq.1.so: undefined reference to `IIG4rvRetVal'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Sorry for the brief info, in a hurry and someone out there might know exactly what I am talking about...

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
Andy.

Ingres Forums

Jul 31, 2014, 11:45:32 AM7/31/14

I'd go with 10s, it will be current for longer. Neither are actually
supported on Ubuntu but that shouldn't stop it from working.

What QSF errors are you getting? You might have to up the qsf_memory.

BTW you seem to have attached this to another thread which isn't the
best way to get it noticed.

Jeremy

--
jruffer
jruffer's Profile: http://community.actian.com/forum/member.php?userid=504

Ingres Forums

Jul 31, 2014, 12:23:11 PM7/31/14

The 64 bit edition of Ingres 10S for Linux is supported on Ubuntu 12.04
LTS, although it was added after the readme was published. See
http://downloads.actian.com/media/PDFs/Product_Avail_Matrix_Ingres.pdf

-Chris

--
rogch01
rogch01's Profile: http://community.actian.com/forum/member.php?userid=4380

Karl Schendel

Jul 31, 2014, 1:27:42 PM7/31/14
to Ingres and related product discussion forum

On Jul 31, 2014, at 12:35 AM, Andy <prgc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Not sure which version of Ingres I should be using - Ingres 10 or Ingres 10S

10S has more bug fixes and would be the preferred version.

> Tried both on this machine and both seem to run slow - creating databases, importing data, etc. Did not install Replicator/Star/Tuxedo

Do you have write barriers turned on? createdb in particular can be really slow on an
ext4 or xfs filesystem with write barriers enabled.

> Ingres 10S seems to freak out at big queries - errors in QSF

I don't know of any bugs in that area, maybe raise qsf memory.

> Ingres 10 seems to freak out when compiling some of the esqlsc files -
> ingres/lib/libq.1.so: undefined reference to `IIG4chkobj'
> ingres/lib/libq.1.so: undefined reference to `IIG4fdFillDscr'
> ingres/lib/libq.1.so: undefined reference to `IIG4icInitCall'

Hmm, I fixed this one myself in 2012, bug 126913. Are you building Ingres
yourself or using the Actian distribution? Did you apply patches and/or the
service pack?

Karl

Sidney

Jul 31, 2014, 4:22:18 AM7/31/14
to Ingres and related product discussion forum, info-...@kettleriverconsulting.com
Andy

Ingres 10S is the way to go as it is really 10.1 and use/not use geospatial doesn't really matter...and yes I live in a hole as well even twitter and facebook can't get through :-)

qsf errors normally means you need to tweak your memory pools....opf, psf and qsf memory ie. make them larger

As for the undefined reference errors....this is a bug, which is fixed , so strongly suggest you load the latest patch and if it still fails then raise an issue with support

By the way I use ubuntu and mint....awesome OS

have fun

Cheers

Sidney

Sidney...@actian.com | Principal Support Engineer | 1800 614 435 | Location: Brisbane [GMT +10]

[...]