ESQL/C, building 32bit- programs on a 64bit linux and 64bit-ingres-installation

Alex Koppold

Mar 27, 2015, 8:13:13 AM3/27/15

We want to upgrade our development-, production- and database- servers
step-by-step from 32bit linux to 64bit linux systems (both centos).

In this environment we only use the database through our own ESQL/C- and
ESQL/CPP- programs and through the vnodes that were created on every system
with ingres-netutil.

There will be a mix of 32bit- and 64-bit machines in our environemt for
some time, and we will have to build 32bit-programs on the new
64bit-machine. We are currently using Ingres 9.2 from the 32bit-Installer
on the database- and production-servers. When we install Ingres 9.2 from
the 64bit-Installer on the new development-machine, and build/link our
programs there with the gcc -m32- flag, will they work on the 32bit-
production servers and with the old database-server?

I.e. is there a flag for the ESQL/C-prepocessor we have to set or are there
other things we have to consider?

Ingres Forums

Mar 30, 2015, 9:23:55 AM3/30/15

There are no "bitness" considerations between a client and server. It
all should just work. In fact Ingres/NET is perfectly happy not only
talking between 32 and 64 bit systems, but between little and big Endian
too!

--
daryl...@ingres.com
daryl...@ingres.com's Profile: http://community.actian.com/forum/member.php?userid=736