License for commercial project

mike...@yahoo.com

Jan 4, 2015, 3:41:43 PM1/4/15
Hi
I want to start a new commercial Web site and am looking instead of going with Mysql to go with Ingres. So just a couple of questions if you please :

1.what is the license scheme? can I use Ingres community for such a project or am I required to get a license? If yes,what is the cost?

2.Any good guides on how to install the server side and any info dedicated to how to use Ingres for the web?

thanks

twent...@b-mint.net

Jan 4, 2015, 4:40:21 PM1/4/15
I'm pretty sure you'll need a commercial license.

Have you thought about Postgres? IMHO Postgres is the best "free" DBMS
available at the moment.

Ingres Forums

Jan 4, 2015, 7:33:06 PM1/4/15

I'm fairly sure that you can use the community version of Ingres for
such a project. I believe that it's licensed via the GPLv2; if you
don't intend to redistribute Ingres, or any software containing Ingres,
you can do what you like. If you redistribute it you have to obey the
terms of the GPL.

I haven't read the license that comes with the community version for a
while, so you'd be wise to do that yourself just to make sure.

For a commercial, money-making enterprise I think you'd be foolish to
run a database without official support, but that's entirely up to you.

--
kschendel
kschendel's Profile: http://community.actian.com/forum/member.php?userid=29

Roy Hann

Jan 4, 2015, 7:42:29 PM1/4/15
twent...@b-mint.net wrote:

> On 04/01/2015 20:41, mike...@yahoo.com wrote:
>> Hi
>> I want to start a new commercial Web site and am looking instead of going with Mysql to go with Ingres. So just a couple of questions if you please :
>>
>> 1.what is the license scheme? can I use Ingres community for such a project or am I required to get a license? If yes,what is the cost?
>>
>> 2.Any good guides on how to install the server side and any info dedicated to how to use Ingres for the web?
>>
>> thanks
>>
> I'm pretty sure you'll need a commercial license.

I'm pretty sure he won't. I'd be delighted if he did; he could buy a
commercial license from me, but happily (for him) he can use the
community version for anything he wants.

> Have you thought about Postgres? IMHO Postgres is the best "free" DBMS
> available at the moment.

Well IMHO Ingres is, so where does that leave us? :-)

Roy

mike...@yahoo.com

Jan 5, 2015, 3:43:48 AM1/5/15
> I'm pretty sure he won't. I'd be delighted if he did; he could buy a
> commercial license from me, but happily (for him) he can use the
> community version for anything he wants.

so what does a commercial license offer? is it only for getting support ?

Roy Hann

Jan 5, 2015, 4:14:20 AM1/5/15
Yes, you get full, round-the-clock support, sure.

You also are freed of the restrictions of the GPL so you aren't obliged
to make your source code available to your customers.

You get pre-built executables for pretty well any platform you could
want, that have been through extensive QA and are warranted and will be
fixed as a matter of urgency if required.

There are also various legal comforts to being in a contractual
relationship with a supplier, so for example if someone decides that
Ingres improperly infringes their intellectual property rights
then Actian would have to defend the case, not you.

There are additional components available for the commercial version
also.

Roy

mike...@yahoo.com

Jan 5, 2015, 4:26:20 AM1/5/15

> You also are freed of the restrictions of the GPL so you aren't obliged
> to make your source code available to your customers.

by costumers do you mean the people I make the site for, or any visitor of the web page?
my source would be making calls to Ingres.This means that my source should be GPLed as well?

Roy Hann

Jan 5, 2015, 5:38:41 AM1/5/15
No, the GPL rule that you have to disclose your source applies only to
software products you distribute.

In the case of a web site powered by Ingres (and any other GPL'd
software) there is no such obligation.

Roy

Roy Hann

Jan 5, 2015, 5:45:35 AM1/5/15
Reading your question a bit more carefully I see you distinguish
visitors to the web site and the owners of the web site.

What your contract with the owners asks is between you and them.

Roy

Ingres Forums

Jan 5, 2015, 7:16:08 AM1/5/15
The GPL only concerns itself with software *distribution*. If you don't
give your website software, or any coherent part of it, to anyone else,
you aren't restricted. Invoking execution of the software, as in a
website visit, is not considered distribution.

mike...@yahoo.com

Jan 5, 2015, 1:18:33 PM1/5/15

> No, the GPL rule that you have to disclose your source applies only to
> software products you distribute.
>
> In the case of a web site powered by Ingres (and any other GPL'd
> software) there is no such obligation.
>
> Roy

thank you for your crystal clear answers. On a side note, I had heard of package called Ingres Ice or something that makes web deployment easy?
what is the state of that?

Roy Hann

Jan 5, 2015, 2:04:40 PM1/5/15
mike...@yahoo.com wrote:

> I had heard of package called Ingres Ice or something that makes
> web deployment easy? what is the state of that?

It is long ago discontinued.

Roy

mike...@yahoo.com

Jan 5, 2015, 2:07:35 PM1/5/15