How to automate monitoring Ingres for errors

Ingres Forums

Sep 19, 2014, 8:17:32 AM9/19/14

I'd like to build a C# application to hopefully query some kind of
Ingres system table for DBMS system errors vs parsing errlog.log. Is
there any query I can use to do this?

Also, would like to do similar thing for the iivdb.log, checking it via
queries for errors...

Let me know your thoughts.

--
kyle....@resolvecorporation.com
kyle....@resolvecorporation.com's Profile: http://community.actian.com/forum/member.php?userid=1969

Ingres Forums

Sep 19, 2014, 8:40:20 AM9/19/14

There are log files that are exposed as tables using some kind of
gateway, for example the security logs, which you can query using the
*iiaudit* "table" in *iidbdb*, so I suppose something similar could be
done for the error log.

However that's not been done so either you'd have to do it (there's a
code sprint coming up the weekend of October 4/5th in London), or you'd
have to battle it out with all the other cool ideas that want scarce
development resources! :)

You mention C# so I assume yours is a Windows site. Does the Ingres
Visual Manager (IVM) not show what you need? e.g. the Logged Events tab
and the Events Statistics tab?

--
rhann
rhann's Profile: http://community.actian.com/forum/member.php?userid=131

Terry White

Sep 19, 2014, 9:14:31 AM9/19/14
On 19/09/2014 13:17, Ingres Forums wrote:

> I'd like to build a C# application to hopefully query some kind of
> Ingres system table for DBMS system errors vs parsing errlog.log. Is
> there any query I can use to do this?
>
> Also, would like to do similar thing for the iivdb.log, checking it via
> queries for errors...
>
> Let me know your thoughts.

But if the Ingres DBMS has a serious error it probably won't respond to
your process trying to look in the table. Looking at the errlog.log is
better really (and more lightweight).

What we do is have a "test" transaction that we execute every minute or
so that tests access to various live databases and important tables. If
that fails / times out etc. it fires a script that captures logs / ps
listings / dumps etc. that we can the analyse later. The test
transaction is actually a ASP.NET webpage that we call periodically via
NAGIOS (also has the benefit of testing the website is up too), Nagios
raises an alert if the whole thing fails / timesout.

nikosv

Sep 26, 2014, 2:01:19 AM9/26/14
Is it possible for Ingres to fire a db event when an exceptional condition occurs and propagate that error to the monitoring application?
Of course that assumes that the dbms is capable of firing the event even in a critical failure?

Roy Hann

Sep 26, 2014, 4:43:21 AM9/26/14
nikosv wrote:

> Is it possible for Ingres to fire a db event when an exceptional
> condition occurs and propagate that error to the monitoring
> application?

You might be able to install an event handler in the application to
raises an event, though I won't promise it. That would at best only
report errors that are reported back to the application though.

There is no mechanism for defining a rule to catch errors in the server
which would be necessary to execute a DBP to raise an event.

Roy

Ingres Forums

Sep 26, 2014, 5:53:02 AM9/26/14

What about using exception handling? That could be used to run a script
when a particular error occurs (assuming that's what's meant by "an
exceptional condition").

A search for "Ingres tracing utilities" should find a presentation
describing the setup.

I should point out that it's only really intended for use when tracing
server problems in consultation with Actian support, but may be worth
experimenting with in a test system.

--
geraintjones
geraintjones's Profile: http://community.actian.com/forum/member.php?userid=57763