[Info-Ingres] Ingres II Licensing Issue

Lucky Leavell

Jan 2, 2012, 10:29:18 AM1/2/12
to Lucky Leavell
I posted a message back in October, 2007 and the responses indicated I
needed to periodically run the CA licensing program to [re]create the
/ca_lic directory which should be good for 30 days. I set up a cron job to
execute on the 1st and 16th of every month.

The problem is that this license is now expiring more frequently to the
extent that a daily run doesn't always work.

Here are the entries in the errlog.log file:

E_CL2654_CI_CANT_OPEN Computer Associates Licensing -2H30- Can't open
license file. Please run the appropriate license program to properly
license your product. LRF=2H30,000c294f1d96,SCO_PentIII_1_*,[hostname
omitted]

This was a fully paid license when installed and yearly maintenance paid
until CA spun Ingres off, hence the licensing kludge. I should also point
out that we had to move the entire Ingres insallation to a new server in
2007 which triggered the problem to begin with.

Any suggestions as to what is happening and what can be done about it?

Thank you,
Lucky Leavell

Ingres Forums

Jan 2, 2012, 3:27:32 PM1/2/12

Paul White

Jan 2, 2012, 4:15:37 PM1/2/12
to Ingres and related product discussion forum
Hi Lucky,

A few years ago, Ingres Corp issued a bunch of of licenses with an expiry
date of 2035 so you don't have to keep re-licencing. You copy these into
ca.olf in the ca_lic directory. Actian Support should be able to locate this
for you.

regards
Paul

Lucky Leavell

Jan 2, 2012, 9:07:24 PM1/2/12
to Ingres Forums

On Mon, 2 Jan 2012, Ingres Forums wrote:

> Maybe helpful:
> http://downloads.actian.com/media/PDFs/Ingres_Products_Licensing.pdf

Thank you very much (and also to Paul White). This looks very promising!

Lucky Leavell

> Regards
> Gerhard
>

> --
> gerhard...@planat.de
> gerhard...@planat.de's Profile: http://community.actian.com/forum/member.php?userid=857
> View this thread: http://community.actian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14138

Ingres Forums

Jan 3, 2012, 11:02:50 AM1/3/12

That message is annoying but not fatal in 2.6 and after.

--
daryl...@ingres.com
daryl...@ingres.com's Profile: http://community.actian.com/forum/member.php?userid=736

Lucky Leavell

Jan 3, 2012, 8:22:51 PM1/3/12

On Mon, 2 Jan 2012, Lucky Leavell wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Jan 2012, Ingres Forums wrote:
>

>> Maybe helpful:
>> http://downloads.actian.com/media/PDFs/Ingres_Products_Licensing.pdf
>>

> Thank you very much (and also to Paul White). This looks very promising!

I downloaded and followed the instructions in the Ingres Licensing PDF and
it worked flawlwssly! Thank you VERY much!

Lucky Leavell

> Lucky Leavell
>
>> Regards
>> Gerhard
>>

>> --
>> gerhard...@planat.de
>> gerhard...@planat.de's Profile: http://community.actian.com/forum/member.php?userid=857
>> View this thread: http://community.actian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14138

Lucky Leavell

Jan 30, 2012, 8:52:06 PM1/30/12

On Tue, 3 Jan 2012, Lucky Leavell wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Jan 2012, Lucky Leavell wrote:
>

>> On Mon, 2 Jan 2012, Ingres Forums wrote:
>>

>>> Maybe helpful:
>>> http://downloads.actian.com/media/PDFs/Ingres_Products_Licensing.pdf
>>>

>> Thank you very much (and also to Paul White). This looks very promising!
>>

> I downloaded and followed the instructions in the Ingres Licensing PDF and
> it worked flawlwssly! Thank you VERY much!
>
> Lucky Leavell
>
>> Lucky Leavell
>>
>>> Regards
>>> Gerhard
>>>

>>> --
>>> gerhard...@planat.de

It's back:

E_CL2654_CI_CANT_OPEN Computer Associates Licensing -2H30- Can't open
license file. Please run the appropriate lic
ense program to properly license your product.
LRF=2H30,000c294f1d96,SCO_PentIII_1_*,gasboy.stl.local,0

Here is the ca.olf file:
cat ca.olf
FEATURE CA_LICENSE CAI_lic_d 1.000 31-DEC-2035 0 ACC490A19E5FB2E074D1 "ANY 2H30[1]" ANY INGRES
3CF4A071F60BC8441972 INGRES #

They began sometime January 3 after I checked and logged off.

Here is the version.dat and version.rel

cat version.dat
## action performed status patch seq version
##
install 23-Jan-2002 19:50:52 valid 6900 1 II 2.0/0001
(sos.us5/00)
##
## File format information (DO NOT REMOVE):
## _filetype_b_filetype_
## _protocol_1_protocol_
##

cat version.rel
II 2.0/0001 (sos.us5/00)
6900

Despite the numerous log messages, it ran and restarted several times
until today. I used the old license reset trick to get them up again:

E_CL2659_CI_TERMINATE Computer Associates Licensing -2H30- License
Failure. Terminating... Please run the appropri
ate license program to properly license your product.
LRF=2H30,000c294f1d96,SCO_PentIII_1_*,gasboy.stl.local,0

I have an identical system, same OS and Ingres version to which I applied
the same license but I have no log entries about licensing. Of course mine
is lightly loaded and not up all the time.

I know what I did today will not last long. Is there anything else I can
try? Any idea why my system has had no noise log entries about licensing
or anything and they have?

Thank you,
Lucky Leavell

Paul White

Jan 31, 2012, 1:08:38 AM1/31/12
to Ingres and related product discussion forum
Hi Lucky,

I think the license check occurs each time an Ingres Net (or OpenROAD)
connection is made. Make sure you check $II_SYSTEM/ingres/files/errlog.log
and /ca_lic/lic98.log after a connection is made. Make sure the log files
are writeable by Ingres UserID.

I presume you restarted Ingres after applying the license changes?

Your /ca_lic/ca.olf file looks like it is missing bits at the top?
I would expect to see lines beginning with

ID_2 ABC1234 "Site Name"
ID_3 DEF123456 "SiteID"
SERVER CAI 7152
DAEMON CAI_LIC_D/USR/BIN
FEATURE xxx
FEATURE xxx
FEATURE xxx

Under Windows, the licensing was performed by a license service
logwatnt.exe. Under Solaris I found there was no service needed. I don't
know for sure whether the licensing under SCO requires a service. Check the
installation documentation.

You might consider opening a support call with Actian so you can get the
problem resolved? It will cost you :-)
Your client is probably getting a bit frustrated this old technology.

regards

Paul White

On Tue, 3 Jan 2012, Lucky Leavell wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Jan 2012, Lucky Leavell wrote:
>

>> On Mon, 2 Jan 2012, Ingres Forums wrote:
>>

>>> Maybe helpful:
>>> http://downloads.actian.com/media/PDFs/Ingres_Products_Licensing.pdf
>>>

>> Thank you very much (and also to Paul White). This looks very promising!
>>

> I downloaded and followed the instructions in the Ingres Licensing PDF and
> it worked flawlwssly! Thank you VERY much!
>
> Lucky Leavell
>
>> Lucky Leavell
>>
>>> Regards
>>> Gerhard
>>>

>>> --
>>> gerhard...@planat.de

It's back:

E_CL2654_CI_CANT_OPEN Computer Associates Licensing -2H30- Can't open
license file. Please run the appropriate lic
ense program to properly license your product.
ate license program to properly license your product.
LRF=2H30,000c294f1d96,SCO_PentIII_1_*,gasboy.stl.local,0

I have an identical system, same OS and Ingres version to which I applied
the same license but I have no log entries about licensing. Of course mine
is lightly loaded and not up all the time.

I know what I did today will not last long. Is there anything else I can
try? Any idea why my system has had no noise log entries about licensing
or anything and they have?

Thank you,
Lucky Leavell

Paul White

Jan 31, 2012, 8:43:46 PM1/31/12
to Ingres and related product discussion forum
sodrel0 ::[ , 00000001]: Tue Jan 31 20:13:34 2012
E_CLFE06_BS_WRITE_ERR Write to peer process failed; it may have exited.

Is probably the client application exiting without closing down the
dbsession.

Paul

Lucky Leavell

Jan 31, 2012, 8:33:29 PM1/31/12

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012, Paul White wrote:

> Hi Lucky,
>
> I think the license check occurs each time an Ingres Net (or OpenROAD)
> connection is made. Make sure you check $II_SYSTEM/ingres/files/errlog.log
> and /ca_lic/lic98.log after a connection is made. Make sure the log files
> are writeable by Ingres UserID.

This may have been it!. I made user ingres owner of /ca_lic and everything
in it except the CAMtype file, stopped and started ingres (after putting
the ca.olf file back). There are no licensing errors in either the
errlog.log or ca98.log files.

I found no licensing daemon anywhere on the system so I left those lines
out of the ca.olf. The only lines in the errlog.log that were of some
concern was the third line here:

sodrel0 ::[ , 00000000]: Tue Jan 31 20:13:09 2012
E_GC0152_GCN_SHUTDOWN Name Server normal shutdown.
sodrel0 ::[ , 00000000]: Tue Jan 31 20:13:16 2012
E_GC0151_GCN_STARTUP Name Server normal startup.
sodrel0 ::[ , 00000001]: Tue Jan 31 20:13:34 2012
E_CLFE06_BS_WRITE_ERR Write to peer process failed
; it may have exited.

I have seen it before but do not know its significance.

> I presume you restarted Ingres after applying the license
changes? >

yes

> Your /ca_lic/ca.olf file looks like it is missing bits at the top?

See above. I think the problem was ingres could not write to the ca98.log
file though the messages indicated it could not read the licensing file.

We'll see ...

> I would expect to see lines beginning with
>
> ID_2 ABC1234 "Site Name"
> ID_3 DEF123456 "SiteID"
> SERVER CAI 7152
> DAEMON CAI_LIC_D/USR/BIN
> FEATURE xxx
> FEATURE xxx
> FEATURE xxx
>
> Under Windows, the licensing was performed by a license service
> logwatnt.exe. Under Solaris I found there was no service needed. I don't
> know for sure whether the licensing under SCO requires a service. Check the
> installation documentation.
>
> You might consider opening a support call with Actian so you can get the
> problem resolved? It will cost you :-)
> Your client is probably getting a bit frustrated this old technology.
>

> regards
>
> Paul White

Here's the problem. I wrote their software originally 21 years ago and
they they have told me several times they want to move to another system
but they never do. My consulting business has long ago declined to the
point I have a "day" job. I have used other RDBMSes and still think Ingres
is the best with the possible exception of PostgreSQL. (I don't work with
Oracle as a DBA but prepping Linux systems for Oracle installs and
think it horrid!)

I think it must be a tribute to Ingres that it has run all these years
with only this licensing glitch and not even that until their old hardware
died.

My own Ingres copy started out as SCO Open Desktop until I availed myself
of CAI's offer to convert to a full Ingres license independent of SCO.

Thank you for your help,
Lucky Leavell

Ingres List

Jun 28, 2014, 8:58:02 PM6/28/14
to Ingres and related product discussion forum
I have been running without issues for the past 2-1/2 years using the
ca.olf file referenced in this thread below on both my SCO OpenServer
5.0.7 system and a client SCO system.

Today I moved the Ingres installation to a new server including the entire
/ca_lic directory with the same ca.olf file:

FEATURE CA_LICENSE CAI_lic_d 1.000 31-DEC-2035 0 ACC490A19E5FB2E074D1 "ANY 2H30[1]" ANY INGRES
3CF4A071F60BC8441972 INGRES #

Ingres starts fine on the old SCO system just fine but the new one fails
immediately after ingstart:

Ingres/ingstart

The Ingres license is invalid.

with no entries in the errlog.log (or any other that I can tell).

I have compared the two ca.olf files; they are identical.

I have carefully checked the owner, group and permissions of both the
/ca_lic directory and its contents to no avail:

drwxr-xr-x 2 ingres sys 512 Jun 28 19:49 /ca_lic
total 730
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ingres sys 125 Jan 31 2012 ca.olf
-r-sr-xr-x 1 root group 216144 Sep 9 1998 CAmtype
-rw-rw-rw- 1 ingres group 28 Jan 31 2012 lic98.dat
-rw-r--r-- 1 ingres group 4651 Aug 31 1998 lic98.err
-rw-rw-rw- 1 ingres group 6913 Jan 31 2012 lic98.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 ingres group 68752 Sep 9 1998 lic98.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 ingres group 68752 Sep 9 1998 lic98.so.old

Is there anything else I may have overlooked here?

Thank you,
Lucky Leavell
>> E_CL2654_CI_CANT_OPEN Computer Associates Licensing -2H30- Can't open
>> license file. Please run the appropriate lic
>> ense program to properly license your product.
>> ate license program to properly license your product.

Paul White

Jun 28, 2014, 9:53:21 PM6/28/14
to Ingres and related product discussion forum
Hi Lucky,

I'm pleased to hear you are upgrading from old technology. What is the new
operating system? How about taking the opportunity to migrate to a newer
version of Ingres also? Newer versions of Ingres are not limited by
licensing mechanism.

It seems your new installation is not writing to lic98.log or lic98.err.
Look across the entire machine for another lic98.log
cd / ; find . name lic98.log -print

Perhaps SEL is enabled? Look in system logs sub directories for clues. eg
/var/adm/.. or /var/log/..

Check $II_SYSTEM\ingres\files\errlog.log

You said "Today I moved". What steps did you follow. Best practise
migration would involve a clean install which ensures Ingres components are
correctly installed in the right locations. Then manually configure the
installation and unload/reload the databases across ingres.net.

Are you able to start just the name server?
ingstart -iigcn

Paul White

&
Shift Seven Solutions
www.shift7solutions.com.au

Karl Schendel

Jun 28, 2014, 11:55:48 PM6/28/14

On Jun 28, 2014, at 8:58 PM, Ingres List <ingr...@unixpress.com> wrote:

> Ingres starts fine on the old SCO system just fine but the new one fails
> immediately after ingstart:
>
> Ingres/ingstart
>
> The Ingres license is invalid.

Is the ingres user ID number the same on the new system as it was on
the old?

Is this Ingres II version 2.0?

Karl

Ingres List

Jun 29, 2014, 7:23:48 AM6/29/14
to Ingres and related product discussion forum
How would I verify this? The Ingres installation was literally moved from
the old SCO OSR5.0.7 server to the new one by tarring the Ingres
directories on the old and untarring on the new. If the ingres user id was
part of those, it should have been moved, I think.

To answer Paul White's questions:

1. Both systems are SCO OSr5.0.7 (I had no input on this part.)
(My day job is an enterprise Linux admin and SCO is getting
VERY long in the tooth, so to speak. This is my last SCO system I support,
the others having converted to Linux.)

2. A fresh install was not possible as the installation media is
no longer available.

3. I found copies of lic98* files under the Ingres install
directory and in my home directory from previous bouts with CA licensing.

4. Permissions on the files currently in /ca_lic aare looser (666)
or the same (644) as those in the ingres install directory.

5. There were no log entries in file/errlog.log or any other
Ingres logs including lic98.log

6. Of course, I can move the data by exporting/importing it if
that would be advisable although it doesn't seem to be getting that far.

Thank you,
Lucky Leavell

> Karl

Karl Schendel

Jun 29, 2014, 9:20:29 AM6/29/14
to Ingres and related product discussion forum
> On Sat, 28 Jun 2014, Karl Schendel wrote:
>
>> Is the ingres user ID number the same on the new system as it was on
>> the old?
>>

> How would I verify this?

I meant the ingres user definition in /etc/passwd, is it the same
on the new system as the old?

Laframboise, André

Jun 29, 2014, 3:56:31 PM6/29/14
to paul....@shift7solutions.com.au, Ingres and related product discussion forum
There's also the config.dat file that needs to be updated with the new host name, if it's not the same as the original.

to Ingres and related product discussion forum
Yes, I kept the same UID/GID on both.

Ingres version: IngresII 2.0/0001 (sos.us5/00) with Patch 6900

Thank you,
Lucky Leavell

Ingres List

Jul 3, 2014, 8:36:14 PM7/3/14
to Ingres and related product discussion forum, paul....@shift7solutions.com.au

On Sun, 29 Jun 2014, Laframboise, André wrote:

> There's also the config.dat file that needs to be updated with the new host name, if it's not the same as the original.

No, same invalid license error.

I looked as the host name in config.dat using cbf and it is identical to
the old system but was/is not the same as the hostname on either system. I
tried changing the hostname on the new system to match the old one. Same
error.

The same is true on my OSR5.0.7, the Ingres hostname is ris while the OS
hostname is uxosr507.unixpress.com yet ingres is quite happy with the same
license. (This is the "universal" CA license I installed in 2012 which has
worked just fine until now.)

Finally, I opened up the permissions on both the /ca_lic directory and its
files. No change.

I have not been able to find any log entries on the licensing
issue in either the ingres logs or OS logs

I did an ingprenv on both boxes and the only difference I found was that
II_GCNII_PORT is set to 1055 on the old ole and is null on the new one.
Could that have anything to do with it?

Thank you,
Lucky Leavell

> Paul White
>
> &
> Shift Seven Solutions
> www.shift7solutions.com.au

Ingres List

Jul 5, 2014, 8:48:59 PM7/5/14
to Ingres and related product discussion forum
I have absolutely NO idea why this worked ... but it did:

1. Went through the OS procedure to change the hostname to exactly match
the host in the config.dat. I also made the rest of the FQDN all lower
case (no comment on Windows admins!)

2. I tried ingstart again and it still failed due to invalid license

3. As root, executed the old resetlicense script which recreates the
/ca_lic directory and its contents

4. Brought up the database as ingres using ingstart and verified
functionality

5. Shutdown ingres using ingstart

6. Moved the same ca.olf universal license file back into ca_lic and
changed ownership to ingres, perms to 664, matching the old system

7. Brought up ingres as user ingres and ... it worked!

It wrote to the /ca_lic/lic98.log when up under the temp license but only
wrote to the lic98.dat file with the ca.olf license. No mention of the new
license in errlog.log on either old or new system.

I have some other mystery problems I may post as a new thread.

Also my client has agreed to begin the process to move to c current
version of Ingres running on Linux, so perhaps all was not in vain.
I will probably start using my SLES 11Sp3 VM as the test system.

Thanks to all for your help!

Thank you,
Lucky Leavell

Paul White

Jul 6, 2014, 1:39:41 AM7/6/14
to Ingres and related product discussion forum
Lucky - well done!