FW: This Week at VOTE: FIP voting rights lawsuits, John Legend video, the private prisons decision, and more!

Dianne Tramutola-Lawson

Aug 26, 2016, 7:12:53 PM8/26/16
to colora...@googlegroups.com

From: Norris Henderson [mailto:Nor...@vote-nola.org]
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2016 3:16 PM
Subject: This Week at VOTE: FIP voting rights lawsuits, John Legend video, the private prisons decision, and more!

Email not displaying correctly? Click here to view online.

​​​

Weekly Newsletter

August 26, 2016

VOTE Logo

2022 St. Bernard Ave.

New Orleans, LA 70116

T: 504-758-9420

E: in...@vote-nola.org

vote-nola.org

Restoring voting rights across the country, state by state

The right to vote is fundamental to being American. Not having the right to be heard in the political process on any election, especially on issues that directly impact those who have experience with the criminal justice system, is simply wrong.

On July 1, 2016, VOTE filed a class action lawsuit on behalf of people on probation and parole who do not have the right to vote until they completed their period of supervision. Lawsuits can create positive or negative change. They can also fuel other actions.

This year, Governor McAuliffe of Virginia is using his clemency power to restore over 200,000 ex-felons’ right to vote. “My faith remains strong in all of our citizens to choose their leaders, and I am prepared to back up that faith with my executive pen,” McAuliffe said. “The struggle for civil rights has always been a long and difficult one, but the fight goes on.”

Also this year, an Iowa voting rights lawsuit came to an unfortunate end. Now in that state, this hallmark of citizenship is reserved only for those who have never been convicted of a felony. In a nation with 100 million convicted people, such a ruling is a gaping hole in the fabric of democracy.

VOTE’s lawsuit is in the early stages, with a first hearing scheduled for the end of October.

John Legend and #FREEAMERICA feature VOTE Executive Director in video to end mass incarceration

Norris Henderson leads VOTE not only as the organization's founder, but as a formerly incarcerated individual who believes that the people closest to a problem are the ones closest to the solution. Norris has been closely involved with John Legend's #FREEAMERICA movement and their campaign to end mass incarceration.

This week, rapper Common shared a brief video on his Facebook page that features Norris. "I prayed that if I ever got out, I would never forget the folks I left behind," Norris says in the video. Common referred to him as "helping lead the fight to have incarcerated citizens’ voices heard."

This video is just one part of a series of short films entitled Unlock Our Potential, showcasing the personal and touching stories of individuals across America who have been affected by mass incarceration. Vibe's article on the campaign also mentions Norris' story. The videos are posted on #FREEAMERICA's Facebook page.

From our community

Louisiana Appleseed is offering assistance to flood victims with clear title and inherited property challenges. Read their information pamphlet here.

The Louisiana chapter of Citizens United for Rehabilitation of Errants (Louisiana CURE) has released its newsletter for the 2016 Spring/Summer Legislative Session. Click here to read the newsletter.

The Formerly Incarcerated and Convicted People & Families Movement is hosting a two-day conference on mass incarceration in Oakland this September. Click here to join VOTE at the conference.

JustLeadershipUSA invites applications for Leading with Conviction, a 12-month training for FIPs around advocacy, activism, and community organizing. Click here for more details and to apply by September 16th.

Updates from OPPRC: Bail Ordinance Hearing RESCHEDULED! Strategic Plan in final stages

OPPRC's Municipal Bail Ordinance HAS BEEN RESCHEDULED to September 19th at 10:00 AM in City Council Chambers at 1300 Perdido Street. Your support and turnout is needed at this hearing! A press conference and rally with speaker panel are scheduled for 9:00 AM, immediately before the hearing, outside of the Chambers. The proposed ordinance will eliminate bond and pre-trial detention for most city offenses. If you are interested in canvassing or phone banking, please email ad...@vote-nola.org.

On Thursday, Sheriff Marlin Gusman announced his pick for the Court-Appointed Independent Compliance Director who will take over operational control of the Orleans Parish prison facility. Gary D. Maynard comes from Maryland and "intends to begin work immediately," according to an article in The Advocate yesterday. Under the terms of the Compliance Director Agreement, the Compliance Director is required to hold quarterly public meetings to discuss the progress of the jail. OPPRC remains firmly committed to meaningful community oversight over the jail.

The OPPRC strategic plan is nearing completion! Stay tuned for the final unveiling and roll-out next month.

In case you missed it, the VERA Institute released a report recently, providing research-based evidence against the need for jail expansion. OPPRC remains firm in its opposition to expanding New Orleans' jail facility.

OPPRC will hold the next monthly meeting on Monday, September 19th at Hope House at 6:30 PM. Anyone interested in reforming Orleans Parish Prison into a smaller, more humane jail is welcome! Meetings are held on the 3rd Monday of each month.

The federal decision on private prisons

The federal Bureau of Prisons recently released a decision to let contracts with private prisons expire. It has spawned a somewhat new conversation around incarceration, which many of us have been living, breathing, and discussing for decades. Here are VOTE’s thoughts.

Three questions to ask regarding any prison reform

First, it is important to consider whether new reform will reduce the number of people in cages, if it will only “move the furniture around” or, worse, will end up increasing the number of people in prison. For example, when the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that California’s prisons were so overcrowded that incarceration was “cruel and unusual punishment,” California relocated their prisoners instead of releasing some. The new facilities were a combination of taxpayer-owned, and rented from private corporations. This is “moving around the furniture.

Read more...

VOTE is a member-driven, grassroots, non-profit organization run by formerly incarcerated persons (FIPs) and allies. Our mission is to build the political and economic power of the people most impacted by the criminal justice system. We work to create a space and a voice for impacted individuals and communities. Our work is done by the people, for the people, and made possible by everyone — you can be a part of vital, positive criminal justice reform.

Make a contribution today, because uplifting FIP communities uplifts all communities.

VOTE | 2022 St. Bernard Ave. New Orleans, LA 70116

VOTE is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. Our mission is to transform the city of New Orleans' criminal justice system by mobilizing a strong group of leaders, including formerly incarcerated persons. If you wish to be removed from this email list, please click here. If you want to stop receiving all emails from VOTE, please click here.