FW: Solitary Watch News | Feb 2017

Dianne Tramutola-Lawson

Feb 16, 2017, 11:27:29 AM2/16/17
to colora...@googlegroups.com

From: Solitary Watch News [mailto:ne...@solitarywatch.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2017 8:18 AM
Subject: Solitary Watch News | Feb 2017

The latest update from Solitary Watch

View this email in your browser

Image removed by sender.

Torture in America

With the issue of torture making headlines once again, Jean Casella and James Ridgeway remind us that you can't bring something back if it never went away. As the nonstop coverage of our new federal government continues, it's easy to forget that when it comes to the torture of solitary confinement, individual states continue to be the primary policy-makers. We revisit the issue of torture, its definition, and the need to keep the issue alive amidst the daily dose of Trump news.

Lifelines in the Spotlight

Solitary Watch's Lifelines to Solitary is featured as a "Curated Cause" by nonprofit crowdfunder Razoo.

Lifelines: Letters is our 'pen pal' program, connecting people in solitary confinement with a writing partner on the outside – and now anyone can join!

Our Lifelines to Solitary program is donor-sponsored and only exists thanks to reader support. Amidst the heightened demands on everyone’s attention and goodwill, we are having a tough time meeting our fundraising goals—but thousands of people in solitary depend on us for contact with the outside world. Please help us keep this incredibly hard-working program going by donating today.

The Nevada Report

Just published, a first-in-kind report on the state of solitary confinement in Nevada.

The new report, produced by the ACLU of Nevada, Nevada Disability Advocacy & Law Center, and Solitary Watch, is the first to document the scope and impact of solitary confinement in Nevada. Unlocking Solitary Confinement: Ending Extreme Isolation in Nevada State Prisons reveals the number of people held in solitary in the state’s eight state prisons, details the conditions experienced by men and women held in isolation, and provides recommendations for sweeping reform.

Now Streaming

Solitary: Inside Red Onion State Prison on HBO
Kristi Jacobson's documentary provides -rare film access to the realities of isolation within Virginia's Virginia’s infamous supermax prison. Solitary Watch helped Kristi get started when she first took on this issue, and SW’s Jean Casella wrote the Viewing Guide for the film.

6x9 | VR
For another immersive taste of solitary confinement, experience The Guardian’s award-winning virtual reality experience 6x9, for which we served as Consulting Producers.

Two Minutes on Solitary

A new Now This video features Solitary Watch's James Ridgeway and seven years of correspondence with people in solitary confinement.

And in case you missed them, our work uncovering the buried voices of people in solitary confinement has been featured in the New Yorker, WNYC’s The Takeaway, and Al Jazeera’s Listening Post.

Solitary Watch As Source

In addition to doing our own reporting, we are an ongoing source for journalists across the country.

Canada Tackles "Systemic Overuse" of Solitary Confinement

Who Lives In Solitary Confinement?

Mecklenburg jailers hold some teens in solitary confinement. Critics call that torture

Utah Prison Joins Initiative To Curb Solitary Confinement

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender.

Copyright © 2017 Solitary Watch, All rights reserved.
The Solitary Watch Insider – Updates, events, and more ways than ever to stay connected. Feel free to (un)subscribe/manage your preferences below – we will never spam you. Ever. [ SW ]

Our mailing address is:

Solitary Watch

123 7th Ave #166

Brooklyn, NY 11215

Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list

Image removed by sender.

image001.jpg
image002.jpg
image003.jpg