FW: Dead “of a broken heart”

Dianne Tramutola-Lawson

Oct 18, 2016, 10:43:29 AM10/18/16
to colora...@googlegroups.com

From: The Marshall Project [mailto:info=themarshall...@mail215.suw16.rsgsv.net] On Behalf Of The Marshall Project
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 5:27 AM
Subject: Dead “of a broken heart”

Image removed by sender.

Opening Statement
October 18, 2016

Edited by Andrew Cohen

Image removed by sender.Image removed by sender.Image removed by sender.

Opening Statement is our pick of the day’s criminal justice news. Not a subscriber? Sign up. For original reporting from The Marshall Project, visit our website.

Pick of the News

Image removed by sender.

“I miss my son. I miss him so much.” The Marshall Project interviewed Venida Browder last March as part of its upcoming video series about criminal justice titled: “We are Witnesses.” She died Friday, “of a broken heart” as the New York Daily News put it, never able to get over the suicide of her beloved son, Kalief, whose own untimely death drew worldwide attention to the frightening conditions in the jails of Rikers Island. Here is Venida Browder, in her own words. The Marshall Project TMP Context, from February: What Venida Browder thinks should happen at Rikers. The Marshall Project

Image removed by sender.

It’s not just pot and the death penalty. Criminal justice issues are on the ballot all over the country, and not just dealing with high-profile topics. California voters will be asked to weigh in on the possibilities of shortening sentences for nonviolent felonies. Bail reform goes before the voters of New Mexico. Citizens in three Western states have the opportunity to enshrine more victims’ rights into their state constitutions and Oklahoma voters are contemplating softening penalties for certain drug crimes. TMP’s Beth Schwartzapfel has your primer. The Marshall Project

Image removed by sender.

Could Donald Trump have gone to prison for the groping he described on that tape? Different states have different legal standards for the sort of unwanted sexual touching the presidential candidate discussed in California in 2005. He’d be in trouble there, for sure, based on the state’s “touching” law. But other states don’t even criminalize such sexual advances unless they involve a child. TMP’s Maurice Chammah surveyed the law. The Marshall Project

“This dark side of our shared history.” The president of the International Association of Chiefs of Police, the nation’s largest police organization, issued a formal apology Monday to the nation’s minority citizens “for the actions of the past and the role that our profession has played in society’s historical mistreatment of communities of color.” Terrence Cunningham, of Massachusetts, urged his fellow police chiefs at their annual convention to “change the future” of policing to “break this cycle of mistrust” within communities of color. The Washington Post

The drug industry’s answer to opioid addiction: more drugs. The pharmaceutical industry’s response to gateway prescription drugs that are fueling the nation’s heroin crisis is to produce and market more drugs aimed at treating secondary effects of painkillers on what is called the “opioid use disorder population.” There were 112 million opioid prescriptions in 1992. There were nearly 249 million in 2015. The Washington Post Related: There’s a big difference in the heroin response policies of the candidates. Vox

N/S/E/W

At a hospital in Baltimore, Maryland, doctors and nurses calculate the “bullet hole math” when victims of gun violence show up, night after night, needing care. The Baltimore Sun

Two high-ranking Louisiana prison officials stole money from a fund that was supposed to be used for inmate recreation services, a state audit concluded. The Advocate

No, James “Whitey” Bulger won’t help a Massachusetts man who claims he was wrongfully convicted of a long-ago murder, even though he probably could. The Boston Globe

How Tammie Hagen, an ex-offender in Virginia, is diligently trying to help register other ex-offenders to vote. The Washington Post

The three-card-monte con game hasn’t gone away. If you look hard enough you can find it, especially in New York. The New York Times

Commentary

“Your people are caught in difficult and dangerous riptides.” FBI Director James Comey poetically defended the work of police officers in a speech Sunday. FBI Related: Defending cops, seeking more data. The Washington Post

Garbage in, garbage out. There is no point in collecting data on police shootings if police officials aren’t going to report accurate information. Los Angeles Times

The commuter’s dilemma. That prisoner who rejected the commutation President Obama gave him? His decision makes more sense than you think. Simple Justice

Why it’s the first amendment. The arrests of journalists and filmmakers covering climate change protests in North Dakota are a threat to democracy. The Nation

How to fix solitary confinement in America. Start with from-the-bottom-up solutions and increase transparency. By Keramet Reiter. Los Angeles Times

Etc.

Field Trip of the Day: A hospital executive in Brooklyn wants to show children what gun violence can do — so he arranges for school field trips to the morgue. The Trace

Advertisement of the Day: In which a Las Vegas gun store is pitching a “Pre-Hillary” sale on weapons. ThinkProgress

Review of the Day: “Southwest of Salem,” a new documentary about the San Antonio Four, tells a broader story about discrimination against lesbians. Slate

Mistake of the Day: The IRS wanted some good publicity so it decided to share one of Al Capone’s guns with a museum in Las Vegas. Turns out it was the wrong gun. Cue the “Gang that Couldn’t Shoot Straight” jokes. The Wall Street Journal

Video of the Day: In which a Michigan judge scolds a defendant, then takes off his robe and tackles the man in his courtroom. The Washington Post

Want less email? Update your preferences.

This email was sent to dia...@coloradocure.org
The Marshall Project · 156 West 56th Street · Suite 701 · New York, NY 10019 · USA

Image removed by sender.

~WRD255.jpg
image001.jpg