FW: A mother claims sanctuary

Dianne Tramutola-Lawson

Feb 16, 2017, 9:09:19 AM2/16/17
to colora...@googlegroups.com

From: The Marshall Project [mailto:info=themarshall...@mail192.atl101.mcdlv.net] On Behalf Of The Marshall Project
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2017 5:44 AM
Subject: A mother claims sanctuary

Image removed by sender.

Opening Statement
February 16, 2017

Edited by Andrew Cohen

Image removed by sender.Image removed by sender.Image removed by sender.

We want to hear from you, so we can serve you better. Help us by taking our reader survey.

Pick of the News

“My intuition tells me that if I go in, I’m not coming out.” Jeanette Vizguerra, an immigrant mother of three American children, is taking refuge in a church in Colorado rather than report as ordered for another meeting with federal immigration officials. She was ordered deported under the Obama administration after a conviction for using false ID, but was granted repeated postponements. She’s given her kids instructions about what to do if and when the feds come. The New York Times Related: Feds defend arrest of first “dreamer;” say he’s a gang member. DHS More: Now ICE is detaining victims of domestic abuse, evidently on tips from their alleged abusers. El Paso Times The New York Times

Image removed by sender.

Is prison the answer to violence? The victims’ rights movement in America is decades old and has usually been linked to calls for longer sentences for criminal defendants. But not all victims find satisfaction in seeing their assailants imprisoned. The restorative justice movement offers alternative routes to safety and accountability. Danielle Sered makes that case in a new report published by the Vera Institute for Justice. TMP’s editor-in-chief Bill Keller talked recently with Sered. The Marshall Project

"If you can't manage your own financial affairs, how can we expect that you're going to be a responsible steward of a dangerous, lethal firearm." The Senate Wednesday voted largely along party lines to block an Obama administration rule that would have required background checks on gun purchases for approximately 75,000 people with mental disorders. The rule, which the House of Representatives earlier voted to void, was tied to those identified in Social Security records as being mentally impaired and needing third-party help to manage their benefits. Politico

New Jersey passes a law to combat opioid abuse. It had broad bipartisan support and the blessing of Gov. Chris Christie, who proclaimed last month that fighting the epidemic would be the prime focus of his remaining time in office. The new measure sets a five-day limit for initial prescriptions for painkillers and requires health insurance companies to promptly accept addicts into treatment. Who was against the popular legislation? Doctors, and pharmacists, who want the freedom to continue prescribing pills that often end up in the hands of addicts. NJ.com Related: The new law is part of a national trend. Vox

Can’t stand the heat. A federal judge in Texas has ordered officials to stand trial in a civil case over deadly heat in the state’s prisons. The judge, who visited the prison last summer, said corrections officials knew that inmates were suffering unbearably (and in at least 20 cases fatally) but refused to help. State attorneys say the inmates were treated no worse than prison workers, who also have suffered from heat-related illnesses on the job. The state plans to appeal the ruling. Houston Chronicle Related: “An entirely preventable consequence of inadequate policies," writes the judge. Houston Press TMP Context: It’s not just the heat that kills prisoners. The Marshall Project

N/S/E/W

Police in San Diego, California, have found a way around a state law designed to protect juveniles from having their DNA collected without a warrant. Now there’s a lawsuit challenging the practice. Voice of San Diego

A drug smuggler was murdered in Florida in 1983 and the police never solved the crime. Decades later, the daughter of the victim blames police misconduct. The Huffington Post

Watch this video from inside a jail in Ohio that shows white jail officials pepper-spraying a black man restrained in a chair. The Washington Post

Indiana lawmakers are pondering two gun-related domestic violence bills. One would make it harder for abusers to get a weapon. One would make it easier for a victim to bear arms. The Indianapolis Star

A Missouri appeals court overturns a trial judge and rules that state corrections officials can keep secret basic information about executions. KCUR

Commentary

James Comey is looking worse and worse. For his aggressive posture on Clinton emails and his supine take on Trump’s Russian ties. The Washington Post

Meanwhile, things are as dire as ever for asylum seekers in Texas. A new report details how ICE and Border Patrol officers are ignoring their agencies’ own policies. The Texas Observer

Why the Etan Patz case resonates four decades on. Especially if you are a parent just hoping your child makes it through life’s perils. National Review

It’s about time. The governor of Illinois wisely plans more state trooper patrols on Chicago’s expressways to help stem the tide of gun violence there. Chicago Sun-Times

Terrorism for me, not for thee. His son, a police officer, was killed in the line of duty by right-wing extremists. He’s not happy about President Trump’s lack of focus on domestic terrorism. The Trace

Etc.

Wish List of the Day: Chicago mayor Rahm Emanuel presented Attorney General Jeff Sessions with a list of ways in which he thinks the feds can help ease gun violence in the Windy City. Spoiler alert: It’s not just a request for more federal officers. Chicago Sun-Times

Statistic of the Day: Hispanics are the fastest-growing major racial or ethnic group in local police departments in America, a new survey reveals. Pew Research Center

Health News of the Day: Did you know you can get lead poisoning (and mental deterioration) from bullets left in your body? The Atlantic

Overcriminalization of the Day: A 13-year-old girl sends an 18-year-old boy five inappropriate photographs. Now the recipient faces a lifetime on a sex registry. Reason

Video of the Day: “Alone,” a film by Garrett Bradley, explores the unrequited romance between a Louisiana prisoner and the woman he loves. The New York Times

Want less email? Update your preferences.

This email was sent to dia...@coloradocure.org
The Marshall Project · 156 West 56th Street · Suite 701 · New York, NY 10019 · USA

Image removed by sender.

~WRD017.jpg
image001.jpg