The Marshall Project: Trump budget cuts cops and crime victims

stephe...@comcast.net

Jan 20, 2017, 6:54:32 PM1/20/17
to Colorado-CURE

From: "The Marshall Project" <in...@themarshallproject.org>
To: stephe...@comcast.net
Sent: Friday, January 20, 2017 5:35:19 AM
Subject: Trump budget cuts cops and crime victims

Opening Statement
January 20, 2017
Edited by Andrew Cohen
Opening Statement is our pick of the day’s criminal justice news. Not a subscriber? Sign up. For original reporting from The Marshall Project, visit our website.

Pick of the News

Are Donald Trump’s early budget cuts really going to target cops and victims? Trump officials are said to be planning to dramatically cut the Justice Department budget as part of an overall push to reduce federal spending. Among the targets are grants that help female victims of domestic violence and those that help hire and equip cops. Here’s a TMP guide to what’s on the block. The Marshall Project Related: Thank the Heritage Foundation for the blueprint. The Hill Related: More on the coming end of the Civil Rights Division as we’ve known it. The New York Times

The conservative case for justice reform in the age of Trump. The new president can glean a great deal about what works and what doesn’t simply by looking out the window in midtown Manhattan. New York City, with low rates of both crime and incarceration, can serve as a national example for how to ensure public safety while providing offenders with a reasonable chance of success after prison. Here from Marc Levin is the final installment of our Inauguration-week series. The Marshall Project More: You can read Parts I and II here and here.

Commutations, one last round. President Obama Thursday granted relief to 330 more federal drug prisoners in what officials said was his final major act in office. It was the most acts of clemency offered in any single day by any president and brought to 1,715 the number of inmates whose sentences were shortened or eliminated. For tens of thousands of others who sought relief, however, the end of the Obama administration almost certainly means the end of any broad clemency push. The Washington Post Related: We did our best, says DOJ official as clemency initiative winds down. Justice Department More: Make Obama and your country proud with your second chance, officials tell clemency beneficiaries. White House

Welcome to Donald Trump’s America, El Chapo. His real name is Joaquin Guzman Loera and he was flown to New York Thursday night to stand trial on federal drug trafficking charges as the world’s most notorious drug kingpin. He faces six indictments here in the States. USA Today Mexican officials made clear their intent to make the move Thursday as a gift to the Obama administration on its last day and not as a gesture to the incoming president, Donald Trump, who has sparred for years with Mexican officials on a variety of topics. The Washington Post More: The hunt for El Chapo. The New Yorker

How drug court saved me and my baby. Abby Frutchey was so addicted to drugs as a young woman in Maine that even the birth of her son didn’t curb her use. It took an arrest, and an innovative drug treatment program, to do that. Now recovered, and married, and living drug free, she says the key to her success was understanding through the hard work of recovery that her status in life didn’t have to be that of “offender.” In collaboration with Vice, here is the latest in our “Life Inside” series. The Marshall Project

N/S/E/W

A Texas appeals court Thursday overturned the murder conviction of Jerry Hartfield, a man who spent 13,000 days in prison without a valid sentence against him. The New York Times Related: Read the opinion. Thirteenth District of Texas Context: A forgotten man. The Atlantic

David Clarke, the frequent television commentator and sheriff of Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, allegedly had a man detained for shaking his head at him on a plane. Mediate

The Florida Supreme Court Thursday overturned three more non-unanimous death sentences, including one for a man who killed a police officer. That defendant’s jury voted 9-3 in favor of capital punishment. Tampa Bay Times

Ricky Gray’s execution in Virginia Wednesday night, using the controversial drug midazolam, took more than 30 minutes. His lawyers want to know why. The Washington Post

You think you have it tough? Try being a Muslim chaplain in the New York Police Department when you keep getting stopped by airport security. NPR

Commentary

Want to reform policing in your city? Vote. Or run for office. Or push for a civilian review panel. The Crime Report

The Chicago police have to answer for Jose Nieves. A recent police shooting shows how easy it is for bad cops to remain on the force, in a position to kill civilians. Slate

The “legal netherworld” of Traffic Cam tickets. Your local government probably is employing a trick to generate revenue — a “civil violation of a criminal prohibition” — which allows it to go after you without any meaningful due process. Techdirt

Massachusetts’ justices should have done more for the Dookhan defendants. Instead, the potential victims of tainted drug lab evidence will remain largely at the mercy of prosecutors. The Open File TMP Context: One family’s story. The Marshall Project

This is the Obama pardon you should be angry about. What was Obama thinking when he ordered the release of Oscar Lopez Rivera, who fought so violently for Puerto Rican independence? The Washington Post Related: After Studio 54, and the felony tax evasion that followed it, came a pardon for a man who long ago put his life together. The New York Times

Etc.

Decision of the Day: A federal appeals court Thursday upheld the conviction of coal magnate Donald Blankenship for his role in the Upper Big Branch mine disaster. 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals

Temporary Holdovers of the Day: Sitting U.S. Attorneys around the country can stick around a while longer pending the transition, say Trump officials. The Huffington Post

Video of the Day: Which shows police in Fontana, California, shooting and killing a legally blind and mentally ill man they had said was advancing on them with a knife. He wasn’t. Los Angeles Times

Dispiriting Question of the Day: Will our policing debate get even uglier than it already is? NPR

Report of the Day: Chronicles the extent to which the right to counsel is ignored in South Carolina’s municipal and magistrate courts. National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys

Want less email? Update your preferences.

This email was sent to stephe...@comcast.net
The Marshall Project · 156 West 56th Street · Suite 701 · New York, NY 10019 · USA