Webservice error after CF 8.01 update

1 view

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Nov 24, 2010, 2:57:29 PM11/24/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

Hello,

We recently updated to CF 8.01. Now we're getting this intermittent error on
a webservice call that seems to be related to the custom return type:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><soapenv:Envelope

<soapenv:Body>

<soapenv:Fault>

<faultstring>coldfusion.xml.rpc.CFCInvocationException:
[java.lang.ClassNotFoundException :
components.bridge.Cp_startup][java.lang.LinkageError : loader (instance of
coldfusion/xml/rpc/SkeletonClassLoader): attempted duplicate class
definition for name: &quot;components/bridge/Cp_startup&quot;]</faultstring>

<detail>

<ns1:hostname
xmlns:ns1="http://xml.apache.org/axis/">YOURMAMA</ns1:hostname>

</detail>

</soapenv:Fault>

</soapenv:Body>

</soapenv:Envelope>

The problem is described in good detail here:

http://blog.coldfusionpowered.com/?p=28

Clearing the cfc skeletons worked once, but does not work anymore. All
referenced to custom return types use the same case.

Has anyone else seen this? Google turned up nothing...

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339515

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Nov 24, 2010, 7:48:50 PM11/24/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

Just an update on this. Clearing the generated class files and the
cfcskeletons classes did not resolve the issue. Restarting the server did.

However, I don't trust it will continue working since it has been
intermittent. Fingers crossed it was a left over class file prior to
upgrading to 8.01 (although I thought I had cleared all class files during
the upgrade.

Brook

Hello,

<soapenv:Body>

<soapenv:Fault>

<detail>

</detail>

</soapenv:Fault>

</soapenv:Body>

</soapenv:Envelope>

http://blog.coldfusionpowered.com/?p=28

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339522

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Nov 30, 2010, 6:16:19 PM11/30/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

I am getting this error again, now with a different custom return type
class. This error is making our web service unusable. Has any one
encountered this:

The fault returned when invoking the web service operation is:<br>
<pre>AxisFault faultCode:
faultSubcode: faultString: coldfusion.xml.rpc.CFCInvocationException:
[java.lang.ClassNotFoundException :
components.bridge.Cp_register][java.lang.LinkageError : loader (instance of
coldfusion/xml/rpc/SkeletonClassLoader): attempted duplicate class
definition for name: &quot;components/bridge/Cp_register&quot;] faultActor:
faultNode: faultDetail: {http://xml.apache.org/axis/}hostname:YOURMAMA2
''</pre>

Brook

Brook

Hello,

<soapenv:Body>

<soapenv:Fault>

<detail>

</detail>

</soapenv:Fault>

</soapenv:Body>

</soapenv:Envelope>

http://blog.coldfusionpowered.com/?p=28

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339644

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Nov 30, 2010, 7:07:15 PM11/30/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

have you applied all the updates and hotfixes for 8,0,1

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 11:16 PM, Brook Davies <cft...@logiforms.com> wrote:

> I am getting this error again, now with a different custom return type
> class. This error is making our web service unusable. Has any one
> encountered this:
>
> The fault returned when invoking the web service operation is:<br>
> <pre>AxisFault faultCode:

> {http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/}Server.userException<http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/%7DServer.userException>

> faultSubcode: faultString: coldfusion.xml.rpc.CFCInvocationException:
> [java.lang.ClassNotFoundException :
> components.bridge.Cp_register][java.lang.LinkageError : loader (instance of
> coldfusion/xml/rpc/SkeletonClassLoader): attempted duplicate class
> definition for name: &quot;components/bridge/Cp_register&quot;] faultActor:

> faultNode: faultDetail: {http://xml.apache.org/axis/}hostname:YOURMAMA2<http://xml.apache.org/axis/%7Dhostname:YOURMAMA2>

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339647

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Nov 30, 2010, 8:13:37 PM11/30/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

I've installed cumulative hot fix 4...

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339649

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Nov 30, 2010, 8:53:23 PM11/30/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

I deleted all the class files clicked 'clear template cache now' in the
cfadmin. The CF server hung so I rebooted only to find that CF 8.01 would no
longer start. The only thing in the log " Error loading:
C:/ColdFusion8/runtime/jre\bin\server\jvm.dll".

I tried a different JVM and checked to make sure the jvm.config file was not
corrupt. Same error (different path) with a different JVM.

I tried everything I could think of and eventually decided to re-install
CF8. I'm getting the exact same error after the re-install. CF will not
start. The error message is the same as above.

I've never had this happen before, to this extent. I don't know what it
could be. This server has ran fine for years..

Anybody have any pointers on where to look?

Brook

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339650

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Nov 30, 2010, 9:05:21 PM11/30/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

What's the path look like in the JVM.config file? Paste the top part of the
file for us :)

Mark A. Kruger, MCSE, CFG
(402) 408-3733 ext 105
Skype: markakruger
www.cfwebtools.com
www.coldfusionmuse.com
www.necfug.com

Brook

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339651

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Nov 30, 2010, 9:18:30 PM11/30/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

Its plain jane:

#
# VM configuration
#
# Where to find JVM, if {java.home}/jre exists then that JVM is used
# if not then it must be the path to the JRE itself
java.home=C:/ColdFusion8/runtime/jre

-----------

Brook

Brook

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339652

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Nov 30, 2010, 9:27:21 PM11/30/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

Looks default to me Brook... what's in your /runtime/logs/*-out.log
(cfusion-out.log usually). Is that were you got the "Error loading" error?

-mark

Its plain jane:

-----------

Brook

Brook

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339653

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Nov 30, 2010, 9:34:07 PM11/30/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

Yeah, its really weird. I've tried a couple different JVM's now and I get
the same error every time. The coldfusion-out.log, the only log with
anything in it only has the one line error message "Error

Like I said also, I just reinstalled CF8 and am still getting this error.

I've tried everything I can think of....

These problems all started when I deleted the contents of the cfclasses
directory and cleared the template cache on the server. That hung the server
and on restart its just not working. I've never seen anything like this
before.. I don't know where else to look... but for the windows 2003 install
CD... which I hope I don't need to do...

Brook

-mark

Its plain jane:

-----------

Brook

Brook

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339654

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Nov 30, 2010, 10:11:03 PM11/30/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

Path looks weird... try a java path instead.... double backslashes...

C:\\coldfusion8\\runtime\\bin .... maybe all the way to the jvm dir...
\\bin\\server...

Brook

-mark

Its plain jane:

-----------

Brook

Brook

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339655

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Nov 30, 2010, 10:13:00 PM11/30/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

Also check case sensitivity.... weird I know but sometimes... :)

Brook

-mark

Its plain jane:

-----------

Brook

Brook

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339656

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Nov 30, 2010, 10:31:28 PM11/30/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

Are you sure you installed the correct update?

When you reinstalled CF8 did you apply the update again?

Did you try to start CF before applying the update after the reinstall?

Wil Genovese

One man with courage makes a majority.
-Andrew Jackson

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339657

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Nov 30, 2010, 10:39:02 PM11/30/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

> I deleted all the class files clicked 'clear template cache now' in the
> cfadmin. The CF server hung so I rebooted only to find that CF 8.01 would no
> longer start. The only thing in the log " Error loading:
> C:/ColdFusion8/runtime/jre\bin\server\jvm.dll".
>
> I tried a different JVM and checked to make sure the jvm.config file was not
> corrupt. Same error (different path) with a different JVM.
>
> I tried everything I could think of and eventually decided to re-install
> CF8. I'm getting the exact same error after the re-install. CF will not
> start. The error message is the same as above.
>
> I've never had this happen before, to this extent. I don't know what it
> could be. This server has ran fine for years..
>
> Anybody have any pointers on where to look?

My guess is that you have the following:

- a 64-bit system,
- a 32-bit version of CF with a 32-bit jvm.dll,
- a 64-bit JVM installed elsewhere that's in the path, and that's
trying to interact with the 32-bit DLL.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339658

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Nov 30, 2010, 10:43:43 PM11/30/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

Mark: Tried all path combinations under the sun - no dice

Will: I've tried both ways now, with and without the 8.01 updater.

I've never seen anything like this before. I don't know what it could be. I
think I'm gonna have to do a complete re-install of the OS. Cause I have no
idea. BTW, I can run "java - version" from a command prompt and get a
result. Java appears to be installed and functional...

Brook

Wil Genovese

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339660

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Nov 30, 2010, 10:48:45 PM11/30/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

> I've never seen anything like this before. I don't know what it could be. I
> think I'm gonna have to do a complete re-install of the OS. Cause I have no
> idea. BTW, I can run "java - version" from a command prompt and get a
> result. Java appears to be installed and functional...

Running "java -version" indicates that the user context in which
you're logged in has the proper environment variables, etc, set up. It
doesn't tell you anything about how CF will run Java, unless you've
logged in as the same user account that CF uses.

What version of Java does it say you have?

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339661

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Nov 30, 2010, 11:00:46 PM11/30/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

Oooh... .good thought.

Nov 30, 2010, 11:08:25 PM11/30/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

I don't think thats the case because this problem started on a machine (all
32 bit, jvm and cf...) that was working perfectly for a long time. Then, as
mentioned, I had some duplicate class name errors, cleared the cfclasses and
the template cache via the cfadmin, the server hung, and on a reboot I can
no longer start CF. I've reinstalled CF and a new JVM and I get the same 1
line error every time.

I really don't want to spend all night (going downtown to the colo)
re-installing the OS and CF and setting up all the crap on this server, but
it looks like I may have to.

Any other ideas? I'll try anything!

Brook

Nov 30, 2010, 11:10:55 PM11/30/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

I have tried running CF as the administrator account and I get the same
error (thats the account I am logged in as). The JAVA path environment
variable is actually pointing to the JVM I just installed on a separate
drive to see if that would work over the JVM included with CF. Its 1.6.0_21.

But I have tried setting this to the version that ships with CF and that
doesn't work either...

Brook

Nov 30, 2010, 11:23:23 PM11/30/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

Brook.... ok, maybe your CF files are corrupt or in a bad spot on the
disk...Can you run a chkdsk? Or maybe even a defrag would relocate the files
in a way that would repair them (works occasionally). I'd be interested to
know if just a regular check disk shows any errors. The duplicate class name
makes me think of goofy i/o stuff. What do you think Dave?

What do the windows logs show... any i/o type errors? The error you are
getting is definitely really early on in the bootstrap - like when the JVM
is first tapped.... not much to go on eh?

Brook

Oooh... .good thought.

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339665

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Nov 30, 2010, 11:25:46 PM11/30/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

> I have tried running CF as the administrator account and I get the same
> error (thats the account I am logged in as). The JAVA path environment
> variable is actually pointing to the JVM I just installed on a separate
> drive to see if that would work over the JVM included with CF. Its 1.6.0_21.
>
> But I have tried setting this to the version that ships with CF and that
> doesn't work either...

Remove all other versions of Java, make sure their environment
variables are removed, and restart CF.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339666

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Nov 30, 2010, 11:27:11 PM11/30/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

> Brook.... ok, maybe your CF files are corrupt or in a bad spot on the
> disk...Can you run a chkdsk? Or maybe even a defrag would relocate the files
> in a way that would repair them (works occasionally). I'd be interested to
> know if just a regular check disk shows any errors. The duplicate class name
> makes me think of goofy i/o stuff. What do you think Dave?

I think it's possible, but every "Error loading ... jvm.dll" I've seen
or heard of was caused by a mismatch between JVMs.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339667

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Nov 30, 2010, 11:27:22 PM11/30/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

Can I see the rest of your JVM.config file?

Also... have you tried commenting it out? Perhaps you have a JAVA_HOME
set.....

Its plain jane:

-----------

Brook

Brook

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339668

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Nov 30, 2010, 11:40:16 PM11/30/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

The JVM config I have is the default that comes with CF cause I just did a
re-install. I am trying to uninstall other JVMS and restart CF and see if
that helps.

Its plain jane:

-----------

Brook

Brook

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339669

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Nov 30, 2010, 11:50:23 PM11/30/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

Well, I've removed the extra JVM's and rebooted. Same Error. The jvm.config
file is below - its the default...this is so weird..

#
# VM configuration
#
# Where to find JVM, if {java.home}/jre exists then that JVM is used
# if not then it must be the path to the JRE itself
java.home=C:/ColdFusion8/runtime/jre

#
# If no java.home is specified a VM is located by looking in these places in
this
# order:
#
# 1) bin directory for java.dll (windows) or lib/<ARCH>/libjava.so (unix)
# 2) ../jre
# 3) registry (windows only)
# 4) JAVA_HOME env var plus jre (ie $JAVA_HOME/jre)
#

# Arguments to VM
java.args=-server -Xmx512m -Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false
-XX:MaxPermSize=192m -XX:+UseParallelGC
-Dcoldfusion.rootDir={application.home}/../
-Dcoldfusion.classPath={application.home}/../lib/updates,{application.home}/
../lib,{application.home}/../gateway/lib/,{application.home}/../wwwroot/WEB-
INF/cfform/jars -Dcoldfusion.libPath={application.home}/../lib

#
# commas will be converted to platform specific separator and the result
will be passed
# as -Djava.ext.dirs= to the VM
java.ext.dirs={jre.home}/lib/ext

#
# where to find shared libraries
java.library.path={application.home}/../lib,{application.home}/../jintegra/b
in,{application.home}/../jintegra/bin/international
system.path.first=false

#
# set the current working directory - useful for Windows to control
# the default search path used when loading DLLs since it comes
# before system directory, windows directory and PATH
java.user.dir={application.home}/../../lib

# JVM classpath
java.class.path={application.home}/servers/lib,{application.home}/../lib/mac
romedia_drivers.jar,{application.home}/lib/cfmx_mbean.jar,{application.home}
/lib

Its plain jane:

-----------

Brook

Brook

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339670

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Nov 30, 2010, 11:52:28 PM11/30/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

No I/O errors in the logs. The duplicate class file issue also happened on
two servers (after the 8.01 update) so I don't think thats I/O related. I am
leaning that way aswell though, since this is just a bit to bizarre...

I'll run chkdsk and report back..

Brook

Brook

Oooh... .good thought.

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339671

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Nov 30, 2010, 11:59:30 PM11/30/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

chkDsk says there are no bad blocks.. I'm doing a defrag aswell....

No I/O errors in the logs. The duplicate class file issue also happened on
two servers (after the 8.01 update) so I don't think thats I/O related. I am
leaning that way aswell though, since this is just a bit to bizarre...

I'll run chkdsk and report back..

Brook

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339672

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Dec 1, 2010, 5:34:46 AM12/1/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

Well, its 2am and I am still trying to figure this one out. I've reinstalled
CF now about 5 times, I get the same error (with zero details!) everytime.
I've tried installing to a new partition - same error. I've logged on with a
new admin account and installed from there, same error. I've tried multiple
JVMs, same thing.

If I open a command prompt and go to 'c:\coldfusion8\runtime\bin\' and run
any of executables directly (like sniffer.exe or xmlscript.exe - I get the
same error "Error loading: C:/ColdFusion8/runtime/jre\bin\server\jvm.dll".

Theres nothing in any logs. I don't know what else to do. How can I get a
more detailed error message or insight into what is happening?

Could this permissions related? I've tried giving 'everyone' full access to
the CF directory. Running the service under an admin account - all with no
luck...

Brook

Brook

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339673

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Dec 1, 2010, 7:18:10 AM12/1/10

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Brook Davies wrote:
> If I open a command prompt and go to 'c:\coldfusion8\runtime\bin\' and run
> any of executables directly (like sniffer.exe or xmlscript.exe - I get the
> same error "Error loading: C:/ColdFusion8/runtime/jre\bin\server\jvm.dll".

So does the dll exist on the filesystem? What is the md5 and file size
of the dll? Do you have some sort of antivirus with on-access scans
installed on the system?

> Theres nothing in any logs. I don't know what else to do. How can I get a
> more detailed error message or insight into what is happening?

How are you starting CF? Have you tried bypassing the service and just
starting it from the command line with "jrun.exe -start cfusion"? What
is the output from the command "set"?

Jochem

--
Jochem van Dieten
http://jochem.vandieten.net/

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339675

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Dec 1, 2010, 7:24:19 AM12/1/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

when you tried other JVMs, where did you install them?
try installing one into C:\Java or some such directory - not into CF8's
jre folder and not into Program Files - and changing your java.home in
jvm.config to point to the new jre location.

(make sure you download and install the JDK, not just JRE - jdk includes
the /server directory; jre only has /client)

and, as has been suggested already, triple-check that all the parts (OS,
CF and JVM) run in same bit mode (all 32-bit or all 64-bit)

Azadi

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339676

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Dec 1, 2010, 9:45:49 AM12/1/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

Hi Jochem,

The dll does exist where it is supposed to. Its 3,813,376 KB in size. I've
reinstalled CF8 about 6 or 7 times now, to various locations always with the
exact same error. The dll is virus free.

I've tried starting CF directly and I get the exact same error and that
error alone printed out to the console.

Its bizarre right?

Brook

Jochem

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339677

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Dec 1, 2010, 9:53:03 AM12/1/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

Brook,

Any compression on the file system?

-mark

Dec 1, 2010, 10:09:20 AM12/1/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

Nope, no compression Mark. The really strange thing is that everything was
running fine, until that class file issue. And after deleting the cf
generated class files and then clicking 'clear template cache' in the
cfadmin, upon rebooting this mysterious error has been all I have been able
to get when trying to run CF...

I have the keyTool GUI program on this server and it has a dump of all the
Java paths and configurations - they match exactly our other web server that
is running CF8 with the exact same config just fine.

Also, I can open a command prompt and go to c:\coldfusion8\runtime\jre\bin\
and run java -version and it reports '1.6.0_04'....

Everything is 32bit...

Brook

Dec 1, 2010, 10:21:47 AM12/1/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

Brook,

And a full reinstall to a different directory (c:\coldfusion8_new or
something) didn't work?

Everything is 32bit...

Brook

Brook,

-mark

Hi Jochem,

Its bizarre right?

Brook

Jochem

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339680

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Dec 1, 2010, 10:38:39 AM12/1/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

Yeah, a full reinstall to a new partition didn't work (G:\coldfusion8). Same
error!

Brook,

Everything is 32bit...

Brook

Brook,

-mark

Hi Jochem,

Its bizarre right?

Brook

Jochem

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339681

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Dec 1, 2010, 11:19:56 AM12/1/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

Brook,

Tell me everything about the OS - ignoring any information about JVM's etc.
What exact version of windows are you running? Is it a VPS? Is it on a
domain? What are the environmental variables? Is your login as an admin?
What is the service pack level.... gotta be something else going on outside
of CF at this point - don't you think?

What was your process for "uninstalling" CF? For "reinstalling"?

-Mark

Brook,

Everything is 32bit...

Brook

Brook,

-mark

Hi Jochem,

Its bizarre right?

Brook

Jochem

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339683

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Dec 1, 2010, 2:40:01 PM12/1/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

Hallelujah praise the lord. Thanks to "Mack" who was kind enough to take a
look at my server, we're back in business. Turns out an older version of
msvcr71.dll had somehow found its way onto the system and was causing all of
the problems.

I don't know why it just started all of sudden, but updating this dll
resolved the problem. Maybe Mack can comment further on the resolution.

Thank you for everyones responses and suggestions!!

Brook

Brook,

-Mark

Brook,

Everything is 32bit...

Brook

Brook,

-mark

Hi Jochem,

Its bizarre right?

Brook

Jochem

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339700

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Dec 1, 2010, 5:15:43 PM12/1/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

Wow... now that's obscure.... gotta blog that one.

Brook

Brook,

-Mark

Brook,

Everything is 32bit...

Brook

Brook,

-mark

Hi Jochem,

Its bizarre right?

Brook

Jochem

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339709

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Dec 1, 2010, 5:27:28 PM12/1/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

that is certainly odd, that is the microsoft visual c runtime file, how
would it affect ColdFusion which runs on Java ?

Russ

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339710

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Dec 1, 2010, 5:36:36 PM12/1/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

It's used by the installer - probably to register DLLs and add other stuff
to the registry. I've noticed that CF9 will check and install these
libraries if it doesn't find them. ... but it seems like an awfully low
level OS problem to be affecting a Java ap eh?

that is certainly odd, that is the microsoft visual c runtime file, how
would it affect ColdFusion which runs on Java ?

Russ

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339711

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Dec 1, 2010, 6:07:41 PM12/1/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

> ... but it seems like an awfully low
> level OS problem to be affecting a Java ap eh?

I noticed the bug database does mention problems with java 1.6/msvcr71.dll and custom loaders

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339712

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Dec 1, 2010, 7:39:09 PM12/1/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

> that is certainly odd, that is the microsoft visual c runtime file, how
> would it affect ColdFusion which runs on Java ?

The JVM itself is loaded as a native DLL - jvm.dll. Java requires a
native bootstrap to run in the first place.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339713

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Dec 2, 2010, 6:42:27 AM12/2/10

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 12:36 AM, Mark A. Kruger <mkr...@cfwebtools.com> wrote:

> It's used by the installer - probably to register DLLs and add other stuff
> to the registry. �I've noticed that CF9 will check and install these
> libraries if it doesn't find them. ... but it seems like an awfully low
> level OS problem to be affecting a Java ap eh?

Dave is correct here, jvm.dll has a dependency on msvcr71.dll. In this
case jrun.exe would terminate immediately after msvcr71.dll was loaded
and write an error to the log file about not being able to load
jvm.dll. The fix was to copy a newer version of msvcr71.dll to
runtime\bin so CF used that and leave the older dll in system32.

--
Mack

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339715

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Dec 2, 2010, 8:47:26 AM12/2/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

Mack,

Thanks for that info.... so copying to the /bin directory does the trick? I
would think you would have to "un register" and "re register".... nice to
know.

-Mark

> Thanks for that info.... so copying to the /bin directory does the trick? �I
> would think you would have to "un register" and "re register".... nice to
> know.

Mark,

When loading a DLL Windows searches first in the current directory
and then in the system directories I think.

--
Mack

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339718

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Dec 2, 2010, 10:35:13 AM12/2/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

Yeah, I wasn't sure if you need to copy it into the bin directory or just
update the version in system32. Thanks again Mack.

Brook

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339719

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Dec 2, 2010, 5:27:06 PM12/2/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

So did the initial webservice error go away as well?

.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
Bobby Hartsfield
http://acoderslife.com

Dec 3, 2010, 10:53:52 AM12/3/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

The initial webservice error did not go away after the msvcr71.dll was
updated. It was unrelated. For the record, the errors starting happening on
our webservice after the 8.01 upgrade and involved the complex return types.
The error was:

coldfusion.xml.rpc.CFCInvocationException: [java.lang.ClassNotFoundException
: components.bridge.Cp_startup][java.lang.LinkageError : loader (instance of
coldfusion/xml/rpc/SkeletonClassLoader): attempted duplicate class

definition for name: "components/bridge/Cp_startup"]

The error would go away after a restart and clearing out all of the
generated class files. But it would then start happening again out of the
blue.

I first tried making sure that the references to the returntypes in the code
were all the same case. This did not resolve it. Finally I renamed all of
the complex return type definitions to begin with an upper case "C" (from
'cp_startup.cfc' to 'Cp_startup.cfc'). After rebooting and clearing the
cache the problem seems to have been resolved.

Brook

Yeah, I wasn't sure if you need to copy it into the bin directory or just
update the version in system32. Thanks again Mack.

Brook

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339735

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Dec 3, 2010, 2:11:36 PM12/3/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

Is this a .NET service?

Brook

Brook

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339771

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Dec 3, 2010, 5:50:13 PM12/3/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

That is exactly what we have pushed to production today to attempt to
resolve this (which is the only place it happens). The WSDL always title
cases the name. I read that displayName would override the case but it
didn't seem to work. Finally we just gave in and changed all references to
it to match the WSDL.

I guess time will tell if it resolved the issue. It gives me hope that it
seems to have resolved your problem.

Thanks

Brook

Brook

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339777

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Dec 4, 2010, 7:41:10 PM12/4/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

Changing the case of the actual template file names fixed it. Changing the
references in the code did not.

Brook

Brook

Brook

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339788

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Dec 5, 2010, 3:00:12 AM12/5/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

Wow very interesting and difficult problem. I am a bit late in reading this detail and have nothing to add over what others have covered. Curious is it fixed and what was to solution?
Regards, Carl.

>Well, its 2am and I am still trying to figure this one out. I've reinstalled
>CF now about 5 times, I get the same error (with zero details!) everytime.
>I've tried installing to a new partition - same error. I've logged on with a
>new admin account and installed from there, same error. I've tried multiple
>JVMs, same thing.
>
>If I open a command prompt and go to 'c:\coldfusion8\runtime\bin\' and run
>any of executables directly (like sniffer.exe or xmlscript.exe - I get the
>same error "Error loading: C:/ColdFusion8/runtime/jre\bin\server\jvm.dll".
>
>Theres nothing in any logs. I don't know what else to do. How can I get a
>more detailed error message or insight into what is happening?
>
>Could this permissions related? I've tried giving 'everyone' full access to
>the CF directory. Running the service under an admin account - all with no
>luck...
>
>Brook

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339792

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Dec 5, 2010, 3:07:53 AM12/5/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

Just noticed the answer in other thread. Interesting solution Mack.

> Wow very interesting and difficult problem. I am a bit late in reading
> this detail and have nothing to add over what others have covered.
> Curious is it fixed and what was to solution?
> Regards, Carl.

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339793

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Dec 9, 2010, 1:07:17 PM12/9/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

Just to put this out there, the problem with the duplicate class definition
error is back again. It ran fine for days and all of a sudden reared its
ugly head out of the blue. No server restart, nothing. I don't want caused
it to start happening again.

Bobby mentioned he was having the same error. Anyone else? I think this is a
bug, since it only started happening on a webservice that has ran without
error for 5 years - after the 8.01 update.

coldfusion.xml.rpc.CFCInvocationException: [java.lang.ClassNotFoundException
: components.bridge.Cp_startup][java.lang.LinkageError : loader (instance of
coldfusion/xml/rpc/SkeletonClassLoader): attempted duplicate class
definition for name: "components/bridge/Cp_startup"]

My customers are up in arms, but we don't have a good solution for this....

Brook

Brook

Brook

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339938

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Dec 9, 2010, 1:20:48 PM12/9/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

I should mention, that clearing the template cache (via the cfadmin) appears
to resolve the problem. Note, I also manually deleted the cfclasses/ and
cfc-skeleton/ files before clicking 'clear template cache'. Not sure if I
*needed* that step. So what, should I schedule the template cache to be
cleared every x number of hours in an attempt to avoid this problem?

At this point I think I might set up a task that runs every 5 mins, calls
the webservice and if the result contains the "duplicate class definition"
string/error, then programmatically clear the template cache (

createObject("component","cfide.adminapi.administrator").login("ohnoyoudont"
);
createObject("component","cfide.adminapi.runtime").clearTrustedCache();

*Would this even work to clear the template cache???*

). Its hella ugly, but its hack/patch..

Brook

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339940

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Dec 10, 2010, 2:49:31 PM12/10/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

An update on this:

Since the problem came back, what I ended up doing was reverting to the
lower case file names and references used previously and taking a copy of
the WSDL generated prior to CF 8.01 and saving it as a standalone WSDL. Then
in the webservice CFC, I added <component wsdlfile="myOriginal.wsdl">, so
that it would use my original 'static' WSDL. So far this is working, it
remains to be seen if the problem will rear its ugly head again. If it does,
I'm sure it will happen at 3am Sunday morning ;)

Brook

Brook

Brook

Brook

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:339998

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Dec 10, 2010, 4:49:32 PM12/10/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

Well, I didn't have to wait til 3am Sunday morning. I'm getting this error
again...

The fault returned when invoking the web service operation is:<br>
<pre>AxisFault faultCode:
faultSubcode: faultString: coldfusion.xml.rpc.CFCInvocationException:

[java.lang.ClassNotFoundException :
components.bridge.Cp_startup][java.lang.LinkageError : loader (instance of
coldfusion/xml/rpc/SkeletonClassLoader): attempted duplicate class

definition for name: &quot;components/bridge/Cp_startup&quot;] faultActor:
faultNode: faultDetail: {http://xml.apache.org/axis/}hostname:AWEB2 ''</pre>

Grrr.... I've pretty much exhausted all my options now, this is driving me
batty..

Brook

An update on this:

Brook

Brook

Brook

Brook

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:340001

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Dec 11, 2010, 1:04:43 PM12/11/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

> Grrr.... I've pretty much exhausted all my options now, this is driving me
> batty..

Brook,

I think this is a bug in CF. I've made a small testcase on which I can
reproduce the error all the time:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15688335/wstest.zip

1. Put the files in a wstest folder in your root.
2. create a file to test the web service : <cfset ws =
createObject("webservice",
"http://SERVER/wstest/ws.cfc?wsdl").function1()>

3. run the test file once. It should work properly.
4. rename wstest/result/function1Response.cfc (adding 1 at the end of
the file works just fine)
5. run the test file. It should complain about function1Response.cfc
not being found.
6. rename the cfc back to function1Response.cfc
7. run the test file. On my server (9.0.1) it alternates between
'java.lang.LinkageError : loader (instance of
coldfusion/xml/rpc/SkeletonClassLoader): attempted duplicate class
definition for name: "wstest/result/Function1Response"' and
'java.lang.ClassNotFoundException :
wstest.result.Function1Response][java.lang.NullPointerException :
null'

The error is cleared temporarily by:
- changing ws.cfc (adding spaces at the start for example);
- using the clearTrustedCache function like in your code.

If you can duplicate the error I will log this as a bug with Adobe.

--
Mack

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:340010

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Dec 12, 2010, 7:21:54 PM12/12/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

Hi Mack,

On CF 8.01 I get this error when following the steps:

[coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod$InvalidReturnTypeException : The value
returned from the function1 function is not of type
wstest.result.function1Response.]

Your getting a different error, which is actually the same one I get on my
production server. However, I don't have to modify any filenames or ANY code
to get this error. I think it happens when there is a cache pop in the
template cache. Because it works for a while, some times a day or so, and
then stops. If I increase the template cache size it seems to work for
longer before an error starts, thats why I think its related to the template
cache..

Brook

> Your getting a different error, which is actually the same one I get on my
> production server. However, I don't have to modify any filenames or ANY code
> to get this error. I think it happens when there is a cache pop in the
> template cache.

That's my guess also and I think renaming the cfc does a cache pop so
the bug can be duplicated quickly.

--
Mack

Archive: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:340026

hofar...@houseoffusion.com

Dec 22, 2010, 2:19:53 PM12/22/10
to ColdFusion Technical Talk

Hi Mack,

Just wondering if you filed this as a bug. My webservice continually throws
the duplicate class error message after running for some time. I have
resorted now to running the following code every 1 hour to clear the
template cache and hopefully avoid this error:

<!--- login --->
<cftry>
<cfinvoke
component="cfide.adminapi.administrator"
method="login"
adminPassword=""
adminUsername="admin">
<cflog file="wsCACHE" text="Log in successful">
<cfcatch>
<cflog file="wsCACHE" text="Error logging in to CFADMIN.
#cfcatch.message#">
<cfabort>
</cfcatch>
</cftry>

<!--- release templates from template cache --->
<cfset filepath = 'C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\www.yourmamassofat.com\cmp\bridge\'>
<cfset tpllist = ''>
<cfset tpllist = listAppend(tpllist, filepath & 'cp_startup.cfc')>
<cfset tpllist = listAppend(tpllist, filepath & 'cp_register.cfc')>
<cfset tpllist = listAppend(tpllist, filepath & 'cp_createTask.cfc')>
<cfset tpllist = listAppend(tpllist, filepath & 'cp_deleteTask.cfc')>
<cfset tpllist = listAppend(tpllist, filepath & 'cp_getFieldList.cfc')>
<cfset tpllist = listAppend(tpllist, filepath &
'cp_getFieldListandfilters.cfc')>
<cfset tpllist = listAppend(tpllist, filepath & 'cp_uninstallBridge.cfc')>
<cfset tpllist = listAppend(tpllist, filepath & 'cp_updateTask.cfc')>
<cfset tpllist = listAppend(tpllist, filepath & 'bridge.cfc')>

<cftry>
<cfinvoke
component="cfide.adminapi.runtime"
method="clearTrustedCache"
templateList="#tpllist#">
<!--- log failure clearing template cache --->
<cfcatch>
<cflog file="wsCACHE" text="Errror clearing template cache
via adminAPI. #cfcatch.message#">
</cfcatch>
</cftry>

<!--- log success --->
<cflog file="wsCACHE" text="Template Cache cleared">

<!--- logout --->
<cftry>
<cfinvoke
component="cfide.adminapi.administrator"
method="logout"
adminPassword=""
adminUsername="admin"
templateList="#tpllist#">
<cfcatch>
<cflog file="wsCACHE" text="Error logging out of CFADMIN">
</cfcatch>
</cftry>

Brook

> Just wondering if you filed this as a bug.

Brook,

It's bug 85391.

--
Mack