[Survey] What do you want in ColdBox?

br...@bradwood.com

Sep 24, 2012, 11:49:23 PM9/24/12
to ColdBox List
Hello everyone,

Team ColdBox is working on putting together a list of features for our 4.0 release.  Before we finalize anything, we'd like to hear from you.  Please give us your wishlist for the ColdBox Platform and what you'd like to see us work on.  There's always items like documentation and additional screen casts, etc but let's focus specifically on what development items we can do to make ColdBox faster, easier, smarter, and flexible for YOU.  No suggestion is too big or small.

Please just reply here in the forum so we can all discuss.  Don't be shy, we can handle criticism :)

Thanks!

~Brad

ColdBox Platform Evangelist
Ortus Solutions, Corp

E-mail: br...@coldbox.org
ColdBox Platform: http://www.coldbox.org
Blog: http://www.codersrevolution.com

Andrew Scott

Sep 25, 2012, 12:32:00 AM9/25/12
to col...@googlegroups.com
Brad,

It is hard to suggest something that already has so much, but one of the things that I think could be improved is how the event handling is managed.

Sometime ago I found that something I needed to do in ContentBox, was not working. It turns out that nobody responded to the post, but the run down is that you can't override in the interception point for preEvent() and it only works when it is used as a wrapper in the handler.

By looking at the code for the runEvent(), this makes sense as to why and how.

My solution was to modify the code as per the previous post on the subject, to check if the event had been overridden after the interceptor announce. But the overall problem is that one can expect code to run when it will not run, which it will do if the overridden event also uses the preEvent() to setup code for the handler.

By looking at this section of code for runEvent() it shows a limitation that can cause problems, as I discovered because my override event failed to get called.

What I am proposing here, is that this section needs to change. To a queue based processing, haven't thought about the implication as yet, but override would need to keep looping the changes until no more overridden events have occurred.

As you can see then there is a danger, that this could end up into an endless loop that will never exit, which would need some discussion as how to then handle that.

--
Regards,
Andrew Scott

Exist~Dissolve

Sep 25, 2012, 12:44:48 AM9/25/12
to col...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to see support for DetachedCriteria/Subqueries baked into the CriteriaBuilder. I currently use a home-brewed version of this, but would really like to see it implemented for real into CB.

The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history.

http://singularityconcepts.com

br...@bradwood.com

Sep 25, 2012, 12:48:06 AM9/25/12
to col...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the input.  Can you throw in a link to the thread you had started on this before?

Thanks!

~Brad

ColdBox Platform Evangelist
Ortus Solutions, Corp

E-mail: br...@coldbox.org
ColdBox Platform: http://www.coldbox.org
Blog: http://www.codersrevolution.com

br...@bradwood.com

Sep 25, 2012, 12:49:17 AM9/25/12
to col...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your input.  Are you will to share your home brew and/or collaborate on its inclusion into ColdBox?

Thanks!

~Brad

ColdBox Platform Evangelist
Ortus Solutions, Corp

E-mail: br...@coldbox.org
ColdBox Platform: http://www.coldbox.org
Blog: http://www.codersrevolution.com

Andrew Scott

Sep 25, 2012, 12:53:28 AM9/25/12
to col...@googlegroups.com
Not sure how to link it, but the subject was Overriding the event using preEvent.

--
Regards,
Andrew Scott
WebSite: http://www.andyscott.id.au/

Luis Majano

Sep 25, 2012, 1:03:17 AM9/25/12
to col...@googlegroups.com
That sounds interesting. Can you help us or post your work?

Exist~Dissolve

Sep 25, 2012, 1:06:28 AM9/25/12
to col...@googlegroups.com
Sure thing. I'll pull together what I have so far and post it when I get a chance. Thanks
Message has been deleted

Tom Miller

Sep 25, 2012, 8:17:05 AM9/25/12
to col...@googlegroups.com

Hey Brad.

I’d like to see “this.handlersParentLookup” in modules, so I can override module handlers in my application, the same way I can for views and layouts.

So, for example, in my parent application I override module handlers to adjust functionality without needing to touch the module itself.

I’ve actually adjusted Coldbox myself to get this working, but I only used the handlersLocation and NOT the handlersExternalLocation – to make sure that any name conflicts didn’t become an issue (such as main.cfc/general.cfc etc.) Obviously I can extend the module handler using this method, so I can create custom events or override existing module events – was is kinda cool.

As I said, I’ve adjusted CB myself already, but I think this would be useful for others perhaps?

I just added this to HandlerService:getRegisteredHandler:

     if (moduleSettings[moduleReceived].handlerParentLookup) {

          ParentHandlerReceived = "modules.#moduleReceived#.#handlerReceived#";

          handlerIndex = listFindNoCase(handlersList, ParentHandlerReceived);

          // Check for conventions location

          if ( handlerIndex ){

            return HandlerBean

              .setHandler(listgetAt(handlersList,handlerIndex))

              .setMethod(MethodReceived);

          }

          // Check for external location

          /* don’t actually look in the external location, name conflicts are likely…

          handlerIndex = listFindNoCase(handlersExternalList, ParentHandlerReceived);

          if( handlerIndex ){

            return HandlerBean

              .setInvocationPath(instance.handlersExternalLocation)

              .setHandler(listgetAt(handlersExternalList,handlerIndex))

              .setMethod(MethodReceived);

          }

          */

        }

Tom.

--

Message has been deleted

br...@bradwood.com

Sep 26, 2012, 11:04:25 AM9/26/12
to col...@googlegroups.com
Good question Sami.  I know some analysis was done a few years back against Ruby On Rails I believe, but I can't find it.

Are there any non-CF frameworks that people think would be good for a comparison project.

Thanks!

~Brad

ColdBox Platform Evangelist
Ortus Solutions, Corp

E-mail: br...@coldbox.org
ColdBox Platform: http://www.coldbox.org
Blog: http://www.codersrevolution.com

Sep 26, 2012, 1:36:19 PM9/26/12
to col...@googlegroups.com
We did it with Grails as I was working with it. Not sure where it is anymore.

Luis F. Majano
CEO
Ortus Solutions, Corp

br...@bradwood.com

Sep 26, 2012, 5:22:40 PM9/26/12
to col...@googlegroups.com
Here, Luis dug up the URL for the Grails comparison we did some time ago:

We're open to suggestions regarding other non-CF frameworks that would make a nice comparison or other comparison points that were left out.

Andrew Scott

Oct 2, 2012, 11:41:18 PM10/2/12
to col...@googlegroups.com
Something I did think about was AOP v Others..

I am not sure if this goes outside the aspects of AOP, but there have been times when I don't need the application to wait. Was reading the differences between AOP and Edmund, by Sean Corfield and the one thing that I seemed to only see as a difference, is that Edmund runs in async.

So my thoughts are, what if we have an option to not wait for the interception process to return?

I can see that the only solution to this would be to process as a thread, which I am not sure how this would affect the usage of Coldbox access from within the thread.

br...@bradwood.com

Oct 3, 2012, 2:04:31 AM10/3/12
to col...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the input Andrew.  We actually just discussed asynchronous AOP advices today while going over ideas for ColdBox 4.  I think this is validation that the idea is worth looking into.

Thanks!

~Brad

ColdBox Platform Evangelist
Ortus Solutions, Corp

E-mail: br...@coldbox.org
ColdBox Platform: http://www.coldbox.org
Blog: http://www.codersrevolution.com

EJ Jaquet

Oct 3, 2012, 2:37:11 AM10/3/12
to col...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

What I would like in ColdBox 4 is the opportunity to choose for a NoSQL (MongoDB?) to use with the virtual entityservice and other ORM option. In Grails you have the possibility to annotate a bean to tell him to use the Hibernate or MonogoDB plugin for ORM. So in 1 app, you can use both.

Is that something that can be looked into?

Kind regards.

Erik-Jan Jaquet

adk

Oct 3, 2012, 3:28:08 AM10/3/12
to col...@googlegroups.com
I would like to see an API to allow the community to easily extend/modify/create debug panels beyond the dumpVar trick. I'd also like to see the debugging panels able to be run in a separate tab (like CF debug panel, Firebug, etc.) so that it's completley separate from the page being rendered. (you could even integrate them into Firebug/Chrome Dev Tools... although this is more work and multiple moving targets)

For instance, if the debug panels were pulled out and loaded as modules, community members could easily add/modify them by just dropping a new package into the modules folder...

Andrew Scott

Oct 3, 2012, 5:02:03 AM10/3/12
to col...@googlegroups.com
Cool...

--
Regards,
Andrew Scott
WebSite: http://www.andyscott.id.au/

Nolan Dubeau

Oct 3, 2012, 8:09:24 AM10/3/12
to col...@googlegroups.com
+1.  I had a requirement for this some time ago as well and think it would be very useful.

Nolan Dubeau

Sent from my Commodore-64
Load *.*,8,1

br...@bradwood.com

Oct 3, 2012, 11:38:43 AM10/3/12
to col...@googlegroups.com
EJ, thanks for the input.  We can definitely put that on the list to look into.   While I'm familiar with NoSQL and I know there's some libraries out there for working with Couch and Mongo, I don't know if there's any full ORMs in CF for any of them yet.  We'll have to research what's currently out there.  Any existing CF projects you can point us toward would be helpful.  I know NoSQL is a rapidly changing landscape right now.

Thanks!

~Brad

ColdBox Platform Evangelist
Ortus Solutions, Corp

E-mail: br...@coldbox.org
ColdBox Platform: http://www.coldbox.org
Blog: http://www.codersrevolution.com

Luis Majano

Oct 3, 2012, 11:49:24 AM10/3/12
to col...@googlegroups.com
Funny you mention this, as this is already part of the 4 roadmap.  The debugger is being removed from the core and added as a module.
--
signature0.jpg

Luis Majano

Oct 3, 2012, 11:50:27 AM10/3/12
to col...@googlegroups.com
Hi Erik,

Great point.  I guess the problem might be then we need to build an ORM around NoSQL.  So not sure if this is in the roadmap already for Hibernate, I actually think it is.  So it might just be a core CFML thing.
--
signature0.jpg
Message has been deleted

br...@bradwood.com

Oct 8, 2012, 11:23:00 AM10/8/12
to col...@googlegroups.com
That is interesting.  I read through their site and FAQs, but I don't completely understand how Yeoman works.  It seems to be build mostly on Grunt.  Is your thought that there could exist a command line tool to manage ColdBox "packages" and scaffold new apps?
Have you seen what Jim Spoonemore has done with GrapeStack? (http://www.grapestack.com/)

Thanks!

~Brad

ColdBox Platform Evangelist
Ortus Solutions, Corp

E-mail: br...@coldbox.org
ColdBox Platform: http://www.coldbox.org
Blog: http://www.codersrevolution.com

Oct 9, 2012, 7:22:17 PM10/9/12
to col...@googlegroups.com, col...@googlegroups.com
Yeah that is my thought.  I have seen grapestack but personally there are things in there that I wouldn't use so it would be more ideal for me at least if it was modular using some kind of package manager that maybe has some similarities to the way Yeoman, or NPM and Node work.

Nolan Dubeau

Sent from my Commodore-64
Load *.*,8,1