warning in logs - resembles IPv4-address itself

Andrii Loshkovskyi

Dec 28, 2011, 7:02:04 AM12/28/11
to codership
Hello,

I have noticed that I am having many such messages in the Galera logs
during the sync process:

111228 4:20:21 [Warning] IP address '98.158.*.*' has been resolved to
the host name '90.158.*.*.static.example.com', which resembles IPv4-
address itself.

I suspect that Galera is doing DNS lookups and probably some of them
are not successful. Could you please explain on this? Is there any
possibility to disable such DNS lookups to speed up syncing?

Many thanks.

Teemu Ollakka

Dec 28, 2011, 10:53:15 AM12/28/11
to codership

Hi,

This warning seems to come from MySQL ACL code. The reason is that
reverse DNS lookup returns hostname which resembles IPv4 address
(hostname starts with '98.158.'). One way to get rid of this warning
and DNS lookups is to put

skip-name-resolve

in my.cnf. However, in this case you can use only IP addresses in
MySQL grant tables. For more information see http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/dns.html.

- Teemu