Hack Night Project Pick List

Peter Thompson

Jun 11, 2014, 12:16:23 AM6/11/14
to code-for-sa...@googlegroups.com
Hi All - as many of you know, we are making it a priority to show case a Brigade Project each Hack Night. Well as awesome as our current projects and teams are, we know there are many more great ideas out there and we want to know about them. That said, if you have an idea or project you'd like to propose the SF Brigade take on, post it here and we'll make sure to get you or just your idea in the spot light.

Have a great idea, but don't think you have the time to commit? No problem. Let us know. Your vision may be just the project an eager SF Brigadier is looking for.

Got more questions? You know where to find/email me.

Thanks!

Peter

Sana Jahani

Jul 8, 2014, 7:28:55 PM7/8/14
to code-for-sa...@googlegroups.com
Hi All -

I am currently an architecture and city & regional planning student at UC Berkeley interning at McCall Design Group in San Francisco. I am working on a project for the firm that involves the exploration of the potential uses of an intra-block. An intra-block is the open, green space found behind homes - more familiarly known as a backyard. But our project re-envisions the intra-block as a fence-less, public, open space. The implications of such a notion are huge. What can a single block of homes do with approximately an acre of land? Grow a garden? Set up fog catchers? Build a community center? What does this mean for our goal to create a sustainable San Francisco?

For the project, I am working on collecting data and quantifying the incentives of creating a fence-less, urban backyard. For example, if you set up x number of fog catchers, you will collect x gallons of water a day and be able to grow x plant on the acre of land and sell it for x number of dollars. My goal, however, is to create a tool or an app  that would allow the public to see their neighborhood block and have information and data available to them about what they could do as a community to produce value from their property.

I have no coding background and the data collection portion of this project is consuming most of my time. I'd love to discuss some ideas and suggestions that you would have in regards to how I can go about creating this tool.

Please feel free to check out our blog and follow the project.

Thanks,
Sana

Peter Thompson

Aug 3, 2014, 2:00:50 AM8/3/14
to code-for-sa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sana - sorry I was late getting back to you on this. Sounds like you've already got plugged in with Laura and are on your way with this project. I love the concept btw. I'll try and introduce myself next hack night, look forward to seeing this take off.

Peter