Can CocoaAsyncSocket create server on iOS?

Natt

Dec 19, 2011, 2:21:20 AM12/19/11
to CocoaAsyncSocket
I want to create an application on iOS that acts as a listener to
incoming data from a Mac OS X applications acting as a client.

Is that possible? Or do I have to do it the other way around? I just
want to cut the initialization turn by 1 step.

Thank you very much,

Robbie Hanson

Dec 19, 2011, 2:25:57 AM12/19/11
to cocoaasy...@googlegroups.com
Please see the EchoServer projects that are included in the repository as an example of how to setup a listener socket on Mac/iOS.

-Robbie Hanson
-Deusty, LLC

JP May

Dec 19, 2011, 2:59:15 AM12/19/11
to cocoaasy...@googlegroups.com

Dear Natt, you sure can. In fact it's a case of "without CocoaAsyncSocket we'd all be buggered!" :)

I notice you said this: "I just want to cut the initialization turn by 1 step."

If what you mean is you want the USER to have as few initialisation steps as possible, i.e. you want the devices to connect really quickly with as few as possible steps by the user ("do you want to be a server, select players, etc")

I am obsessed by achieving that in networking, and yes, CocoaAsyncSocket is your friend here. You also have to get really good at the subtleties of Bonjour

If you check out for example the app Padracer, it connects in a pleasing "absolutely instant" manner. The users do not have to select anything at all, there are no dialogues whatsoever, you do not have to choose a server etc. You just turn on a pad and done and the done connects as a steering wheel. Or as you say on a mac you start the mac version and a fone version and they connect

So yes if you meant "as few initialisation steps for the user as possible" you can do exactly that with the wonders of CocoaAsyncSocket ! Hope it helps … merry xmas