Williamson's Sapsucker in Red Canyon Park north of Canon City

SeEttaM .

Jan 26, 2015, 2:37:22 AM1/26/15
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Yesterday I found a female Williamson's Sapsucker drilling sap wells in 2 juniper and 1 pinyon pine tree in Red Canyon Park about 10 miles north of Canon City.  Previously I have seen and posted about the hundreds of old sap wells I have seen in the trees in this pinyon-juniper habitat over the years but never finding any sapsucker there though I have birded in spring, summer and fall.  Though 1 bird does not confirm that sapsuckers are overwintering in this park it seems pretty likely.  I did get several very good photos of the bird and several of the sap wells and tree in which she was working that I have uploaded to my Birds and Nature blog.

SeEtta Moss
Canon City