Lewis's Woodpecker Chaffee County

Dan Stringer

May 27, 2016, 8:25:43 AM5/27/16
to Colorado Birds
Yesterday in the town of Buena Vista (Chaffee Co) I went to a place where Joey Kellner had shown me Lewis's Woodpecker a couple winters ago. I saw two during my short afternoon visit. Also present were over 100 raucous Pinon Jays, foraging from ground to coniferous to deciduous, making more noise than I could stand if I lived nearby.

Highway 24 runs through town, turn left on Brookdale Ave, R on N Pleasant Ave, Lewis's were in the dead branches and on a wooden power pole in the parking area of Congregational United Church.

Dan Stringer
Larkspur, CO

Rudi Nuissl

May 29, 2016, 6:21:12 PM5/29/16
to Colorado Birds
Thanks for the location. I was able to relocate the Lewis's Woodpecker quite quickly this morning in the tree in the back of the parking lot.