Hawk Id

Jeannie

Oct 22, 2014, 4:54:30 PM10/22/14
to Colorado Birds

I can not identify this hawk that I saw last week at the Dog park at Cherry Creek State Park, Arapahoe County.  Many people I know have tried to ID it, but so far, no one is sure.

Please take a look and any  help  would be appreciated.

http://www.pbase.com/image/157919391

Thanks,
Jeannie Girard

Aurora

Joe Roller

Oct 22, 2014, 5:11:39 PM10/22/14
to Jeannie Girard, Colorado Birds
Very nice photo! Thanks. This appears to be an adult (based on breast pattern; jury would show vertical streaks) Cooper's Hawk, based on proportions of bird,
rounded, not squared off tail, position of eye in head, etc.
I have never seen one this dark! Off hand I would call it melanistic. Even the terminal tail band is dark and it is usually white.
 I don't think they have pale and dark "phases" like buteos. I will be intrigued by comments from raptor experts.

Joe Roller,*
Denver

*Raptor ignoramus

Kay Niyo

Oct 22, 2014, 5:42:55 PM10/22/14
to jrol...@gmail.com, Jeannie Girard, Colorado Birds

I am not a hawk expert either!  But I agree with Joe.  Adult Cooper’s based on the head shape, eyes, tail, and horizontal breast streaking, etc.  I wished I had the photo in PhotoShop so I could lighten it a bit.  Would guess that the breast would tend to show a little more rufous orange in the streaking and not quite as dark brown, but don’t know that.  Didn’t try it since it is a private photo in pbase.

Kay

Kayleen A. Niyo, Ph.D.

Niyo Scientific Communications

5651 Garnet St.

Golden, CO 80403

303.679.6646

K...@KayNiyo.com; www.KayNiyo.com

Ira Sanders

Oct 22, 2014, 6:39:31 PM10/22/14
to Kayleen A Niyo, cobirds, Jeannie Girard, jrol...@gmail.com

What about a dark morph juvenile Broad-winged Hawk? Just a thought. I know the tail looks long and the bird looks too thin. But again, just a thought.
I've never seen a Cooper's Hawk that dark.

Ira Sanders

Chip Clouse

Oct 22, 2014, 7:07:45 PM10/22/14
to Ira Sanders, cobirds, Kayleen Niyo, jrol...@gmail.com, Jeannie Girard

Plus eye color is wrong for adult Coop, unless it's a light and photography thing.

Chip Clouse
Olde Town Arvada

Jeannie

Oct 22, 2014, 7:23:16 PM10/22/14
to Colorado Birds
It was not very light, and I saw a dark bird..raised my camera and took a few shots...and then couldn't identify it. I had taken a Cooper's there the week before at a SW exit, and they just didn't look the same

Jeannie

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 2:54 PM, Jeannie <nikonj...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Jeannie
View my images :

Jeannie

Oct 22, 2014, 7:37:48 PM10/22/14
to Colorado Birds
It was not very light, and I saw a dark bird..raised my camera and took a few shots...and then couldn't identify it. I had taken a Cooper's there the week before at a SW exit, and they just didn't look the same

Jeannie

Art Hudak

Oct 22, 2014, 9:47:58 PM10/22/14
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Jeannie,
Adult Cooper's as has been said.The creatures breast color is brown, not red or rusty! An oddity! By virtue of melanism,leucism or albinism. Or any combination thereof.
Art Hudak **
Denver county
**Raptor ignoramus 'extraordinaire'