Sad news in the passing of long-time Colorado birder, Warren Finch

Joe Roller

Jul 21, 2014, 7:45:30 PM7/21/14
to Colorado Birds
Warren's son, Larry Finch, just phoned me to report his father's passing today. Warren was a grand man in Colorado birding and will be missed by literally hundreds of birders.

Born on October 27, 1924, in a small town in South Dakota, Warren became a world-renowned uranium geologist, working for the United States Geologic Survey and finally retiring as Emeritus Scientist.  His work took him to scores of countries and the list of his scientific publications was long.

One fond memory I have of Warren is that when he retired from the USGS and cleaned out his office, he asked whether his hand-drawn map of all the earth's uranium deposits should stay with the Survey. He was told, "No, take that map home if you want to." A few months later, Warren got a call from his sheepish successor asking if he would please return the map. As it turned out, all of that detailed information could be found in no other place!

Warren loved birds and birded throughout the world, but he especially loved the birds of Colorado. For decades he was active in the Denver Field Ornithologists, where he served as President of the and Historian and received the prestigious Ptarmigan Award. In 2009 he was honored by the Colorado Field Ornithologists with a Lifetime Achievement Award.

Warren is survived by his wife, Mary, and their children. A funeral mass will be celebrated at St. Jude's Catholic Church, located at Florida and Garrison, at 1 PM on Monday, July 28.

An obituary is expected to appear in Sunday's Denver Post.

Farewell, old friend, Warren Finch.

Joe Roller,
Denver

Glenn and Laurie

Jul 21, 2014, 10:08:12 PM7/21/14
to Colorado Birds
Have you ever met someone who you are sure has seen way, WAY more birds than you?  God bless you Warren Finch.

Glenn Walbek
Castle Rock, CO

Steve Stachowiak & Melody Egge

Jul 22, 2014, 12:50:35 AM7/22/14
to jrol...@gmail.com, Colorado Birds
Cobirders,

Thank you to Joe Roller for the post regarding the passing of Warren Finch. I first met Warren back in the 80’s at a DFO meeting. This was back in the day before cellphones, email and the internet when the DFO was still the grand dame of the Colorado birding community. Many birders would flock to the monthly meeting at the museum and it struck me how Warren always stood out as a true gentleman amongst the uncultured listers flitting about room. I have fond memories of chance meetings with him at the Wheat Ridge Greenbelt back when the birding Gods made the "tree bridge" the center of the birding universe for a period of time.

Warren was the DFO historian for many years and there was not a better person for the position. He recognized a level of importance in a bird club that began in 1935 and sponsored weekly field trips that continue to this day. His March 7, 2012 post to Cobirds references his published articles on the history of DFO and the need for similar treatise of the CFO. Anyone that reads or posts to Cobirds or the CFO Facebook pages or Twitter account owes it to themselves to go back and dip into Warren’s history of birding in the State.

I will truly miss the sense of calm that Warren exuded and the aplomb with which he navigated the universe.

Peaceful birding indeed,

Steve Stachowiak
Highlands Ranch, CO