Chatfield SP - road open

David Suddjian

Jul 6, 2015, 11:20:58 PM7/6/15
to Colorado Birds
Following my post yesterday Scott S. noted that the perimeter road at Chatfield had been opened by July 5, and when I returned today, so it was, and clear of water, too. Various access points, side roads and parking areas remain flooded and closed, though, including Plum Creek Picnic Area, Kingfisher Lot and the road to the Gravel
Pond.

I birded some areas in the park this morning in intermittent light rain. A lot of swallows were brought down or concentrated by the rain, and of interest to me were 2 Chimney Swifts low over the end of the road to the Plum Creek Nature Area with a mixed swallow troop (Douglas). Grasshopper Sparrows (3) continue along this road. An Eastern Phoebe was very near Kingfisher Bridge. The Platte in this area had Red-eyed Vireos, Least Flycatchers and all. Everything except the road is still flooded in that area, but there is a nice upland walk south along the Douglas side of the riparian from the Platte River parking lot just east of Kingfisher Bridge.

David Suddjian
Littleton, CO