73rd Boulder CBC preliminary results

William Schmoker

Dec 18, 2014, 12:21:46 PM12/18/14
to Cobirds
Folks- 33 teams scoured their territories on the Sunday, December 14th Boulder Christmas Bird Count.  On our 73rd running of the count we have provisionally counted 105 species along with three additional count-week species.

The weather was certainly interesting, starting out partially cloudy and calm but then degrading into rain progressing into sleet and wet snow in the lower territories and steady snow up high.  Our uppermost counters reported 4 or 5 inches of accumulation during the day, and I know I grew 2 or 3 inches taller for a while due to tenacious mud adhering to my boots.

One of the count-week birds is a new species for the count- a Say's Phoebe found by Nick Moore on the South CU Campus on Tuesday.

Other rarities, seen 5 or less times on prior Boulder CBCs, were:
Ross's Goose & Greater Scaup (seen on 4 prior counts)
Lapland Longspur (3 prior)
Northern Cardinal (2 prior, same bird in N. Boulder back for its 3rd winter)
Eastern Towhee (1 prior count)

It has been famously said of our US Postal Service Letter Carriers that,  "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."

I'd say the same sentiment applies to our diligent territory leaders and participants who head out each year whatever the conditions.  Thanks for making the count such a success!  Thanks also to Bill Kaempfer for hosting our compilation potluck, to Petrea Mah and Pam Piombino for organizing food and beverages and to folks who stuck around to help clean up at the potluck.  We also deeply appreciate the help we get from the City of Boulder Open Space & Mountain Parks with permitted access to off-trail areas.

Thanks again, & good luck to counters throughout the remainder of the count period- Bill Schmoker, Longmont
  • Bill Schmoker •

  http://schmoker.org/
  http://blog.aba.org/author/bill-schmoker
  http://travelingtrinovid.com/author/bill-schmoker