Alder Flycatcher, CSR, El Paso Co., Thurs

Steve Brown

May 27, 2016, 8:07:15 AM5/27/16
to COBirds
Hey COBirders,

Bird-of-the-Day yesterday at Clear Spring Ranch was a Second-year Alder Flycatcher, banded.
It didn't call, and I don't pretend I could separate it in the field from the more expected Willow Flycatcher, but a series of precise primary feather comparisons consistently indicated Alder.
Photos available if you are interested.

It was a productive morning, (3rd busiest day this season) with an arrival of more locally-breeding species, but especially late-arriving, second-year female birds, looking pretty bedraggled in their yet-to-be-replaced plumages. Included were Com Yellowthroat (9), Yellow Warbler (4), Wilson's Warbler (2),  MacGillivray's Warbler, Yellow-breasted Chat, Gray Catbird, Swainson's Thrush, and caught, but unbanded, male Black-chinned and Broad-tailed Hummingbirds.

Since I'm writing thus at 6 a.m., you can tell the forecast today is not conducive to operating nets - Rain and Strong Winds. A good day for data reporting!

Steve Brown
Colo Spgs

Sent from my iPad