VAUX'S SWIFT -- Pueblo County 4/28

Brandon K. Percival

Apr 28, 2015, 1:01:10 PM4/28/15
to Cobirds

This morning around 7:17am I photographed a swift along the Arkansas River, below Pueblo Reservoir dam, west of the Cottonwood Picnic Area on the south side of the River.  The bird was flying with swallows (mostly Violet-greens).  I felt like the bird wasn't a Chimney Swift while watching it.  I was able to get four photos.  Chris Wood from Cornell (e-bird) has looked at the photos, and is good with this bird being a VAUX'S SWIFT (which would be Colorado's 1st State Record)!  Photos can be seen on my flickr site.

I have no clue, if the bird is still around, the swallows were getting higher up.  Maybe it is worth looking early tomorrow morning, though I don't know if it is worth coming to try to find it or not.  No other birders were around, when I was seeing it for a few minutes, before it disappeared.

Brandon Percival
Pueblo West, CO