Help with peep and Grebe ID (Walden Ponds, Boulder)

Nancy Rynes

Apr 29, 2013, 8:54:53 PM4/29/13
to cob...@googlegroups.com
I did a quick photo stop at Walden Ponds this morning and turned up a couple of birds I need ID help with. Any takers?

I keep wanting to call this a Western Grebe, save for the bright yellow bill and pale flanks...unfortunately it was swimming alone so I could not compare it to others:

And I *think* these little peeps are Least Sandpipers, but I'm not 100% sure...help?? They were a bit far even with my 500mm, but I could tell they were very small:

Thanks in advance for any help you can give :-)

Nancy Rynes
Lafayette, CO