Prewitt Reservoir, etc. (Washington, Logan, and Morgan Counties)

David Dowell

Jan 27, 2013, 9:00:42 AM1/27/13
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Prewitt Reservoir (currently about 95% ice-covered) remains a good place to see geese this winter, and there is still a good variety of passerines in the Russian olives and surrounding marshes along the outlet canal below the dam.  All the expected goose species were there yesterday (Jan 26) -- Canada (thousands), Cackling (hundreds), Snow (thousands), Ross's (several at least), and Greater White-Fronted (several).  The snow geese were early risers, leaving the reservoir before sunrise but returning late morning.

Ducks numbered in the thousands, mostly mallards.  I only found 5 different kinds of ducks, but maybe there are some goodies lurking in the crowd that I missed.  Gulls are few and far between (I counted 7), and with the questionable fish population, I wonder if things will stay that way.

The outlet canal requires some bushwhacking but gets birdier the farther you go.  Highlights (Washington County) included:
Harris's Sparrow
Marsh Wren
Red-Bellied Woodpecker
Cedar Waxwing (dozens)
White-breasted Nuthatch (3 eastern)
Harlan's Red-Tailed Hawk

I also found a red-bellied woodpecker along Logan County Road 25 between Prewitt Res. and Merino.  (And I see on ebird that Norm Lewis reported one even farther west along the South Platte -- in Brush SWA -- in December.)

In Morgan County, I believe there is a Krider's Red-Tailed Hawk between Brush and Fort Morgan.  It was perched on a pole next to I-76 near the Dodd Bridge exit (86).  Although I viewed it at highway speed, I had a good look, and the hawk's head appeared to be completely white.  Birders in the area might keep an eye out for it.

David Dowell
Longmont, CO