Birding by Bike, Lafayette (Boulder County)

Nancy Rynes

Feb 17, 2013, 1:35:39 PM2/17/13
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Went out for an hour or so late-AM bike ride in Lafayette and hit Waneka Lake, Price Lake #1, and Erie Lake. All lakes are almost 100% ice-free.

By 9AM, Waneka Lake was bereft of waterfowl. About 2 dozen gulls out on the water, too far out for me to ID with the camera I carried.

Price Lake #1 (south of Safeway), sported a lone Horned Grebe in among 18 Red-Headed Ducks, a Common Merganser, 2 pair of Buffleheads, and 6 Common Goldeneye.

Erie Lake (north of Safeway) had an amazing number of Ring-Necked Ducks - I'm guesstimating around 350-400. Also present: about 75 Red-Headed Ducks, 20 Mallards, abt 100 Canada Geese, 6-ish RB Gulls (they were coming and going), and 22 Common Goldeneye.

A few pics, here:

Happy Birding!

Nancy Rynes
Lafayette, CO